One-Liner Wednesday — Communicate

“More and more we are into communications; and less and less into communication.”

Studs Terkel, American author, historian, actor, and broadcaster

Do you know the difference between communications and communication?

Communications is the technology and systems used for sending and receiving messages via, for example, mail, telephone, radio, TV, and the Internet. It’s the act of, and the vehicles for, mass communications.

Communication is the exchange of information between individuals by means of speaking, writing, or using a common system of signs of behavior. It’s the conveying or sharing of ideas and feelings.

Given that, how do you feel about Studs Terkel’s quote?

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt. Image credit: Subhamoy Das.

14 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Communicate

1. writerravenclaw August 18, 2021 / 6:40 am

I think we are losing the art of communications, and writing in some cases. Nobody on here because we all share a love of writing in one way or another. I think we are so attached to our mobile phones, we forget to look up to see who is in front of us.

• Fandango August 18, 2021 / 8:12 am

“…we are so attached to our mobile phones, we forget to look up to see who is in front of us.” That definitely rings true for many.

2. Lou Carreras August 18, 2021 / 8:44 am

Studs remains relevant years after his passing. I think one of the nice things about WP is that most of us are interested in communicating, and the mode we use just facilitates that.

3. Nope, Not Pam August 18, 2021 / 1:19 pm

Spot on, my kids text me. When I call them they act surprised ☹️

4. cagedunn August 18, 2021 / 4:34 pm

My degree was communication; SO was communications. We have trouble getting together on the same party line … He’s about the how, I’m about the who.
    Says it all.

5. Carol anne August 19, 2021 / 5:29 pm

Have to say, I agree! We’re definitely more into communications nowadays. Xx

6. leigha66 September 4, 2021 / 12:08 am

Wise quote. So true in my life right now! My daughter texts, rarely calls. And with our “house guest” I barely can communicate to my boyfriend except through texts sent across the room on important topics we don’t wish to air in the open.