Fandango’s Provocative Question #131

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

I recently read some interesting statistics regarding how Americans perceive climate change. In a poll by The Economist/YouGov, 72% of Democrats believe governments can take actions to slow climate change, compared with only 24% of Republicans.

More than 80% of Democrats, half of independents, and less than a third of Republicans believe that human activity is warming the planet. Two-thirds of Republicans say massive wildfires, prolonged droughts, and severe hurricanes are events that “just happen from time to time.”

So with this in mind, my provocative question this week is this…

Do you believe that human activity is a significant contributor to climate change or do you concur with those who believe that changes to the climate naturally occur from time to time?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

20 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #131

1. Marleen August 18, 2021 / 9:27 am

We’re doomed. (And, no, I don’t feel depressed in saying it; I’m just observing that positive changes in human activity aren’t occurring soon enough on a wide scale.) Worst of all, the “lungs of the earth” are being deliberately destroyed as quickly as can be planned and sneaked.

• Marleen August 18, 2021 / 10:18 am

What I was largely talking about, was Brazil and the actual Amazon, but here is also a current story about Jamaica. [Jamaica, by the way, is an example of what happened to people who were able to insist on not being slaves, per se, before the United States ended slavery. The people were still slaves, in a different way, because they were told they “owed” their former owners (all the way into contemporary times).]

How a Sovereign Group in Jamaica
      Is Fighting a US Mining Company

VICE News | Jul 29, 2021

2. cagedunn August 18, 2021 / 4:50 pm

The planet is in a warming stage, made mucho rapido by the crap done and denied by human activity. We don’t seem to want to clean up our yard, even knowing the weather is about to turn.

3. Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2021 / 7:55 pm

I’m sorry I was away, but I wanted to respond. Obviously, this is one of the things I wish i could change. What really makes me crazy is that PEOPLE ARE STILL MOVING TO A PLACE KNOWN TO BE BURNING DOWN. And when they get there, their first email will complain about the smoke and the fire and the lack of water and how they can’t breathe.

What is WRONG with us? Anyway, post up tomorrow. I don’t know if we’ll be online or the wind will have blown us away, speaking of climate change. But this has happened before, just not in a long time. It’s rare, but it happens. What IS happening is that there are so many storms now.

• Fandango August 21, 2021 / 10:25 pm

I hope you don’t get hit too hard.

4. leigha66 September 3, 2021 / 11:03 pm

We are responsible I am sure… I only hope it is not too late to turn it around.