Electrifying

Some of you may have noticed — although probably not many — that I wasn’t around much yesterday. That’s because my wife and I spent about four hours at a car dealership to test drive an electric vehicle. And by the time that four hours had passed, we were driving home in our new EV.

Then, once we got home, I spent another four or so hours reading the owner’s manual for our new EV. Because, if you’ve spent your entire life driving a gas- or diesel-powered car with an internal combustion engine, as I have, driving an EV is very different.

I’m not talking about the mechanics of driving. That’s pretty much the same. I’m talking about the driving experience. There’s literally no engine noise. When I turned the car on for the first time, there was no sound of the motor starting up. And when all of the electronics on the instrument cluster and the infotainment center lit up, I wasn’t sure what to do next. it was weird.

I think I have a pretty good handle now on how everything is supposed to work and what all of the icons displayed in front of me mean. But we’ll see tomorrow when my wife and I drive into San Francisco to have lunch with our daughter.

I’m composing this post at 11 pm and the car has been plugged into a regular 120 Volt, 20 Amp circuit wall outlet since we got home at 3:00 this afternoon. the car is now 50% charged, which should get me about 140 miles. It also means tomorrow I need to find an electrician to install a 240 Volt, 40 Amp circuit in my garage so that I can install a Level 2 charging station there.

Why do I need to install a Level 2 charging station in my garage? Well, quite simply, a Level 1 charger will typically get four miles of driving range per hour of charging. A Level 2 charger will get an average of 32 miles of driving range per hour of charging. My new EV has a fully charged range of about 260 miles.

So do the math. If the battery is fully discharged, at four miles per hour of charging, it would take about 65 hours to fully charge the car. But at 32 miles per hour, the car can be fully charged in about eight hours, or essentially overnight. Bingo!

Anyway, it’s time, after all this excitement, to go to sleep. I’m scheduling this post to publish at 3 am my time and I figure that by the time I wake up at about 7 am, my car should be up to a range of about 180 miles. That should get me to San Francisco and back with plenty of juice to spare.

33 thoughts on “Electrifying

1. Sadje August 12, 2021 / 3:08 am

Wow! New EV! Fantastic. Congratulations on the new care and being a responsible citizen of the planet. 👍👍👍

2. Dee Min August 12, 2021 / 3:35 am

Awesome!!! Congrats. Drop a couple pix 😀 of your environmentally-friendly ‘toy’. Safe travels.

3. Shweta Suresh August 12, 2021 / 3:55 am

Wow. Congratulations on your new EV and for going sustainable. I hope it goes well!

4. mariamichaela August 12, 2021 / 4:19 am

Wow! Congratulations on the new car!

5. bushboy August 12, 2021 / 4:26 am

That’s great. The first time I drove an EV, I stopped at an intersection and thought the car had cut out. Yes get the better power system 🙂

6. Terveen Gill August 12, 2021 / 5:03 am

Wow!
    That’s great!
    Congratulations!
    You’re being environment friendly and enjoying the perks of modern technology. 🙂

7. tidalscribe.com August 12, 2021 / 5:15 am

My older son has an electric car, but as he learns everything fast he quickly adapted. With the cost of petrol or diesel in England he finds it mega cheap to run. What I have gleaned so far is that electric cars are like toy cars – the battery takes up most of the space and there are no actual working parts! all you have to remember when you speed along is that pedestrians cannot hear you coming…

8. rugby843 August 12, 2021 / 6:51 am

Good luck! Having it quiet in a car would be nice!

Sent from my iPhone

9. Lou Carreras August 12, 2021 / 9:08 am

I am going to eagerly follow your posts on this. Actual info from someone putting the experience down means more to me than a news article. And BTW – congratulations on the purchase, and the step into the future.

10. Nope, Not Pam August 12, 2021 / 1:09 pm

Congrats, safe driving and enjoy.

11. pensitivity101 August 12, 2021 / 1:30 pm

Good luck. Will be interesting to share your experience. Sadly a range of 260 miles would not get me to my mammogram at the breast clinic where I had my cancer treatment (387 miles away). Also interested at how much it will cost you to charge your vehicle. Keep us posted!!!

• Fandango August 12, 2021 / 7:05 pm

Are there no charging stations between your home and the clinic? There are a dozen in the little town in which I live.

• pensitivity101 August 13, 2021 / 1:38 am

Very few as we don’t use motorways on our trip. We have two in the car park here. Obviously for a long trip like that, we would have to do some homework for charging stations, plus of course the time factor involved as we do the trip in one day due to overnight accommodation costs.

12. Hetty Eliot August 12, 2021 / 7:06 pm

I like the idea of how quiet it is inside the car. I don’t think my house could support charging it however. We can’t use the dryer and oven at the same time, or the washing machine and dishwasher, without a fuse blowing, so I shudder to think what would happen with a car.

13. Marleen August 13, 2021 / 12:46 am

Oh, my… I’m finally lying down and taking a deep breath; it’s been a long day. I did notice that you weren’t around a lot yesterday.

That’s quite a difference between a level one and a level two charging station. Important information. I’m thinking of an EV in 2023.

A big high-five on choosing all electric. I’ll enjoy hearing more about it. Have fun going into San Francisco, and seeing your daughter!

14. annieasksyou August 13, 2021 / 9:21 am

This is great to hear: a real step into the future. Please keep us informed—and enjoy!

15. annieasksyou August 13, 2021 / 9:21 am

16. leigha66 August 24, 2021 / 9:54 pm

Congratulations on your new car! I hope you don’t have to wait too long to power up your garage outlet… that is a LONG time for a charge at 120.

• Fandango August 24, 2021 / 10:47 pm

Just installed the faster charging station this past Friday. Much faster!