Tidbits of the Week — Our Divided Nation

I subscribe to The Week magazine and there were three interesting tidbits that appeared in the latest issue of the magazine. The first two show how the Republicans and their anti-masking, anti-vaccination drum beat has divided our nation possibly beyond repair.

A shopper at an Omaha grocery store was shot with a BB gun for wearing a face mask. The unnamed victim was leaving the store when an unmasked assailant spat at him and then shot him multiple times, causing injuries to the victim’s face, neck, and shoulder. “I asked him why he would do that,” the victim said, “and he said: ‘You’re on the other team.’”

*****

Doctors in Covid-ravaged Missouri say that anti-vaccine sentiment runs so high that some patients are wearing disguises to get their shots. Dr. Priscilla Frase of Ozarks Healthcare says patients have begged her, “‘Please, please, please don’t let anybody know that I got this vaccine.’” The hospital now offers shots in a “private setting” to protect patients from being shunned.

*****

And this last tidbit begs the question, “What is he so desperately trying to hide?”

Former President Donald Trump’s lawyer this week said he will fight “tooth and nail” to block the Treasury Department from releasing Trump’s tax returns to House Democrats. The new legal battle follows a ruling by the Justice Department that the Treasury Department must comply with a House committee’s request for six years of Trump’s returns. Treasury planned to comply, but the case could still take months to resolve.

In 2019, Trump’s Treasury Secretary, Steve Mnuchin, refused the House’s request, saying it “lacks a legitimate legislative purpose.” Trump’s lawyer said nothing has changed since and argued that the real aim of the House inquiry — said to be undertaken to examine how the IRS audits presidents — is to embarrass Trump.

I’m convinced that there is nothing that can embarrass Trump. He has no shame; he is beyond embarrassment.

12 thoughts on “Tidbits of the Week — Our Divided Nation

1. Marleen August 8, 2021 / 2:12 pm

I’ve been taking my mom to church [Catholic in the last few years although she was not Catholic the rest of her life and now projects her own past anti-Catholicism onto others] in Saint Louis (Missouri). Almost everyone is wearing a mask. A bonus is that I can suck on a lemon drop or pick and choose which things I want to say or sing (which I would anyway though).

2. XingfuMama August 8, 2021 / 2:28 pm

We need the legislature to mandate that no tax money goes to help un-vaccinated people with covid related medical expenses and let it go. You can get vaccinated or take your chances. Medical exemptions only.

3. Terveen Gill August 8, 2021 / 8:15 pm

This is really terrifying. What are people using instead of brains these days. Bucket loads of crap probably.

4. jilldennison August 8, 2021 / 10:23 pm

What I have often referred to as ‘The Great Divide’ began back in 2008 with the election of the first Black president in our history. The plotting began at that point, emerged in the “Tea Party” movement, peaked in the Reign of Trump, and then was taken to new heights by the pandemic. Like you, I’m not sure the divide can ever be narrowed, that the wounds can ever be healed, but if not, then where does that leave this nation? Unlike back in the 1800s, there is no geographical divide, but only an ideological one that exists even between neighbors. Rather than torn in two, I think this nation may become torn into shreds if we don’t find common ground. I think it’s quite possible that the ‘common ground’ will come in the form of a disaster so gross that it forces us to pull together for our very survival. And you’re right … Trump has no conscience … I seriously doubt Trump is a human being, and he MUST become irrelevant — sooner than later — before he is allowed to do further harm to not only the U.S., but to the world.

• Fandango August 8, 2021 / 10:51 pm

I think this nation is already in the throes of being torn into shreds and it may be too late to try to piece it back together. We are so divided that there is no common ground left to bring us together. The pandemic should have done that, but, instead, it pulled us further apart. I am sorry, but I have lost hope. Personally speaking, I’m at the age where I may not be around when the whole thing comes tumbling down. But it’s the children and grandchildren I am really worried about.

• jilldennison August 9, 2021 / 10:09 am

I think you and I are of a similar age, and I agree … I won’t likely be here to see the end, but I care for not only my children & grandchildren, but everyone’s. Yes, I thought the pandemic would bring people together, but thanks to the ‘president’ we had at that time, it only drove new wedges, only widened the divide. I still have hope, though it grows dimmer almost by the day, but I still have hope that something, somehow, will open the eyes of the ignorant. Sigh.