Weekend Writing Prompt — Spammers

No matter what I do, I can’t seem to thwart the spammers.

Each night, before I go to sleep, I “permanently delete” those bogus comments that wind up in my spam and trash folders.

But when I wake up in the morning and look at my comments page, there are two to three dozen new sham comments in each folder.

They are persistant.

(Exactly 63 words)

Written for Sammi Cox’s Weekend Writing Prompt, where the word is “thwart.”

27 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Prompt — Spammers

1. newepicauthor August 7, 2021 / 1:54 pm

I have been getting these really odd comments lately, which seems like a reblog, but there is no link back to my posts. I got tired of deleting them so I added missionaryevangelistcathy to my list of blocked commenters.

2. Nope, Not Pam August 7, 2021 / 3:13 pm

One has to wonder what motivates them 🤔

3. Taswegian1957 August 7, 2021 / 5:22 pm

Askimet seems to take care of most of my spam comments but occasionally one gets through, I have to approve new commenters and if I think it might be spam I don’t.

• Fandango August 7, 2021 / 10:13 pm

That’s smart. I don’t moderate comments, which may be why I get so many spam comments.

4. Marleen August 7, 2021 / 7:37 pm

Spam is better than a scam.

5. Shweta Suresh August 7, 2021 / 10:38 pm

It’s very difficult to thwart them indeed. I end up blocking such spammers. The number of spam comments has significantly reduced after that

• Fandango August 7, 2021 / 10:40 pm

I block a few dozen, so they go to trash instead of spam. But I dispose of comments in both my spam and trash folders while I’m at it.

6. mariamichaela August 7, 2021 / 10:58 pm

I got a lot of spam when I first started. That’s why I started moderating comments. They can be a pain

7. jilldennison August 8, 2021 / 12:32 am

Luckily, Akismet catches 99.8% of my spam comments. What I have found helps is to change your settings to turn off comments after 30 days, for most spam comments seize on older posts. I was getting around 100 per day, but now I only get one occasionally. My bigger problem is spam emails … I average 120 per day of those, and while my spam filter does a good job, I still have to scroll through them daily to make sure something important didn’t accidentally get marked as spam. Sigh.

8. Marilyn Armstrong August 8, 2021 / 9:46 am

Sometimes I get hundreds of spam messages in a single day, and some days, hardly any. But when there are a lot, it’s almost always one spammer using many different names. I can’t figure out what those people think they are going to achieve. Does ANYONE take that stuff seriously? i don’t approve comments either because it’s just too time consuming, but probably I should. Especially since I don’t get nearly as many comments as I used to get. Views are the same as ever but comments are a lot fewer.

• Fandango August 8, 2021 / 12:05 pm

I sometimes don’t comment on a post I’ve read if I see that others have already said what I would have said in my comment.

9. Terveen Gill August 8, 2021 / 10:04 pm

Akismet does a great job!
    So helpful.
    Just have to make sure that certain credible comments haven’t been labelled as spam. 🙂

• Fandango August 9, 2021 / 7:27 am

Why? I can’t figure that out, either.

10. Bill August 10, 2021 / 6:11 am

Deep sigh. The dark side uses technology to thwart us. Not fun.