Unable to Bridge the Gap

“I have a meeting at the church with the pastor,” Suzanne said to her boyfriend Travis. “Wanna come with?”

“I’ll pass,” Travis said.

“But why, Travis?” she asked. “I really want you there with me.”

“Suzanne, you know how put off I am by anything to do with organized religion,” he said. “The whole concept is too dogmatic. There are all these rules about what you must and mustn’t do with your life and stupid rituals you’re expected to follow. I’m just not into that shit.”

Suzanne’s eyes started to tear up. “I wanted you to meet my pastor. I was hoping he could give us advice about how to make our relationship work, given that I love Jesus and you don’t even believe in God.”

“Look Suzanne,” Travis said, “we’ve got a good thing going between us and I adore you, but we just don’t see eye to eye on this religious stuff. I know how strongly you feel, but there is nothing you or your pastor could say that would cause me to shift my position on this.”

“Oh Travis,” Suzanne said, grabbing his hand and squeezing it, “I love you so much and all I want for you is to have your soul saved. When you meet with the pastor, I’m sure that he will have some very poignant advice that will help you navigate the rough waters of disbelief.”

“I’m sorry, Suzanne,” Travis said, “I really hoped we could get past this and that we could be spend our lives together while giving each other the space to do our own thing on this religion thing. But I guess it’s too wide of a gap for us to bridge.”

“Are you breaking up with me?” Suzanne asked.

“I think that’s for the best,” Travis said.

“Well you can just go straight to hell and burn for eternity,” Suzanne said between sobs. “I tried to save your soul, but the devil has stolen it.”

Travis stood up, looked at Suzanne, and said, “Definitely too wide of a gap. Bye Suzanne. I wish you the best.”

Written for these daily prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (meeting), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (dogmatic), Your Daily Word Prompt (advice), The Daily Spur (shift), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (poignant).

Just FYI, this fictional tale is loosely based on a real conversation with a girl I was dating when in my twenties. We were very compatible in almost every other way but our belief systems. Of course, the names have been changed in this story to protect the innocent.

29 thoughts on “Unable to Bridge the Gap

1. Marleen August 1, 2021 / 5:09 pm

Yikes! If that’s what she was harboring, it wasn’t going to work.

2. Catxman August 1, 2021 / 6:30 pm

Any chick who’s obsessed with saving your soul needs to be given a good dose of love therapy. She should be reduced to a quivering jelly in your presence, pleased as punch to even be with you. When her obsession peaks, she can be welcomed back into a new, silent partnership with her man where she shuts the fuck up.

— Catxman

• Marleen August 2, 2021 / 4:29 am

Top Evangelical Leader On His Shocking Resignation From the SBC | Amanpour and Company

3. Nope, Not Pam August 1, 2021 / 8:46 pm

That’s a chasm which will never be bridged. Perfectly written

4. Hetty Eliot August 2, 2021 / 6:59 am

Fandango, are you gonna leave Catman’s comment up like that? I thought you hated churlish behavior. Catman is a very Trump-esque character.

• Marleen August 2, 2021 / 9:19 am

I noticed that catXman supports he who has told Melania, publicly, that she should know she’s lucky to have him. I think we all know he wouldn’t have won the Republican nomination without all the lusting after his wife. He knows it, too, (but not in any respectful way) has said a man needs a good-looking woman on his arm to succeed.

• Fandango August 2, 2021 / 12:10 pm

His comment on my post was the first time he commented on my blog.

• Fandango August 2, 2021 / 12:06 pm

I haven’t read CatXman’s blog, but from his one and only comment on my blog, I don’t think it would appeal to me.

• Hetty Eliot August 2, 2021 / 12:13 pm

I didn’t mean on your blog only, I meant I see this guy advertising himself all over the place.

• Fandango August 2, 2021 / 11:51 am

I try to keep my posts open to all comments, even to those who express ideas or perspectives I don’t agree with.

5. leigha66 August 15, 2021 / 9:30 am

Wow, she changed her tune pretty fast there from save your soul to you’re going to hell. I think this split was for the best!