Thursday Inspiration — Red or White?

Friable? Exsiccate? Are these real words or is someone trying to pull a fast one on me? I had to Google both of them to find out what each meant.

“Friable” means easily crumbled. Hey, I can build a whole story around “easily crumbled.” But “friable” is not a word I’d ever use in a conversation, much less in blog post. I don’t want my readers to have to go to Dictionary.com to figure out what the hell I’m talking about.

And then there is “exsiccate.” This means to remove moisture or to dry out. So why not use a more accessible word that is akin to “exsiccate” that your average reader would understand, like dehydrate?

Okay, this is exhausting. I’m beginning to feel king of exsiccated myself and if I don’t have something to drink soon I think my skin will start to become friable.

How about we treat ourselves to a glass of wine or two. I’ve got red or white. Which would you prefer?

Written for Jim Adams’ Thursday Inspiration prompt, where the word is “wine” plus the photo at the top of this post. And for these daily prompts: Your Daily Word Prompt (friable), Ragtag Daily Prompt (exsiccate), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (real), Word of the Day Challenge (akin), and The Daily Spur (treat).

15 thoughts on “Thursday Inspiration — Red or White?

1. bushboy July 29, 2021 / 3:02 pm

Fabulous use of the prompts Fandango. A Sav Blanc for me. Thanks for joining in 🙂 🙂

2. Marleen July 29, 2021 / 3:57 pm

I’ll drink red if I’m home “alone” or alone-ish or intimate (with people who already one hundred percent know me). It stains my lips and skin around my mouth and my teeth and so on. But I actually prefer white anyway. My go-to is Sauvignon blanc; I’ll drink Chardonnay, or Zinfandel too. Fun use of the words, by the way. I’m going to use them in everyday language, though, from this day forward.

3. Nope, Not Pam July 30, 2021 / 4:03 am

Clever 😃

4. abigfatcanofworms July 30, 2021 / 4:32 am

I have most often heard friable used in relation to soil. Friable soil is easy to dig… a happy gardener’s soil. I haven’t heard exsiccate before. But I’ve heard desiccate as in desiccated coconut. It’s weird that there are two words so similar, meaning the same thing. Maybe it’s like flammable and inflammable. Apparently opposite but actually the same. I think English just steals words from places and forgets we already have other words for that. As you can see, I am more comfortable with words that wines.

• Fandango July 30, 2021 / 6:37 am

I am not a gardener, so that explains my lack of familiarity with “friable.” I know desiccate, but not exsiccate. Even my iPhone spell-checker doesn’t know it because each time I type that word, it’s underlined with little red dots.

5. Melanie B Cee July 30, 2021 / 6:41 am

I learned a new word today! Desiccate is another more common drying out term…so I suppose it’s logical to have exsiccate do the job too?

6. leigha66 August 12, 2021 / 6:16 pm

I am partial to a white zinfandel or a blush Chablis… right now I could use a whole bottle. But darn meds wont let me!

Comments are closed.