Fandango’s Provocative Question #128

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This past week I heard someone say, “opposites attract.” A few days later I heard someone else say, “birds of a feather flock together.” These two statements seem contradictory to me. I thought about my wife and me and realized that, while she can be high strung and emotional, I’m more laid back and easy going. But aside from that, we have much in common, almost like two peas in a pod.

So I wondered if people with opposite personalities, beliefs, and physical traits are actually drawn together like opposite poles of a magnet. Or are similarities in age, intelligence, religion, and education level the keys to lasting, healthy relationships?

So my provocative question this week is…

Do you feel that people are more attracted to one another by their differences or by their commonalities? And why do you feel that way?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

22 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #128

1. Hetty Eliot July 28, 2021 / 8:38 am

I think ultimately that similarities triumph in the long run. Opposites might be exciting at first but when you differ on the non-negotiables, it gets old pretty quickly and too tiring. I’m much happier in lockstep.

2. Marleen July 28, 2021 / 3:40 pm

I think these are just cliches and that both can be true. It’s slightly like when one of my sons went to a legal training thing in Washington DC near the end of high school and one feature of the trip was that the group took a cruise one evening. When he got back and told me about it, we joked, “I’m on a boat…” Some people like to tie into cultural “sayings” just because (not because of any necessary agreement).

The Lonely Island – I’m On A Boat (Explicit Version) ft. T-Pain (Official Video)

3. cagedunn July 28, 2021 / 5:47 pm

Neither – if they don’t smell right, they ain’t right. Our noses pick up on things we don’t understand, but it matters a great deal to our DNA, which tells the nose what’s off and what’s not, what’s worth pursuing as a relevant match, and what to avoid (mismatch: risk of instability in gene pool – danger, Will Robinson, Danger!).
    All the other stuff is just socialisation, and if we can’t learn to get the social right (which is the argument/dichotomy of right/wrong, entitled/not entitled, etc.), we should let those genes slip out of the pool down the slipway and out of the game.
    In my opinion, anyway.

• Fandango July 28, 2021 / 10:05 pm

So it’s all in the olfactory receptors, is it? If he or she passes the sniff test, you’re good to go. Interesting.

4. Nope, Not Pam July 29, 2021 / 3:16 am

I did a module called the Science of sex and supposedly we are attracted to the person the most different to us, this is so we strengthen our gene pool. My husband and I have totally different interests and opinions but the same moral compass, so ….

5. leigha66 August 10, 2021 / 6:22 pm

I think similarities attract you, but you have to be willing to accept differences too. Just like most things in life there has to be a balance.