TMP — The Wrong Direction

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. Well, my peeve today is about stupidity and selfishness.

Dr. Anthony Fauci is very frustrated. He is worried that the United States is in an “unnecessary predicament” of soaring COVID-19 cases fueled by unvaccinated Americans and the virulent delta variant.

The only way to stop the latest surge of COVID-19 cases is through herd immunity. Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. As a result, the whole community becomes protected — not just those who are immune.

Herd immunity can be achieved when enough people have been vaccinated for a disease and have developed protective antibodies against future infection. What is “enough” people? It is at least 70% but preferably closer to 90%.

Unfortunately, as of yesterday, only 49.1% of Americans have been fully vaccinated, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That’s nowhere near enough vaccinations to stop the spread of the delta variant, the most contagious strain of novel coronavirus ever identified.

In 48 states, the rate of new COVID-19 cases this past week jumped by at least 10% compared to the previous week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. In 34 of those states, the rate of new cases increased by more than 50%.

Hospitals are starting to fill up again with COVID-19 patients, but now, in many areas, patients are younger than before.

The rational and smart response to this situation is simple. Eligible Americans who want to prevent the continued spread of the disease need to do their part and get vaccinated. To refuse to get vaccinated because of political or religious reasons or due to unfounded, ridiculous conspiracy theories is not helping.

Don’t be stupid, people. Don’t be selfish. Get vaccinated and when out in public, wear a goddam face mask. That is the only way to help every single American enjoy the freedoms that we want to return to.

End of peeve.

44 thoughts on “TMP — The Wrong Direction

1. pensitivity101 July 26, 2021 / 12:31 pm

I hear you. Herd Immunity was the way the UK leaders wanted to go at the very beginning and look at us………… about to engage in our 4th wave because they didn’t close the borders and let the money men rule by lifting restrictions before it was really safe to do so. Our numbers are going up, again, especially in younger people, despite our vaccine programme (we’ve had both of ours but still wear a mask and socially distance).

• Stine Writing July 26, 2021 / 7:32 pm

My daughter who is now 23 and most of her friends still don’t think they should get the vaccine. She said they all think it was developed too fast and can’t be trusted. She did say she would get it if she had to so she could travel, now that we live so far apart. I wish they would do that!

• Fandango July 26, 2021 / 8:17 pm

She’s listening to the wrong people. She should get vaccinated, not only for herself but for others. The delta variant is very contagious and many younger, unvaccinated people are getting infected.

• pensitivity101 July 27, 2021 / 4:01 am

We’re glad we’ve had ours. We know it’s not a cure, but believe it will give us some protection.

2. Marleen July 26, 2021 / 5:05 pm

Up 50% in 34 states is a lot. Also fueled by incompetent international and national leadership and more money men (like Bill gates pushing the revocation of vaccine development to be more available to the whole world or countries that don’t have as much money). Still, I say to at least get one shot. Then [if you had a two-shot version], evaluate if you’d rather follow the “policy” of another country and wait a couple months — or follow the (in my opinion knee-jerk) policy of the United States.

3. Sadje July 26, 2021 / 5:39 pm

You’re so right, it is time to think of the community.

4. Alice DeForest July 26, 2021 / 6:56 pm

I hate to say this but they should fire Fauci. I got the shot, but most folks I know or read their posts don’t trust him. I don’t have an opinion of him but maybe a change is what will help. Savannah put the mask back on today, this is truly ridiculous, we gotta get out of this mess.

• Fandango July 26, 2021 / 8:14 pm

Some areas are once again urging people to wear masks and, even more important, to get fully vaccinated.

• Stine Writing July 26, 2021 / 8:17 pm

I am thinking about starting to get used to masks again. My dad, David and I are vaccinated but I would do it again if I had to.

• Fandango July 26, 2021 / 8:12 pm

There is one path to get out of this mess and that is to get 70+% of eligible Americans fully vaccinated. Short of that, we won’t get out of this mess.

• Marleen July 26, 2021 / 9:24 pm

I think it would be good to replace Fauci. He might not be a bad person, but I don’t think he’s helping.

5. CARAMEL July 27, 2021 / 3:34 am

I can understand the frustration. But I was a little surprised by some of the inflammatory language I saw on media coverage. If people do have genuine reserves about vaccine safety or other issues, being told they are stupid is probably not going to win them over.

I know it may seem a huge task, but here in the UK, a lot of efforts were put into multi-language campaigns that went into the communities where vaccine uptake was slow, so they could present information, answer questions, reassure people, and most importantly make it easier for people to be vaccinated by taking mobile vaccine centers right into the heart of those communities. Health professionals who were of an ethnic background were uptake was slow were very effective at appealing to people of the same culture, because they were trusted.

But words like “stupid” and “selfish” I just don’t think they are likely to win people’s trust and confidence. I know they come from a place of deep frustration, but they are counter-productive.

• Fandango July 27, 2021 / 8:04 am

I know there is a very small percentage of people with legitimate reasons to not get vaccinated, but the huge majority of those who refuse to do so are not getting vaccinated for stupid and/or selfish reasons. Vaccinations work to keep people safe. To not get vaccinated for those stupid or selfish reasons is unacceptable and will continue to allow COVID-19 to thrive and to delay (or prevent) ever returning to “normal.” We need to call a spade a spade and let these anti-vaxxers understand that their behavior is, indeed, both stupid and selfish.

• Marleen July 27, 2021 / 9:28 am

Being an “anti-vaxxer” is different from being hesitant about this new vaccine (or the suite of new choices). While some people are assholes (not simply for not getting a shot), the more significant assholes are in higher places.

• CARAMEL July 27, 2021 / 11:07 am

But if the objective is to ask them to re-think their choice, and appeal to them to contribute to the vaccine efforts, I think the words used ought to be chosen carefully.

This has been a very emotive situation. I have seen with my own eyes what covid has done to so many patients. But I have also come across so many people who have been anti-mask, anti-lockdowns, anti-vaccine, and I have had opportunities to talk respectfully with them. Some of them were kind enough to think about our conversation and started to wear facemasks because of our respectful appeal to them. I have had conversations with people who were scared of the vaccine, and I gave information to the best of my knowledge, and some of them went on to have the vaccine. I do not believe that if I used language that would have upset them, they would have acquiesced.

I worry that sometimes the use of inflammatory language can close the door on hearts and minds firmly and polarise a situation into a political mess.

• Fandango July 27, 2021 / 1:09 pm

At some point, though, Mel, when it comes to public health, it should not be a personal choice. It should be a mandate for those who are eligible for the vaccine to get vaccinated. That’s the only way that we’re going to lick COVID-19.

• CARAMEL July 27, 2021 / 1:44 pm

I cannot disagree with that statement, but I also understand the concern over it. In the medical field I see people exercise their legal right to self-determination almost daily. It is sometimes very very tough seeing a patient refuse to eat or drink, and refusing to move from their beds. I have seen people refuse treatments (not because they have done their research and want an alternative) because they want to give up the fight.

In some respects within the medical field, to force someone to eat, to drink, to get up, to accept treatment has been compared to violating them. Legally, we just cannot do that to people.

The legal implications of forcing anything on someone are significant. In a world where for the past few decades, courts have facilitated a legal basis for people to choose things as varied as which sex they wish to be, who they can marry, freedoms to choose a medical treatment that they trust, rights to civilian community service instead of military training in lands where conscription is still in operation, freedoms of speech, press and countless other rights and protections – I wonder how so quickly a situation could develop when people were forced to accept a vaccine they do not trust.

I totally understand the fear of the consequences of lots of people rejecting the vaccine…I really do…but the idea of people being forced to accept a vaccine against their will – I wonder what kind of can of worms that would open.

This might be rather contentious, but I am not sure why huge events with thousands of people getting sweaty and breathing in the same stuffy air are such a good idea. Isn’t that willfully putting people at risk of catching all sorts of different infectious or viral bugs from each other? I don’t know why so many have wanted to go back to some of the norms which the Pandemic identified as particularly hazardous.

I have respected people want the right to make a choice. Some people were desperate to get back to crowded close confined spaces, desperate to being in a cramped plane cabin, or other situations that seem obviously unwise. But I respect their right to choose. I have to respect the right for people to choose a medical treatment. What I do think is sinister is misinformation about the choices on offer. When people make a decision on false information, that is serious. The challenge in regulating false information is that we live in a world where marketing teams, media groups, politicians, religious figures, business men sail very close to the line when it comes to truth and misleading statements, and there are sometimes blatant falsehoods thrown into the mix.

Trust, trust and integrity….I am not surprised that so many people are uncertain at the moment. I think here in the UK the vaccine has had a very good take-up and we believe the statistics are showing the beneficial consequences of that. I think many people are very fearful of the economic and mental health consequences of perpetual lockdowns and so they have viewed the vaccine program as the quickest way out.

Did I read that in the US the uptake figures were much less? Is it all to do with people being against the vaccine, or is part of the issue to do with accessibility and information? I get the picture that there is an significant anti-vaccine element who are spreading their opinions. But are there other factors as well? I don’t know how much effort has put into taking the vaccine into hard to reach areas, and making sure there was an abundance of information available. Another factor that we think made some difference here was that people did not have to be registered with a Doctor to have vaccine. In essence, it took some of the fear of them being identified as in the UK without legal permissions. I am not clear on the whole picture in the US on the various that may make some people fear coming forward for a vaccine.

Of course I am concerned about rising cases. I wish that it had not become such a political issue over in the US. But I see the insults that people are using either side of this issue, and I think that type of dialogue is just causing deeper division. I have seen bloggers use words like “stupid” “selfish” “culprits” on both sides of this issue…and it is bizarre to see the divide get deeper and deeper. It just saddens me Fandango.

• Fandango July 27, 2021 / 10:56 pm

The U.S uptake figures are less than 50% fully vaccinated. Most of that low uptake rate has to do with people being against the vaccine due to the spread of misinformation, fear mongering from conservative media, and nonsense conspiracy theories or because of political or religious influences. It has nothing to do with access, as there is a sufficient supply of vaccines to accommodate all eligible Americans. And people here do not have to be registered with a doctor or have a doctor’s prescription to have the vaccine. All we have to do is show up at our local vaccination center, which in some cases is just our local drug store.

• CARAMEL July 28, 2021 / 4:53 am

Are people still allowed to travel on airlines without vaccinations and enter crowded events? I have not kept up to date with the details here in the UK because I have no plans to travel abroad and I am still being very careful to avoid crowded events – but I thought that you had to have proof of vaccinations or a negative PCR test to be able to travel abroad freely or go to large events.

For some people who are hesitant about the vaccine, wanting their full freedoms to enjoy things like overseas travel and nightclubbing has been enough to make them have the vaccine, even though they do not seem to be in fear of the virus.

I am curious – what are the political and religious influences that are effecting people’s decisions? I understand that people may be scared if they have seen negative reports like the media coverage on rare blood clots in some younger people with the AZ vaccine, but I don’t understand other reasons someone would feel that the vaccine is a political or religious choice.

• Fandango July 28, 2021 / 9:47 am

People are required to wear masks to fly and most places are reinstating mask mandates for indoor events with the rise of infections due to the delta variant. Many employers are requiring employees to be vaccinated in order to return to work.

Donald Trump, when he was president, made wearing masks a political issue and Republicans and conservative media continue to beat that drum, not only on face masks, but on vaccinations, as well, even though wearing masks and getting vaccinated is a public health issue, not an infringement of personal freedoms. As to the religious objections, some religions, like evangelical Christians, believe that faith in God will protect people from the virus, and that wearing masks and getting vaccines is against the will of God.

• CARAMEL July 28, 2021 / 12:01 pm

It is very unfortunate that the Pandemic and covid became so wrapped up in the election. I imagine it may make it harder for some people to separate the challenges with this virus from loyalty to their political affiliations.

I find the idea that some Christians could be suggesting God will protect people who do not take cautions very concerning. I know you have said you don’t believe in a Creator, but the scriptures document thousands of years of history including disease, infectious diseases such as leprosy and other plagues. The Mosaic Law has timeless wisdom that is the cornerstone of control of infectious diseases – hygiene and quarantine being key to that. People who were strict about taking those precautions, following the directions given to them were protected. It was not a magical forcefield around them. It was obedience to divine law that protected them.

Here in the UK, I have respect for the religious groups who are still protecting their vulnerable by having all their services on-line and with phone-links. They are providing for the physical and emotional needs of their group in the safest way possible, without putting anyone at risk. I respect them as wise and truly caring. It is concerning to people jeopardizing the lives of others in the name of faith. It is like suggesting someone cross the road without looking both ways to see if any traffic is coming and believing you will be magically protected. It is wrong. Health and safety laws, and instructions on handling infectious diseases were a significant part of the law and provided protection to people for millennia before the discoveries made with modern scientific instruments. Even Jesus rejected the temptation when God’s enemy told him to hurl himself off the temple battlements to see if God would protect him. The slanderer even had the cheek to twist the scriptures, quoting that God’s angels would not allow a foot of the Messiah to come to harm. Jesus answered, “it is written, you must not put God to the test”. He would not presumptuously assume divine protection as a showy display of faith. Instead he repudiated the original liar for twisting the scriptures. I wonder how Jesus would feel to see anyone claiming to be his follower, misquoting scriptures and endangering the precious lives of others.

I know this may not be significant to you Fandango, but those who claim to follow Christ, and yet are overstepping the scriptures which make very clear that the gift of life is precious and should be safeguarded, are disregarding God’s Will.

I still believe that it is important for people to be allowed to make a decision based on accurate research. I feel strongly against anyone with influence who misleads others and makes what should be a decision on a medical matter a political or religious issue. That is an outright abuse of their authority and influence.

But I fear that yet again….it all comes down to who people trust. In a time of worldwide crisis, trust in the media, trust in politicians, even trust in medical professionals has been under the microscope. I think here in the UK, the majority of people have found the information and statistics about the virus, the effect of facemasks and social distancing, and vaccines, presented to them persuasive and reasonable. People wanted to do what was right, they primarily wanted to protect the vulnerable. For some the effect of lockdowns has been very challenging economically and emotionally. I think the level of cooperation has been due to some of the financial assistance the government made available to for those employers who had to close for many months. But of course, there are a lot of concerns about the impact that huge expenditure will have in the future on taxes and interest rates etc.

I have tried to avoid any controversy, and have just kept doing what I do….get up, make my coffee for the day and put it in my own flask, make my sandwiches, fill my water-bottle, (so I can avoid the kettle and microwave at work, and also can avoid crowded shops and food outlets) walk to work, put on PPE, help patients, walk home, shower, eat, rest. Jack has been my social bubble throughout the Pandemic. Most of life took place via phone and email. We walked for many miles and fell in love with out beautiful area all over again. The past few months I have loved seeing friends and family while I had some time off work – mostly at outdoor events because the weather has been glorious and everyone feels safer that way. Most people I know have been happy to do what they saw as taking reasonable steps to help control the spread of the virus. Nobody has complained about it….we just kept each other’s spirits up and made sure everyone was ok financially and emotionally. Stronger friendships have resulted. I am sometimes baffled why some people have fought against the measures that so many people found reasonable. I can understand if someone has lost their business, lost their home being bitter about lockdowns. But I don’t think that all those fighting have suffered those kinds of losses.

Anyway….it is all so tiring….and I want to rest my head before work tomorrow. US politics seems so scary.

• Fandango July 28, 2021 / 5:33 pm

It is tiring and the political situation in the U.S. is very scary and I worry that next month it will get even scarier. Get some rest, Mel.

• Marleen July 27, 2021 / 2:30 pm

These vaccines are still in the experimental phase. It is totally unethical to subject people to experimentation against their will. I believe it’s unethical to force any medical treatment on a person, but experimentation especially. (See the Geneva Convention.)

• Marleen July 27, 2021 / 4:58 pm

One, I disagree with Rappler, whoever Rappler is. Two: the Philippines? It came up in an earlier conversation that there have been dangerous meds approved in other countries that were later rejected fir the purposes they had originally been approved (in other countries).

• Marleen July 27, 2021 / 5:02 pm

Reality at Reuters: Correction, April 30, 2021: An earlier version of this check described the Pfizer/BioNtech, Moderna and J&J vaccines as being approved for use in the United States. This has been corrected to say these vaccines have been authorized for emergency use by the FDA. Vaccine makers will need to apply to the FDA for full approval to continue use after the pandemic.

• Marleen July 27, 2021 / 5:51 pm

It’s quite possible they are no longer engaged in ethical data collection (integral to experimentation). I know there was no place to report side effects in my paperwork. I know, also, that I wasn’t warned of all the shit that could happen to me (to some extent understandable since it’s all so new and there hadn’t been time to observe and aggregate such); I was asked to sign something saying 1) don’t blame us and 2) let us use your personal information everywhere on the planet.

Nuremberg Code

The ten points of the code were given in the section of the judges’ verdict entitled “Permissible Medical Experiments”:[6] The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential. This means that the person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision. This latter element requires that before the acceptance of an affirmative decision by the experimental subject there should be made known to him the nature, duration, and purpose of the experiment; the method and means by which it is to be conducted; all inconveniences and hazards reasonably to be expected; and the effects upon his health or person which may possibly come from his participation in the experiment. The duty and responsibility for ascertaining the quality of the consent rests upon each individual who initiates, directs, or engages in the experiment. It is a personal duty and responsibility which may not be delegated to another with impunity.[13]

• Marleen July 27, 2021 / 8:09 pm

I have an aunt who worked on the ethics board of a major research university in Saint Louis. They were guided by these things.

I have another aunt who is a registered nurse and has been writing to a (money-seeking) drug company ever since her husband almost died.

• Marleen July 27, 2021 / 9:29 pm

To be clear, her husband didn’t almost die from a vaccine or from Covid-19. But he almost died from the interaction of two drugs after the recommendation on when to prescribe one of them changed (to recommend it earlier in order to get more money from more prescribing).

And, now, back to the main topic:

……..

When it comes to COVID-19, immunologists are still figuring out what they call the “correlates of protection,” factors that predict just how protected someone is against the coronavirus. Researchers believe that an optimum amount of “neutralizing antibodies,” the type that not only bind the virus but also prevent it from infecting, are sufficient to fend off repeat infections. Scientists are also still assessing the durability of immunity that the COVID-19 vaccines are providing and where in the body it’s working.

Can a vaccinated person spread coronavirus? Immunologists expect vaccines that protect against viral illnesses to also reduce transmission of the virus after vaccination. But it’s actually tricky to figure out for sure if vaccinated people are not spreading the germ.

COVID-19 poses a particular challenge because people with asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic infections can spread the disease – and insufficient contact tracing and testing mean those without symptoms are rarely detected. Some scientists estimate that the number of asymptomatic COVID-19 infections in the overall population could be 3 to 20 times higher than the number of confirmed cases. Research suggests that undocumented cases of COVID-19 in people who either were asymptomatic or experienced very mild disease could be responsible for up to 86% of all infections, though other studies contradict the high estimates. It’s tricky to figure out for sure if vaccinated people are not spreading the germ. In one study, the CDC tested volunteer health care personnel and other front-line workers at eight U.S. locations for SARS-CoV-2 infections weekly for three months, regardless of symptoms or vaccination status. The researchers found that fully immunized participants were 25 times less likely to test positive for COVID-19 than were those who were unvaccinated. Findings like this imply that if vaccinated people are so well protected from getting infected at all, they are also unlikely to spread the virus. But without contact tracing to track transmission in a larger population, it’s impossible to know if the assumption is true.

What we know for sure is that if someone does get sick with COVID-19 after vaccination, in what is called a “breakthrough infection,” symptoms will be milder.

6. Terveen Gill July 27, 2021 / 5:09 am

People and their messed up heads. I guess the ones getting vaccinated are the culprits. Just want to get a shot for no damn reason.
    Are there vaccines for stupidity?

7. ruddjr July 27, 2021 / 9:55 am

As of July 24 (courtesy of health unit in London ON) 80.3 per cent of residents 18+ have gotten at least one shot and 64.7 have had two. Most people my age (mid 40s) are just getting their second shot this week.

8. writerravenclaw August 9, 2021 / 9:36 am

I’m a big believer in the vaccine. We are so lucky in the UK because we don’t have to pay for our vaccine. I can only imagine what it is like in the states. Time will only tell with cases, and how they go down. We were too slow to lockdown the first time, but it all seems to be going in the right direction now.

9. leigha66 August 9, 2021 / 8:29 pm

I think we are headed for a super spreader here… The Iowa State Fair starts Thursday and there are no mask requirement… it is suggested for the unvaccinated indoors. I see bad days ahead.