Share Your World — 7/26/2021

Melanie is going deep with today’s edition of Share Your World. Let’s see how long I can tread water with my answers.

Do you believe in second chances?

Second chances, yes. We all say or do things we later regret. But third, fourth, or more chances? Fuhgeddaboudit. As the old saying goes, “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

Is your glass half full or half empty?

That depends upon how thirsty I am.

Would you rather someone be honest and hurt your feelings or lie to protect them?

I prefer honest feedback. I’d rather know what people really think than to have them try to appease me.

When have you felt your biggest adrenaline rush?

It was probably when I went whitewater rafting on the New River in West Virginia. That was many years ago and I think I used up most of my lifetime supply of adrenaline on that excursion.

12 thoughts on “Share Your World — 7/26/2021

1. Sadje July 26, 2021 / 8:15 am

Cool answers. I used the same adage about second chances that you did. My father used to say that. But he was a very kind man and often forgave and forgot what people did and gave them more chances.

2. rugby843 July 26, 2021 / 8:49 am

I would love to have that experience again, only with someone who knew what he was doing. A fateful trip in Glenwood Canyon,CO dumped our whole family out to only hit the rocky sides and my husband into a pylon immediately.

Sent from my iPhone

3. Marleen July 26, 2021 / 11:44 am

Do you believe in second chances?

1) This is difficult to answer. There are some things for which once is “enough.” I briefly saw a piece of a story on television, last night, about a woman who was violently raped by her boyfriend/new husband (didn’t get the detail of which), including being head-butted (hard enough to create a bleeding gash (and cause a noticeable scar). She said she was so shocked that when he said it was an accident and that he would never do it again, and to please forgive him, she said okay. I wondered out loud how he would keep from doing it again while he characterized what he did as an accident. And who really cares in the sense of being able to carry on with a relationship?

Other than that, I largely agree with Fandango. There’s a complication in the fact that some people figure out how to do you wrong in a different way over a span of time. So you’re technically not forgiving them for the same thing more than once. And, besides that, there’s the expectation that people, especially family, are supposed to be forgiving. But that’s sometimes a device to get what they want while you’re at their mercy (and this can be very subtle). Meanwhile, there’s the “saying” (?) to forgone seventy times seven times (often interpreted as never ending). Certainly some people believe that’s what it means to their benefit but not with your well-being in mind.

Is your glass half full or half empty?

That depends upon how thirsty I am.

2) I like your answer, Fandango; it’s fun. My answer is a boring ol’ “half full.”

3) Ditto. However, I will give an illustration of a time I wanted someone to at least bend the truth. I had met a a girlfriend, and she had an unusual voice. When my son described, in answer to a query, what I had said after I first met her, I knew what my son would remember the clearest. I had said she sounded like she’d been smoking all her life (when she was about twenty). The issue was that the person who asked was a smoker. So, I slipped in a “Give me a break.” (And he knew what I meant. Whew.)

When have you felt your biggest adrenaline rush?

4) I’m gonna go with: a few days ago, when I used an inversion table at the top of some stairs. 😅

I would like to at least go kayaking. Not sure about the white water.

• Fandango July 26, 2021 / 2:34 pm

Kayaking is fun, bun not as thrilling as whitewater rafting.

• Marleen July 26, 2021 / 2:46 pm

The raft is less likely to dump over, right?

• Fandango July 26, 2021 / 5:52 pm

Depends upon how rough the water is.

4. Melanie B Cee July 27, 2021 / 7:50 am

Thanks, Fandango for Sharing Your World! Very interesting answers! You did indeed ‘tread water’ as you got through them! 🙂 I’ve been white water rafting (a long time ago now) and thought it was the most fun I’d ever had (I still tend to think that). I got a helluva sunburn though. These days? I probably couldn’t get in the raft at all and if I did, since I can’t swim, it would be dangerous. I’ll have to stick to dry land. Now here’s a poser for that forgive question – I read Marleen’s comment with some interest. It occurs to me that perhaps forgiving someone for a slight mistake (or even a fairly large one) is one thing, but having one’s trust broken is something else again. The woman in Marleen’s scenario was a fool IMHO. That was a trust breaking situation and a clear warning to run far, run fast, but run away. Have a great week!

5. leigha66 August 9, 2021 / 8:10 pm

In a difficult situation right now where I have been lied to for about four months… now I am just supposed to accept things as ok despite the lie. I am having a hard time dealing with it. My mom drilled honesty into me and my sister growing up. I guess not everyone values honesty though.

Comments are closed.