MLMM Double Take — The Last Will and Testament

The old man was having trouble keeping his horse stationary as he rode up in front of the saloon. The skin on his face visible above his scraggly white beard and below the rim of his worn hat was leathery and I could tell that the man was in a lot of pain. In a hoarse voice asked me to help him get down off his steed, and I obliged him.

Even once he was on the ground, he was unsteady. “Help me inside,” he said, nodding toward the swinging doors of the saloon, “and sit me down at a table.” Again, I obliged the old timer.

After he was situated, he said, “Now fetch me a pencil and some stationery. I’m dying and I need to write down my last will and testament, and if you hurry, I’ll give you a piece of my inheritance.”

I stepped over to the bar and asked the barkeep for a pencil and some paper and then walked over to the table where the old man was seated, only to find him slumped over dead as a doornail. I figured that I earned my inheritance, which as far as I was concerned was the old timer’s horse and whatever I found in his saddlebags. Hell, I helped the geezer out in his dying moment. It wasn’t my fault that he died intestate.

Written for the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Double Take—Saturday Mix, where we are asked to use these homophones in our post: horse/hoarse and stationary/stationery.

11 thoughts on “MLMM Double Take — The Last Will and Testament

1. Lorraine July 24, 2021 / 11:02 pm

Wonder what the old guy did have in his saddle-bags? Gold dust; treasure map; deed to a mine; stolen loot from a bank robbery . . . or a whole lot of nothing? No good deed goes unrewarded, or unpunished. Good use of the words!

2. Marlapaige July 25, 2021 / 2:41 pm

A horse and an old blanket. Maybe some coffee grinds. Since he didn’t know the old guy’s name he didn’t know that the old timer had 500 gold bricks in financial institutions up and down the area because he was a bank robber in his younger years!
    I like this story. Nice job with the prompts!

• Fandango July 25, 2021 / 3:10 pm

Thanks. I like your conclusion to my story!

• Marlapaige July 25, 2021 / 3:13 pm

Thank you. I don’t know why, but the second the old guy had trouble getting off of his horse, i thought of “The Gambler” and when you mentioned the tavern, I thought of the old TV show Bonanza. And then you said that he was going to inherit but the old man died. There wasn’t any “ace that he could keep”, so my brain made one that he missed out on instead. I know, my brain is odd LOL

• Fandango July 25, 2021 / 3:38 pm

Lots of free-lance associations there! 😉

• Marlapaige July 25, 2021 / 3:50 pm

Yes. That’s mostly how my brain works. It’s how it stores and retrieves information. Makes trying to remember something specific a little…challenging sometimes LOL

3. leigha66 August 9, 2021 / 1:23 pm

Nicely weaved tale… I hope he got something of value for all his “hard work”

Comments are closed.