SoCS — Tainted Word

For today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill, we are asked to write a post about our least favorite word.

Up until about six years ago, I didn’t have strong feelings one way or the other about what is now my least favorite word. It’s actually a pretty innocuous word. It’s a word that has three primary definitions.

The first definition is associated with several card games, where it refers to a playing card of the suit chosen to rank above the others, which can win a trick where a card of a different suit has been led.

The second definition is associated with beating someone or something by saying or doing something better.

The third definition is a dependable and exemplary person.

Have you figured out the word I’m referring to yet, the word that I now consider to be my least favorite word? Of course you have. You are very bright people, so you know that the word I’m thinking of is…

trump

Today the word “trump” conjures up a very negative feeling in me. The word is not a powerful card, or something or someone that beats something or someone else. And it’s certainly not a dependable or exemplary person.

No, in my mind, thanks to Donald J. Trump, synonyms for the word “trump” are incompetent, arrogant, idiotic, egotistical, ignorant, racist, sexist, narcissistic, liar, conman, and asshole. Donald Trump has single-handedly redefined the meaning of the word and turned it into my least favorite word. Whenever I hear or see the word “trump” today, it makes me sick to my stomach.

18 thoughts on “SoCS — Tainted Word

1. Paula Light July 17, 2021 / 3:41 am

Knew yesterday as soon as I read the prompt! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket 😂

2. Nope, Not Pam July 17, 2021 / 4:09 am

Trump trumped trump?

3. willowdot21 July 17, 2021 / 5:05 am

Lol I was not thinking laterally enough …I definitely agree with you that word has new and real nasty connotations 😁

4. bikerchick57 July 17, 2021 / 5:56 am

LOL, nice new definition. I used to play sheepshead a lot while married and it was a fun game, but if I had to talk about “trump” cards now, perhaps not so much.

5. Marleen July 17, 2021 / 10:58 am

I guess we have to call a spade a spade.

6. Terveen Gill July 18, 2021 / 4:18 am

Trump loves blowing his trumpet. No rhyme or reason, but on and on he blows. Sad.