Here We Go Again

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water….

I took a lot of grief from some commenters on my last Provocative Question post in which I asked if people were fully vaccinated. In that post I pointed out that…

COVID-19 cases are back on the rise in the U.S., with a disproportionate number new cases among unvaccinated people. Further, the rise of the delta variant of the virus is rapidly speeding transmission among those who haven’t been fully vaccinated, and that variant accounts for more than half of all new COVID-19 cases in the U.S.

Yet some took offense when I suggested that not getting vaccinated was selfish. But here we are. Just as health experts predicted, the combination of unvaccinated people and the more contagious delta strain of coronavirus has led to new COVID-19 surges. According to Johns Hopkins University, in 46 states, the rates of new cases this past week were at least 10% higher than the rates of new cases the previous week. And in 31 states, new cases this past week were at least 50% higher than new cases the previous week.

The vast majority of new COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in the U.S. have one thing in common: They’re among unvaccinated people. Duh! More than 99% of all COVID-19 deaths in June were among unvaccinated people, according to the CDC.

But go ahead, folks. Stubbornly refuse to get vaccinated, don’t wear face masks, or maintain social distancing. Never mind that not getting vaccinated and not wearing face masks could result in keeping COVID around indefinitely. Maybe you don’t give a shit about your own health, but some of us want to stay healthy and alive.

35 thoughts on “Here We Go Again

1. pensitivity101 July 17, 2021 / 2:26 pm

Our new health minister has just been diagnosed. He’s had both his jabs, and apparently ‘felt groggy’. So it goes to show that this thing is still rampant and will strike anyone. Will people listen and think? Not from what I’ve seen today.

2. newepicauthor July 17, 2021 / 3:14 pm

People that refuse to get vaccinated, have no respect for others.

3. amoralegria July 17, 2021 / 3:16 pm

I’m so fed up with people thinking they don’t have to get vaccinated if they don’t want to. Do they know why people don’t get polio anymore? Yes, because WE HAVE A VACCINE THAT EVERYONE TOOK and pretty much eradicated the disease. The same can be said for smallpox and other diseases people routinely get vaccinated for.

You are right that anti-vaxxers are selfish. They probably think it’s none of our business if they prefer risking getting Covid than getting a vaccination which is NOT made from aborted fetuses, does NOT inject magnets into your body, does NOT insert a chip that lets the government spy on you, etc. The reason they are selfish is because by not taking the vaccine, they are giving Covid another host to infect. And the longer these hosts (non-vaccinated people) are available, the virus has not only the ability to spread but also to MUTATE again. We are already seeing an upsurge from the delta variant. What if the next mutation is resistant to vaccinations? This has happened in the past, with bacteria, which mutated and became resistant to anti-bacterial soap, etc. If the Covid virus is allowed to stay around to infect people, the chances of more dangerous mutations increases. I am fully vaccinated not just for myself, but for society as a whole. I don’t want vaccinated people to be in danger of getting Covid because some ignorant people believed conspiracy theories and their local pastor instead of the medical experts who have the knowledge we all need. I’m sick of Covid, so people, LET’S GET RID OF IT – GET VACCINATED, OK?????

No member of our society is an island. You benefit by living in a society, enjoying what it offers, and various freedoms that people in some countries do not have. Freedom does not mean “rights.” And with rights come responsibilities. Each person’s responsibility in a time of crisis or danger is to do what is possible for the common good, not just oneself.

• Fandango July 17, 2021 / 3:23 pm

Well stated and I couldn’t agree more.

4. abigfatcanofworms July 17, 2021 / 3:24 pm

Australia ordered mostly Astra Zeneca. Then it built a significant distrust of Astra Zeneca, changing the minimum age of candidates from 50 to 60 years because they said younger people were more likely to get clotting. Then the Delta Variant arrived and Sydney is having a tough time And it became clear we didn’t have enough Pfizer vaccine. The gov’t then said anybody over 18 could get AZ. But the story has been so muddled and messed that a lot of people are scared of AZ, even although it’s a hero in Britain. So I don’t really know what the anti vaxxer population is like here but there are still a lot of people to vaccinate because our gov’t (according to one fairly detailed, well researched article I read) lacks urgency (in ordering) and science (in decision making). So, apart from being frustrated with all the stupid political stuff going on here, I also hope that lots of vaccine doses are making it to India and Indonesia and Malaysia and lots of African nations. These countries, if unable to join the moneyed “bags me” scramble to order vaccines, become the petri dishes for new variants. So apart from individuals thinking of community, nations need to think internationally.

• Marleen July 17, 2021 / 4:03 pm

A big reason why ( a small minority of ) people getting the Astra Zeneca vaccine have problems is because those giving the shots haven’t been told to aspirate the needle to make sure the injection goes into all muscle and not a vein. PLEASE, individual administers, aspirate the hypodermic. I find it so frustrating how bad the big guys communicating on covid-19 all around has been and continues to be.

• abigfatcanofworms July 17, 2021 / 4:36 pm

Yes!! My husband heard about that through a British doctor on YouTube – Dr John Campbell who refers to about 8 papers on this subject, one of which refers specifically to the mRNA vaccines.

• Marleen July 19, 2021 / 6:00 am

I’ve listened to him, too.
          Below is from Thursday:

Over 15,000 U.K. daily infections in vaccinated
          [and there’s a bit of information on the U.S., the Middle East, and Brazil]

The usual symptoms are said to be (different from before)
          — headache, nose sniffles, sore throat, and sneezing.

I had a headache and sneezing, recently.

• Fandango July 17, 2021 / 4:25 pm

True. This is an international crisis.

5. rugby843 July 17, 2021 / 3:52 pm

Totally agree

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

6. M July 17, 2021 / 4:04 pm

I just purchased another mask (matching some yoga pants) today.

• Marleen July 17, 2021 / 4:05 pm

Oops. That’s me.

7. Paula Light July 17, 2021 / 6:18 pm

I have loads of cute masks, but this surge here in the US is due to people being stupid and stubborn. Thanks, jerks!

8. cagedunn July 17, 2021 / 8:47 pm

And another titbit of info: the younger people who think they’re fine but get long-tail Covid (life-long effects) are the ones who weren’t vaccinated by their parents …

• Marleen July 28, 2021 / 8:38 am

I saw a story about a kid who got Covid-19 and then the long Covid experience. But vaccines hadn’t been authorized [not the same thing as “approved” after a full process] yet for his age anyway, so the parent couldn’t be blamed. Because of the child being around his siblings, the other children were given special permission to get vaccinated, and the parent was for that. Of course, none if this acknowledges that people can get long Covid from vaccination.

• cagedunn July 28, 2021 / 4:48 pm

Most of the younger adults [here] with longtail Covid had no childhood vaccinations. None.
        I’ve seen no evidence/reporting on longtail Covid from vaccinations, but I’d like to – any links?

• Marleen July 28, 2021 / 5:20 pm

I’ll look for one to share. But I, while not a child, am an example. That’s an interesting picture of young adults who had no, absolutely no, childhood vaccinations. Makes me think the cohort like that is different from the children of anti-vaxxers here (who are usually upper middle class here). I could be wrong, but fir a child to be so susceptible suggests being malnourished.

• cagedunn July 28, 2021 / 5:27 pm

I don’t know about the malnourished (they look healthy on the outside), but the parents were the ‘hippy’ attitude, usually in communes.
            Now, though, the anti-vaxxers are more blue-collar or lower down the social chain, and often spouting stuff like nanobots in the vaccine so the gov can ‘watch’ them.

• Marleen July 29, 2021 / 6:32 am

This isn’t as in-depth as what I usually take in, but it’s significant. My second shot was basically a third dose or booster. I had the infection and totally recovered from it (it passed like having a mild cold or something). Then I had the first shot; no problem. But the second shot was hell. And if we are offered a booster… no way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fPqd4oeFgW0&pp=sAQA COVID

Vaccine Boosters and “Severe” Side Effects, Warns CDC Official

9. Mister Bump UK July 18, 2021 / 12:05 am

I think the word “selfish” is about right.

The exception is maybe if somebody does not mix with other people although which of us can go through life without mixing? And which of us will commit to doing this permanently?

As I see it, things have opened up again because numbers have dropped, and that numbers have dropped because of vaccines. And that’s as obvious to me as someone saying “the sky in blue”. But some people do not see that.

• ruddjr July 18, 2021 / 7:41 am

Completely agree with everything you said. In Ontario we weren’t allowed to open up until we met a certain percentage of people vaccinated. Lockdowns are hard on everyone but we did it for the greater good. Daily case counts in my city are single digits.

• Mister Bump UK July 18, 2021 / 10:03 am

Haha ours are going up again. But again, the link between cases and deaths is that much weaker than it was

10. writerravenclaw July 18, 2021 / 3:45 am

I have had both jabs and don’t regret a thing. I think if you are lucky enough to get vaccinated then you should.

11. Terveen Gill July 18, 2021 / 3:48 am

Many don’t have a cent of common sense. It shows at times like these. Warped logic can never be argued with. It’s sad how others have to suffer at the hands of such stupidity.

12. Melanie B Cee July 18, 2021 / 10:53 am

Amen brother bear, AMEN. I’m waiting for the wave to hit Utah too, as almost nobody is observing any of the rules here any longer. It’s tourist season too and frankly if they offered grocery delivery service, I might just take advantage of that. Going out is frightening. At the least those idiot anti-vaxxers might wear a sign advising others that they aren’t vaccinated. At least then we’d know who to avoid. Oh isn’t that silly talk though? SOMEONE would screech about how letting others know of their decision was a violation of their civil liberties. Geez.

13. Jay July 19, 2021 / 9:05 am

And all the while I’m sitting here in Brazil waiting to get my shot because we don’t have enough doses for everyone. And people have it readily available and refuse to get theirs. I wish I could hop up there, take theirs and come home. Seriously, can’t people see how dire the situation is? I have more words to use, but none you use in polite company. :/

14. leigha66 July 30, 2021 / 9:05 pm

It is just surprising the number of people who STILL refuse. It is life or death, seems like an easy question to answer!

Comments are closed.