One-Liner Wednesday — Mass Insanity

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs, it is the rule.”

Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher, cultural critic, composer, poet, and writer

While Friedrich Nietzsche died 121 years ago, it’s as if he was warning us about the mass insanity that has gripped the United States Republican Party in the 21st century, especially in the post-2020 presidential election era.

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday Prompt.

8 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Mass Insanity

1. Lou Carreras July 14, 2021 / 6:40 am

Charles Mackays book on popular delusions and the madness of crowds was published in about 1841. It’s still relevant and reads well. a lot of what he said back then still applies.

2. Mister Bump UK July 14, 2021 / 9:02 am

I read Nietzche when I was 20s. There’s a lot of sense in there but he’s kinda tainted because the Nazis loved him so much. You think, if he did it for them there must be something wrong there.

• Marleen July 14, 2021 / 10:39 am

There’s a guy (a professor and writer of simple things), that a lot of conservative (or, I’d say, naive and under the influence) young men follow in America, who likes or promotes Nietzsche. He says (or has said over and over) that the philosopher is misunderstood; blames it on Nietzsche’s sister somehow (which, blaming women or women’s freedom or voices, is a favorite go-to when conservatives can do it). However, because I can stand to observe long and video taped philosophical discussions, I saw that very same man say to a peer (a liberal, liberal in our normal way of understanding it and not the ironic way conservative’s try to claim it for themselves, peer) that Nietzsche was significantly wrong [about something or other — I’d have to go back to see what it was] in that professor’s own point of view (that is based on what he really knows and not on what he tries to convince the kids about). The viewer, such as myself, could see that he caught himself blowing his cover. His partner in friendly debate (truly a friendly discussion throughout) actually noticed before he did himself, and pointed it out in good faith, that the professor wasn’t in character (not the wording anyone used there)… that the good professor was criticizing someone he regularly defends. As for the way conservatives try to reclaim the word liberal, lately after hating it for decades, is to say they themselves are “classical” liberals; I agree with that. They like the kind of liberalism that was gaining steam when “the people” didn’t mean anywhere near all people (although said wording contradicts formal logic unless a lot of people aren’t really people).

• Marleen July 15, 2021 / 12:34 am

{The guy is Jordan Peterson. Just so anyone can see what I mean about writing simple things. I don’t perceive Nietzsche to be a topic he’s written extensively on.}

I look at such things, and have personal and visceral knowledge, because I was what could be called “dyed-in-the-wool conservative” (as I understood it but which isn’t real mostly) the majority of my life. Actually still am in the ways I think are most important. But they’ve gone so far down the road in the crazy cart that I can no longer identify with “them” (as they put themselves in a superior or most relevant people category). I think a long-term view of the ins and outs is required (whether valued by others or not). I am some amalgamation of conservative and progressive (not Republican and Democrat) and have realized these words only approximate something if they even do any good at all. It was and is a habit, with conservatives, to say they aren’t Republican. It can be true for somebody (and really was so for me, that I wasn’t a fan of Republicans, which is how I could begin to see [long before Trump] the hypocrisy and total gaming of their constituents). Yet conservatives and crazies and Republicans seem well meshed together by now. There apparently weren’t many of that with which I thought I had been aligned.

3. rugby843 July 14, 2021 / 12:18 pm