TMP — Invasion

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. Well, my peeve today is about a home invasion that took place last week.

Yes, that’s right. My home was invaded by ants. Tiny, black ants.

My wife always wakes up a lot earlier than I do. She’s usually up between by around 5:30 and I roll out of bed closer to 7:00. Well, one morning last week she woke me up at 5:45 to tell me that a horde of ants had stormed our kitchen. They were all over the window over our kitchen sink and had formed a conga line all along the counter top where it meets the subway tile backsplash.

Hey, I have nothing against ants when they are in their natural habitat, which is outdoors. But I will not tolerate ants in my kitchen. That’s a bridge too far. And so I brought out my can of Raid and made quick work of getting rid of those intrusive ants.

Now I know that some of you might think that it was cruel of me to slaughter hundreds of defenseless ants. But just remember, those ants cost me one hour and 15 minutes of precious sleep that morning.

18 thoughts on “TMP — Invasion

1. Dee Min July 12, 2021 / 6:38 pm

I’ve had to bring on the Raid before. I feel you. Plus 1.5 hours of sleep loss … yeah you had all right!! Lol. Hope you’re ants free now

2. lssattitudeofgratitude July 12, 2021 / 7:04 pm

Ants love to come in when it gets hot outside. That, plus we are all convinced that our city was built on a giant ant hill. Raid to the rescue.

3. newepicauthor July 12, 2021 / 7:57 pm

My rule is that if they are not paying rent, then they are not staying.

• Fandango July 12, 2021 / 10:56 pm

I like that rule, although my cat isn’t paying rent, but he is staying!

• newepicauthor July 13, 2021 / 5:20 am

I am sure that you get enjoyment from having him around and there is no price on that.

4. Paula Light July 12, 2021 / 8:03 pm

Ugh! I had a massive invasion of ants once when I lived in Woodland Hills. It was horrible! I had to call my mommy to help me deal with them, lol. Agree with you that bugs belong OUTSIDE. Bees and spiders I will shoo out my patio door… other bugs get the DP.

5. Sadje July 12, 2021 / 8:32 pm

I don’t like insects 🐜 in my home either.

6. abigfatcanofworms July 12, 2021 / 9:20 pm

Anti ant attitudes antagonize ant activists. I remember in Melbourne, my little flat had a kitchen windowsill basically level with a garden bed. The little black army just marched right in. I think I sprinkled bicarb barriers. I am a bit hippie when it comes to critters but even I don’t like sharing my dinner with 1000 self invited guests.

7. pensitivity101 July 13, 2021 / 5:57 am

Sympathise with the ants Fandango. We have problems every year and puff and spray everywhere.
    We can’t find where they are coming in, but at the moment are on top of it as Hubby has sealed the outside pipe inlets and we’ve checked the lines where power and water come into the house.
    Under our kitchen cupboards looks like a snowstorm, but it works. We have two nests on the front lawn which will be dealt with if they get to be a nuisance, especially when they are getting ready to swarm.
    FYI: dried chrysanthemum petals deter them if it helps (conkers also deter spiders btw).

• Melanie B Cee July 13, 2021 / 8:27 am

Good to know that about the spiders. Those horrid little (who’m I kidding, those things are always GIGANTIC) buggers love my French doors and will suddenly descend right in front of me, making me scream and Ziggy bark. The last spider that did that was a ‘Kamikaze spider’ because it died in a pool of lavender oil spray (spiders hate lavender too), and then was squished repeatedly to make sure it didn’t resurrect. Brrr. Spiders.

8. Melanie B Cee July 13, 2021 / 8:28 am

My sympathies. I’ve never (knock wood) had ants. I had cockroaches though, in the first apartment I ever rented. In those days I was Ms. Clean though, and most of ’em starved I’m sure because everything I had was sealed or in cans. My dog loved to chase them. Brr. Those things are creepy as hell, give me an honest ant any day. Not that I want any mind you.

9. amoralegria July 14, 2021 / 10:09 am

Good answer! As for the bridge too far, if there were a bridge, the conga line ants would cross it!

10. Carol anne July 14, 2021 / 10:27 pm

Yuck! I hate ants! Not to mention if they got on your food? Or in it, ewww! Doesnt bear thinking about! xoxo

11. leigha66 July 27, 2021 / 7:10 pm

Ants belong in the dirt, not my counters! We try to set ant traps as soon as we see them and have so far kept up with them. I am not wild about any bug really.

Comments are closed.