Blogging Insights — Edit, Edit, Edit

For this week’s edition of Blogging Insights, Dr. Tanya wants to know about our blog post editing habits. She asks…

Do you edit your work before posting it?

I edit the shit out of my posts. I draft them, I proofread them, I make changes, I make more edits, I proofread them with all the changes and edits, and I do that as many times as it takes to make my posts perfect. And yet, despite all of that editing and effort, I still find posts that I’ve published with typos, misspellings, grammatical, punctuation, and usage errors. If any of you who reads this post is interested in a job as a proofreader/editor, let me know. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to pay you. Sorry about that.

Apart from correcting typos and spellings, how much (if any) of a post do you change before you send it out in the world?

For my flash fiction posts, I don’t really do a lot of planning before I start drafting. I may have in my head a basic idea of what I want to write, but once I start writing, the posts seem to flow the way they want to, as if they have a life of their own and I’m just a vessel from which the words pour out. In fact, sometimes even I, the author of the post, am surprised by where it took me.

I try to read my drafts for clarity and for a logical or natural flow, and I often find myself moving around whole paragraphs, which I have to admit is easier to do using the block editor than it was using the classic editor (at least on the iPhone), in order to improve the flow. In some cases I’ll practically rewrite a whole post because, as I’m writing it, some other idea will occur to me that might result in taking what I was writing in a completely different direction.

So I guess my answer to Tanya’s question about how much I change of a post before finally publishing it is “a lot.”

Do you think that re-drafting a piece can “rob” it of its spontaneity?

Other than for Linda G. Hill’s weekly Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, I think, when it comes to blogging, spontaneity is far less important than a well-written, engaging, quality post. If you want spontaneity, go to your local improv venue.

22 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Edit, Edit, Edit

1. writerravenclaw July 12, 2021 / 8:41 am

Your posts are always great. I agree it is important to edit your own work. Sometimes that is impossible because most of the time editing our own words is difficult.

• Fandango July 12, 2021 / 10:08 pm

Yes, your eyes often see what your brain expects them to see.

2. Bulbul July 12, 2021 / 10:50 am

I like the way you think “If you want spontaneity, go to your local improv venue.” I second that.

3. drtanya@saltedcaramel July 13, 2021 / 9:38 pm

I have never found typos in your posts either.
    And they are always very clear and concise. So it is a good idea to edit.

• Fandango July 13, 2021 / 11:01 pm

Thanks, Tanya. But if you look hard enough, you’ll find a few, I’m sure.

4. Mister Bump UK July 13, 2021 / 11:42 pm

Was just wondering, where does that leave you with so-called stream of conscious writing? ‘Cos you do one of these on a Sat, don’t you? Surely SoC is designed to be spontaneous thoughts-onto-paper?
    I delibrately avoid anything SoC for that reason. I want to polish, to edit, to improve.I don’t want the reader to have to endure the raw sewage that comes out of my head, I’d like to treat it first.

5. Carol anne July 14, 2021 / 10:33 pm

Wow! Didnt realise you did so much editing! I don’t! Lol! I occasionally proof read and edit, but usually I don’t.

6. leigha66 July 27, 2021 / 12:54 pm

Occasionally I get a poem that just “comes to me” and I do very little rewriting. But I do a fair amount of editing of flash fiction pieces. I am SURE there are still errors a plenty though. I VERY rarely see any in yours!