Yesterday’s Car

For today’s Ragtag Daily Prompt, the prompt is “yesterday’s car.” All that I could think of for this prompt was my first car, a 1961 Chevy Corvair Monza, pretty much like the one pictured below.

When I was about 18, my parents handed down to me their 1961 Monza. I believe they gave it to me right about the same time that consumer advocate Ralph Nader first published his book, “Unsafe at Any Speed,” a book that basically condemned the Corvair as a death trap. Hmmm.

It really was a POS car. It was so bad that, because of its bronze color, my friends dubbed it the “golden garbage can.” But, given that it didn’t cost me anything, I did have some fond memories of yesterday’s car. As they say, you never forget your first car.

Hey, I know. Why don’t you take a minute to tell us about your first car?

12 thoughts on “Yesterday’s Car

1. bushboy July 10, 2021 / 4:42 pm

Glad I could get a reminiscent of your first car Fandango. Thanks for joining in 😀😀

2. Marleen July 10, 2021 / 8:20 pm

I have a few ways to look at the “first” for “yesterday’s” car. The car I first drove, in which I learned to drive, was a very pleasant LeSabre with plush seats and a stereo; I also got my license driving this. I later sometimes drove a stupid hatchback that was manually controlled, but the gears were stripped (yet it somehow kept moving along with traffic). This had been my mother’s car. Both of these cars were one kind of green or another, both metallic greens. The first car my dad bought for me (used) was similar to your first car, above. I don’t recall what model of car it was, but it was a metallic gold color. It had a weird habit of catching crevaces or cracks in the road, such that I would have to focus on holding the steering wheel in a way that the car wouldn’t follow the crack or unevenness in the pavement as was its will. At some point, I drove a yellow Camaro (after leaving home so to speak). I was remembering and wondering, recently, why we got rid of the Camaro {by the way, it’s bugging me that the spell-checker doesn’t remember Camaros but did remember that LeSabres existed}. My best guess on why we let go of the Camaro is that it played eight track tapes.

3. lssattitudeofgratitude July 10, 2021 / 9:16 pm

A Ford Falcon Station Wagon – souped up by its former owner to the point that he got too many tickets and my mom picked it up on the cheap.

4. Terveen Gill July 12, 2021 / 5:42 am

I wouldn’t say it was my first car. But my dad’s was a Ford Maverick.
    Blue and pretty cool looking. It rusted in a few places so my dad and I (I was 7) painted over with some shiny, metallic blue color. It looked terrible but loved riding in it. Still miss it.

5. Carol anne July 15, 2021 / 4:41 am

Lol. It sounds bad, but your right, happy memories…xoxo

6. leigha66 July 25, 2021 / 7:41 pm

My first car I got my first loan and did it without any co-signer. Of course it was used and not a dream car but my little brown Chevy Chevette got me from point A to point B.

Comments are closed.