SoCS — Lost Hope

For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill, we are asked to use the word “hope.”

I’ve lost hope in America, the country of my birth, the country on the behalf of which I served in the military, and the country I have lived in my entire life. I used to be very hopeful about America, but now I’m feeling rather hopeless.

What has caused me to lose hope in America? Well, let’s see. I have lost hope due to the fact that Americans own more guns than there are men, women, and children combined in America. Or the fact that there are more gun homicides and mass shootings in America than there are in any other country on the planet. And the fact that there is one particular political party that has no interest in addressing gun violence or even in enacting common sense gun laws.

I have lost hope because systemic racism and white supremacism still exists in this country — and is, in fact, on the rise — and there is one political party that won’t acknowledge that or is even willing to talk about it.

I have lost hope because one political party is doing everything it can to suppress the fundamental right of Americans to vote because the members of that party claim that there is massive voter fraud (despite no evidence to support that claim) and that political party’s voter suppression efforts are aimed directly at minority voters.

I have lost hope because eight months after Joe Biden decisively won the presidential election, there is one political party that has embraced Donald Trump’s Big Lie and is doing everything it can at the local, state, and federal levels to cast doubts upon the outcome of the American electoral process and the legitimacy of the duly elected president.

I have lost hope when I see members of one political party refusing to investigate an attempted insurrection in Washington, DC on January 6th and is coming up with all kinds of nonsensical reasons to claim that the first ever attempt to breach the U.S. Capitol Building in American history was no big deal.

I have lost hope because there is one political party, which claims to represent individual rights, and members of that party decided to make wearing face masks, maintaining social distancing, and getting vaccinated during a deadly pandemic a divisive political issue. And yet, when it comes to the individual rights of women to control their own reproductive health care, that same political party is promoting and enacting restrictive laws that make it nearly impossible for women to legally have an abortion.

I have lost hope because there is one political party that denies that climate change is a man-made “thing” that threatens the very existence of the future of human life and mocks the idea of going green into order to preserve our home for future generations.

And I have lost hope that, because of one political party, the America I have known and loved will soon no longer continue to exist.

Photo Credit: Derek R. Audette at shutterstock.com

P.S. I have also lost hope that I caught all of the typos, misspellings, and grammatically incorrect sentences in this post because it’s midnight as I’m writing this and I’m dead tired and when I try to proofread this post, my eyes are getting all blurry. Oh well. It is stream of consciousness, right?

14 thoughts on “SoCS — Lost Hope

1. Terveen Gill July 10, 2021 / 5:34 am

This is truly a brilliant piece of writing. Bravo!
    And your hope is not shattered.
    It’s all good and fine. Reads so well. 🙂

2. Melanie B Cee July 10, 2021 / 7:54 am

I think you’re optimistic in saying that the America many of us knew and loved ‘will soon be gone.” Not to be a nay-sayer, but that ship has sailed in my opinion. “America’ that we grew up in, that we loved and were proud to support, has been killed by those same morons you cited in your excellent post. Traitors and treasonous the lot of them. It’s a very grim time to be alive, isn’t it?

3. rugby843 July 10, 2021 / 8:23 am

Right and I like this post even though it is discouraging.  All true as far as I’m concerned.  I know there are “moderate” republicans out there, why aren’t there more speaking up?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

• Fandango July 10, 2021 / 9:33 am

They are worried about being primaried by more fat-right Trumpian Republicans

4. Janet Alcorn July 10, 2021 / 11:32 am

You’re right, of course, and it’s so discouraging. I’m an optimist by nature, and even I struggle to find much hope for the future of my country.

5. Marleen July 10, 2021 / 7:44 pm

Crap!

Note a half minute,
    beginning at 4:00.

United States AUCTIONS OFF Parts of The Country

The Damage Report

Published on Jul 10, 2021

The bipartisan infrastructure deal is selling off public needs to private companies. Services such as roads, water, and electric. John Iadarola and David Dayen break it down on The Damage Report.

{I added the boldface on one word.}

• Marleen July 11, 2021 / 1:22 am

It might help to elect more progressives —
      rather than Democrats clamoring
      to make Republicans happy.

Nina Turner Scores Markey Endorsement…

6. lssattitudeofgratitude July 10, 2021 / 11:11 pm

Your post is so right on. It is sad and depressing that my grandchildren will not know the united United States, I grew up in.

7. c110ofonestate July 20, 2021 / 1:50 pm

Sounds like you need a new home Country, I hear real estate is cheap in Cuba.

8. leigha66 July 25, 2021 / 6:58 pm

It is even scarier when it is all laid out in front like this… I miss the innocence of my youth when I saw the nation as one UNITED States. The older I have gotten the more frightening it has become. Wonderful SOC Fandango!