Fandango’s Provocative Question #125

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This week’s provocative question is about “style.” What do I mean by style? Well, as Shakespeare might say, there’s the rub. According to my extensive research, style refers to a person’s particular way of expressing themselves — whether that’s through style of clothing, writing style, preferred hair style, or style of architecture. It’s the total combination of the way a person dresses, talks, writes, moves their body, etc. Simply put, style is how we express our inner being outwardly. This includes all of our thoughts, emotions, interests, and values. Everything on the outside is merely a reflection of what’s on the inside.

Having read all that, I still can’t put my finger on what style actually is. Do we each have one style or do we have several or even many styles? So my question to you is about how you would characterize your style. You can interpret the question any way you wish as you consider your answer. So here’s the question.

What’s your style?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

20 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #125

1. writerravenclaw July 7, 2021 / 8:53 am

My style is in the way I express myself in the way I write. From when I was young I always knew I wanted to be a writer. My dad believed in me when he brought me a petite typewriter. So I believe in myself now.

2. Marilyn Armstrong July 7, 2021 / 1:51 pm

If the fashion industry had to depend on me or people like me, there wouldn’t BE a fashion industry. I don’t have a style. Jeans. T-Shirt. Sandals or boots. And, if it’s cold, a winter coat. I’ve been doing my absolute best to wear the same clothing for my entire life. So far, so good!

• Fandango July 7, 2021 / 2:35 pm

Your style is like my style. Comfort first and foremost.

3. Marleen July 7, 2021 / 9:40 pm

I’ll go with… my style is jazz [no I’m not a musician but have been a singer and taken instrumental and music history (not at a college level) classes in the past]. I have a wide variety of interests (in general) as well as ways to present myself in terms of clothing. But there’s always at least a tinge of jazz (and sometimes I evaluate whether I should reign in far more than a tinge). I mean this metaphorically, but it also transfers. My home is more jazz than white picket fence. As for music itself, a young guy teaching guitar to one of my sons explained (of his own view anyway) that jazz makes you move side to side while straight rock makes you bounce forward and back rather plainly. I like mostly the vicinity of what is called rock, though — and, while I’ll enjoy jazz stations, I am not very even if I am slightly familiar with those names and so forth. Included in my repertoire is some very intense rock that most people would not associate with jazz at all, but (while I haven’t tested the idea strictly) if it’s not at least conducive to something like an infinity swoosh or bouncing side to side or on a diagonal (or, alternatively, tending toward an almost motionless bliss for a bath), probably not going to be in the running for most appreciated category. This usually involves being polyrhythmic as well. Also, while (and likely because) I am very analytical (but can often zone out and enjoy the birds or what have you), I have an odd sense of humor (yet most people wouldn’t think of me as funny). Still, I enjoy different approaches to humor such as “dad jokes” too (good dads). {Just not fake humor that is followed by a nearly perpetual, “just kiddin’ around” or “why aren’t you drinking?” Or “lighten up.” Yeah, passive aggressive and controlling isn’t humorous.}

• Fandango July 7, 2021 / 10:13 pm

I’ve been a fan of what I call rock/jazz fusion for a long time, with Steely Dan, Chicago, and Brian Auger & the Oblivion Express being prime examples. There was a period where I listened mostly to New Age music, which also is a fusion of rock, jazz, and classical music. But I am, for the most part, still listening mostly to classic rock.

• Marleen July 8, 2021 / 9:34 am

I had to look up Brian Auger. He’s in the classic rock genre, for sure. I’d also include Led Zeppelin in jazzy rock.

4. Marleen July 8, 2021 / 1:48 pm

Tiny sunglasses are stupid, for sure.

I started losing hair after my last child was born.
    I decided that was a clue it was, if for no other reason,
    time to stop doing that. My hair returned, is very hot in summer.