Hoist By My Own Petard

I screwed up big time today. I got hoist by my own petard. Huh? I got what? What exactly does that mean?

Well, a “petard” is a small bomb, a container full of gunpowder used to blow open locked gates or fortified doors or walls. If you are “hoist by your own petard,” you get blown up — lifted off your feet, or hoist — by your own bomb, and you have no one to blame but yourself.

So what did I do to get hoist by my own petard? My Fandango’s One-Word Challenge today was “essay.” All well and good, right? Well, not so much, actually. I checked my spam and trash folders a few minutes ago and much to my chagrin, all comments and pingbacks to my FOWC with Fandango post today went directly into my trash folder!

Why was that happening? Simple. Late last year I started receiving tons of spam from people offering to write essays that I could buy. I ended up adding the word “essay” in my blocked comments list. Thus, anytime the word “essay” appeared in a comment on one of my posts, it bypassed spam and went directly to trash. So when I used the word “essay” as my prompt word today, all of your comments containing that word went to trash.

And that’s the sad story of how I was hoist by my own petard today.

I have tried to go through my trash folder and restore and approve all of those wrongly trashed comments and pingbacks, but I may have missed some. Sorry about that.

By the way, a lot of spam has showed up today containing the word “kratom.” Does anybody know what that is?

22 thoughts on “Hoist By My Own Petard

1. Marilyn Armstrong July 6, 2021 / 3:50 pm

I wrote a post about “petards” too. Like a year ago. Don’t worry. No one remembers it anyway. That’s the great thing about blogging. No one remembers what you wrote more than half an hour after you write it.

• Fandango July 6, 2021 / 3:52 pm

There’s a lot of truth to that. I don’t remember what even I wrote half an hour after I posted it!

2. newepicauthor July 6, 2021 / 4:03 pm

I am thinking about adding the word vape to my blocked comments list, as so many spammers hit me with all of these vape things.

3. Lou Carreras July 6, 2021 / 4:06 pm

I am reminded of purchased likes on FB. They all had odd names and were from Asia or the Balkans. But what you and Marilyn Armstrong say is true. If you write enough posts they begin to blend together, and you forget what you said. Sometimes that might even be a good thing..

• Marleen July 6, 2021 / 5:07 pm

Good thinking.

4. Marleen July 6, 2021 / 5:05 pm

Tick-tick…

💣 Thanks for that.

5. cagedunn July 6, 2021 / 9:12 pm

Kratom is some form of drug. Don’t know what for, nor am I interested, but I got a few of those for a while.

Sorry about the essay problem.

• Fandango July 6, 2021 / 11:08 pm

Thanks. I ultimately googled it. Yeah, some kind of drug, which doesn’t interest me, either.

6. jilldennison July 6, 2021 / 11:11 pm

Oops!!! I’ve done similar things before, but at least you were able to figure it out! I hadn’t commented or visited yet. Spam comments are so annoying … Akismet catches most of them, but even so it’s annoying just seeing that I have 78 comments in my spam folder!

• Fandango July 6, 2021 / 11:13 pm

A few days ago, after not checking my spam folder for a whole day, I had 153 comments in my spam folder and 128 in my trash folder. 😠

• Melanie B Cee July 7, 2021 / 8:10 am

Oops on your petard blowing things all to hell and back. I’m curious (not that I know a damned thing about how iPhones process such things) if you’ve checked that little box in the settings option that reads (paraphased because I don’t remember things very long either, particularly instructions) that reads something like “Non-searchable by search engines”? I don’t have your popularity obviously, but I’ve got that thing checked and I almost never get any spam at all. Not unless somebody I’ve previously blocked tries to comment or something on a post of mine. Thanks again for a second morning giggle! Keep this up and I might have to go change my pants (TMI..sorry). 😉

• Fandango July 7, 2021 / 11:10 am

I checked the WordPress app on my iPhone and it doesn’t have that setting. I may go to WordPress.com on my iPhone, though, and see if that setting is there.

7. Carol anne July 7, 2021 / 3:30 am

Oops! I am glad you were able to restore all of the comments that went to the trash! 😀

8. Terveen Gill July 7, 2021 / 5:47 am

Uh-oh moments happen. And learning about ‘petards’ was awesome. And have no idea about kratom. But if it’s a drug, then good thing I don’t know. 🙂

9. mr cliff July 8, 2021 / 9:10 am

A KRATOM is a word used in older comic books to indicate a great force or power was used against a combatant. Imagine Thor hitting the Hulk with his hammer. That panel would have the Hulk flying back and between him and the blow would be that single word, KRATOM!!!

10. leigha66 July 20, 2021 / 9:49 pm

I have heard in tea form it may have some of the health benefits of CBD but without THC, it has a different “drug” component. But I have read it has potential to help chronic pain, depression and anxiety. Other than that I know the gas station down the street sells it. 😎

Comments are closed.