Juxtaposition

I was reading this morning’s San Francisco Chronicle when this photo caught my eye.

The headline read, “Despite urgent warnings of fire danger, Bay Area fireworks sales are booming.” But what I found most interesting was the sign posted on the left of the fireworks booths.

And then, on the next page of the paper was this article.

The article below that headline noted that, “At least seventeen wildfires have started in California over the past week, fueled by powerful wind gusts, hot weather and dangerously dry conditions, according to state fire officials. Most have sprung up in Northern California.

Speaking about juxtaposition, I also saw these two headlines in the morning paper.

I wonder if anyone understands the concept of “cause and effect” anymore.

19 thoughts on “Juxtaposition

1. rugby843 July 2, 2021 / 9:32 am

Firework sales are huge here and you hear them all year long even though illegal in city limits. Last year a humongous area was leveled putting lots of firefighters in danger but it doesn’t stop. Driving by the huge blackened area is sad.

2. Melanie B Cee July 2, 2021 / 12:47 pm

Some of us do, but have grown weary of trying to explain it to others who just give us weird looks and sneer at us.

3. D. Wallace Peach July 2, 2021 / 1:30 pm

I was just down there and every day it was over a 100 degrees. And we watched the fires in the foothills of Mt. Shasta. Fireworks? They’re going to fire work. Sigh.

4. JT Twissel July 2, 2021 / 1:35 pm

It’s a chicken/egg scenario. The only thing I like about the Fourth is the parade, the beer and the hot dogs!

5. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing July 3, 2021 / 1:16 pm

Insanity 😕. I thought fireworks would have been banned in parts California because of the fires. PS Trump is in my little city in Florida tonight. Evidently his rally is called Save America. Only thing we need saving from is him 🤣 Any decent former president would be over in Miami consoling the families of victims from the condo collapse

6. leigha66 July 15, 2021 / 11:58 pm

Fireworks are pretty and all but they do so much more damage then they are worth anymore. Make an investment in a laser light show instead. That wont cause dogs to run away, give flashbacks to PTSD sufferers, or start fires and maim people.