Blogging Insights — Nothing Unusual

For this week’s edition of Blogging Insights, Dr. Tanya wants to know…

When you use a word/term that you think your readers might not know do you think you should add a link to it, or is it a better idea to let people find out on their own?

I try to keep my vocabulary when writing posts to be pretty basic. I don’t want my readers to have to run screaming to their dictionaries when they’re reading my posts in order to understand the words I use and what I’m saying. So I try to avoid “unusual” words in my posts. I’m not trying to “dumb down” my writing. I just want to make sure reading what I write is a pleasant experience for most people.

I found an online readability assessment tool on the internet and cut and pasted the text from this post of mine from a few days ago through that tool. Here are the results of that test:

So that particular post of mine was written to be consumable to a reader with an eighth and ninth grade reading comprehension level (i.e., ages 13-15). I am pretty sure that most of those who read my blog can deal with that reading level.

If you want to put a sample of your own writing through that same reading level test, you can click here. You might find the results interesting.

27 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Nothing Unusual

1. Ritish Sharma June 28, 2021 / 9:09 am

What most bloggers do is use ‘very strong’ which vocabulary, which only makes their post uneasy to read.

So its completely ok to stick with basic or a mixture of moderate vocabulary.

2. newepicauthor June 28, 2021 / 9:38 am

Thanks for that link Fandango and I just entered my Blogging Insights post there and here are my results, just in case you are interested.
    Grade Level: 11
    Reading Level: standard / average.
    Reader’s Age: 15-17 yrs. old (Tenth to Eleventh graders)

• Fandango June 28, 2021 / 1:54 pm

Well, at least your writing doesn’t require a PhD. 😏

3. pensitivity101 June 28, 2021 / 9:49 am

I did it too and got Grade level 10, reading level standard/average, reader’s age 14-15 (ninth to tenth graders). Interesting indeed.

4. lssattitudeofgratitude June 28, 2021 / 10:10 am

A very interesting tool. I remember at some point being told the newspaper is written at an 8th grade level (which I buy) and that tax forms are written at a ninth grade level (which I feel is major BS.)

5. Taswegian1957 June 28, 2021 / 10:23 am

That was an interesting exercise. I tried it with a recent post I wrote about a trip to a nearby town and got Grade level 7. I do try to avoid using a lot of unusual words because I’m conscious that for some readers English may be a second language.
    I may check some posts I’ve written on more serious subjects to see if come out the same.

• Fandango June 28, 2021 / 1:57 pm

I plan to check a few more posts, too. Out of curiosity.

6. drtanya@saltedcaramel June 28, 2021 / 8:12 pm

I am so glad I asked this question.
    Now we all know about the Readability Consensus.
    I will put my posts through the app.

What I meant was not necessarily level of difficulty but out of the way words.

• Fandango June 28, 2021 / 10:03 pm

Yeah, I guess I went off on a bit of a tangent.

• drtanya@saltedcaramel June 29, 2021 / 7:35 pm

Not at all.
        The questions are meant to be answered from the angle that you choose.
        What I meant when asking can be completely different. In my opinion it is this dichotomy that makes the series useful.

7. Snehal Suhane June 29, 2021 / 3:37 am

I put in one of my favourite posts from my blog and it said college graduate… which is funny because I’m myself still in 11th grade 😂😂

8. Marleen July 1, 2021 / 2:36 am

So… I was reminded, a few hours ago when watching a recorded or saved Maddow episode that I’d not seen before, of something that surprised me not many days ago upon seeing the heading or subject line of an email someone else sent. He had not used an apostrophe in a possessive and had misspelled a homophone (chosen the wrong one). This person is very high level management (but not a ceo/cfo/coo/cto, president, or vice president… although I think someone with one of those titles might do this kind of thing more because the point [excepting the cto and coo and cfo] is bluster); he works for an extremely reputable company (not anybody like the Trump org or the Trump foundation or the Trump Inauguration Committee or Trump campaign).

The segment the following clip or composit came from was about fifteen minutes long on the show, but it got edited down to five. The illustration that reminded me is still included. A powerful banker used the spelling of “perspective” when he meant prospective; those aren’t even homophones.

Prosecutors argue banker tried to buy spot in Trump admin with risky loan to Manafort

Calling this set of loans “risky” is a farcical understatement — or an understatement that illustrates the farcical condition of banking and finance these days. Too many exceedingly rich or powerful people shit up this world (with their morals rather than their spelling).

• Fandango July 1, 2021 / 8:37 am

Yes, I remember seeing that segment.

• Marleen July 1, 2021 / 12:40 pm

I failed to mention that the person who used the wrong homophone (as well as a word with a missing possessive apostrophe) in an email subject line is someone I know; he’s helping me with something very important and making headway. Meanwhile, the guy in the video used a misspelling that wasn’t a homophone (as well as a misspelling that was a homophone which I didn’t include in what I wrote about it).

• Marleen July 1, 2021 / 4:03 pm

Just saw Barbara Res on Ari Member’s show and have to say she, as I’m reminded she was former executive vice president, isn’t just bluster.

9. leigha66 July 10, 2021 / 8:05 pm

I may have to bookmark that page… I am guessing maybe 6th to 8th grade levels. I am not sure how it would rate poetry?

Comments are closed.