A Post-Orwellian World

A conservative Nevada group called the Nevada Family Alliance has proposed putting body cameras on teachers to stop them from teaching Critical Race Theory.

Critical Race Theory is a way of understanding how American racism has shaped public policy. At its core is the idea that racism is a social construct, and that it is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies.

The Washoe County (Nevada) School District has said that Critical Race Theory isn’t part of its curriculum. But they have proposed to incorporate equity, diversity, and racism into its K-5 curriculum.

“You guys have a serious problem with activist teachers pushing politics in the classroom, and there’s no place for it, especially for our fifth graders,” Nevada Family Alliance director Karen England told trustees.

England claims to have received reports of teachers “contradicting the lessons taught by parents at home,” particularly on race, and that bodycams would create “a record that could be viewed by appropriate parties.”

Bodycams on teachers to monitor what they are teaching their students? We are entering a post-Orwellian world.

30 thoughts on “A Post-Orwellian World

• Fandango June 25, 2021 / 12:21 pm

Yeah, I’m thinking that this world sucks right about now. Thanks for the reblog, Marilyn.

1. Paula Light June 25, 2021 / 11:29 am

CRT is a college level course, but that doesn’t stop the RW loons from carrying on about it, just like when they screamed that primary schools were going to turn all the kids gay…

2. JT Twissel June 25, 2021 / 11:42 am

I was raised in Reno Nevada. A few years ago they voted a dead pimp into the legislature. The campaign slogan was something like “Even a dead pimp is better than a democrat.” Nuff said.

• Marleen June 25, 2021 / 1:28 pm

….

Hof celebrated his win at a party in Pahrump with Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss at his side.

“It’s all because Donald Trump was the Christopher Columbus for me,” Hof told the Associated Press in a phone call. “He found the way and I jumped on it.”

Hof, who wrote a book titled “The Art of the Pimp,” has dubbed himself “The Trump of Pahrump,” and held a rally with longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone. …

…..

Most brothels operate in rural areas of Nevada. They’re banned in the counties that contain Las Vegas and Reno.

Hof said Tuesday he’s downsizing his business by selling off some brothels to focus more on politics.

Oscarson and Hof previously faced off in 2016 when Hof ran for the seat as a Libertarian. Oscarson won with 60 per cent of the vote.

• Marleen June 25, 2021 / 4:26 pm

There’s a reading/recording/audio-file of the following article at the site below.

A brothel-owning, evangelical Christian-backed Republican candidate who died last month won his race for the Nevada state legislature … according to state election officials. Dennis Hof, 72, defeated Democratic candidate and educator Lesia Romanov in the race for Nevada’s 36th Assembly District, earning about 68 percent of the vote. …

………….

3. Marleen June 25, 2021 / 3:16 pm

“Post-Orwellian” is really a thought-provoking classification.

4. Taswegian1957 June 25, 2021 / 7:06 pm

I guess teachers are always going to be accused of corrupting children with their radical ideas.I don’t know a lot about this issue yet but the idea of making them wear body cams is appalling. What other subjects will they decide to monitor? It sounds a bit like the whole Creationism vs Evolution thing all over again.

5. Lolsy's Library June 25, 2021 / 10:24 pm

I wonder when people will start to realise that teachers aren’t trained to be soldiers, or police. They are there to TEACH. Which means everything. Too help people LEARN about the world.

• Fandango June 25, 2021 / 10:48 pm

But if what they teach is thought to be offensive or subversive to those in charge or to the parents of the students, the teachers become the enemy. It’s ridiculous.

• Lolsy's Library June 25, 2021 / 10:55 pm

My partners a teacher and since COVID there’s been a increase in teachers leaving and going out on stress leave. That body cam would be make things a lot worse. Wouldn’t it be considered also a police state as well, or just very borderline?

6. CARAMEL June 29, 2021 / 11:35 am

Oh I knew of teachers contradicting what my parents had taught us on a variety of subjects. I had to learn to remember the answer that the exams would want – and sometimes I would actually write on my exam papers – “this is the answer our teachers taught us…however I disagree because….” But I had learnt to form and express views at an early age.

I never felt I could take everything the teachers said as always correct. Teachers contradicted teachers. The National Curriculum sometimes seemed to contradict itself!

We saw several teachers have nervous breakdowns and long absences due to stress. We also saw teachers leaving their family after having an affair with another teachers. I think we saw very early on that nobody is infallible, and that when teachers put their own spin on things, they can end up setting you off in the wrong direction. In one particular lesson, a teacher regularly sat down with her head in her hands because she could not control the class and asked if I would be willing to take over. It was bizarre.

I do remember the candour of my history teacher though in painting Britain’s abuse of other nations, and the European migration to the Americas wiping out native Indians. I remember the “political” view of our geography teacher as being quite non-conforming. Our English teacher asked us lots of questions to make us think about racial injustice and the power of community pressure.

• Fandango June 29, 2021 / 11:43 am

Teachers, like parents and virtually all human beings, are not infallible. That said, making them wear bodycams so that some “higher authority” can monitor what they are teaching is, in my opinion, a step too far.

• CARAMEL June 29, 2021 / 11:47 am

It would be a sad state of affairs if it became mandatory.

• Marleen June 29, 2021 / 2:56 pm

I was taught how to answer that way, too. To demonstrate that the material was retained but was not necessarily the last word in the matter. That was in a conservative extracurricular environment (before so-called conservatives were entirely insane like my mother who had put me into contact with them)… in anticipation, on their part, of my attending university (although they used the word college instead while offspring could have sought religious colleges to avoid the whole thing theoretically). Now the sad young people who go to places like the one run by Franklin Graham or the one by the Falwells need to know how to do that.