Baggy Trousers

When I saw that today’s Ragtag Daily Prompt was “baggy trousers,” I decided to dig down into my archives and repost something I wrote back in August of 2017.

The Swagger of the Sagger

IMG_2551

I’ve already written one post about manscaping and another one about murses and fanny packs. So why not, I thought, go for the trifecta when it comes to men’s fashion trends?

Today’s men’s fashion topic is “sagging,” which is a way of wearing pants that sag so that the top of the pants are significantly below the waist — sometimes even below the butt — to reveal much of the wearer’s underwear.

Supposedly, the origin of sagging came from prisons, where the inmates, who were prohibited from wearing belts, often wore sagging prison-issued uniforms, and they carried that look with them once they were back on the outside.

The problem, though, is that pants were never intended to be worn that way. They are supposed to be worn at the waist. That’s how they’re designed. That’s how they fit.

So what the hell is going on with guys who wear their pants with the top at or below their butt cheeks? I can’t imagine that it’s comfortable to wear pants that way. And since most of those I see wearing their pants like that have belts on, it’s not because their pants are too large and keep falling down.

Maybe they want to show off their fancy boxer shorts. After all, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy who wears tighty-whities sagging his pants. Is it suppose to be a fashion statement?

Maybe those who sag think it gives them swagger, the appearance of defiance or insolence. Maybe they’re tying to send the message that they are dangerous dudes and are not to be messed with.

Well, I just don’t get it. If sagging is a fashion statement, I would really like someone explain it to me. Because if it’s meant to send a message about the sagger, the only message I’m getting is that they look totally ridiculous.

But hey, I’m just an aging Baby Boomer. I used to wear tie-dyed t-shirts and bell bottom jeans. So what do I know?

12 thoughts on “Baggy Trousers

1. bushboy June 24, 2021 / 3:40 pm

The most stupid trend that I am glad didn’t last as people ridiculed them not thought them as dangerous dudes. Great take on the prompt. Thanks for joining in Fandango 🙂 🙂

2. lifelessons June 24, 2021 / 7:02 pm

I’m with you. No comparison between bellbottoms and pants in danger of falling off and tripping you. Just ridiculous. And of course I am the great fashion authority.

3. Mister Bump UK June 24, 2021 / 10:09 pm

When we went shopping the other week (remember the photos?)…

We were eating a sandwich for lunch and I did this double take when someone (young, female) walked past me with her ass hanging out. Literally. Cheeks, crack…
    She wore her jeans *under* her butt somehow. This was absolutely deliberate.

Where the fuck were these people when I could see properly?

4. Lolsy's Library June 24, 2021 / 10:37 pm

When these first came out, I just wanted to run behind them and pull their pants up. I was in my 20’s at the time. It’s not just boomers, who don’t get it either!lol

5. Irene June 25, 2021 / 4:54 am

Ugh, I had forgotten about that horrible trend, thank goodness it didn’t last! “Baggy trousers” made me think of the early 80s, those pants with lots of pleats at the waist, like the “mom jeans”; they were ugly and unflattering, but nothing like the “sagging”.

6. pensitivity101 June 25, 2021 / 10:49 am

Yuk! I hope they see pictures of themselves and cringe. Grown men who don’t know how to pull their trousers up!

7. Marilyn Armstrong June 25, 2021 / 7:00 pm

When we were living in Roxbury, I spied a couple of guys all wearing matching red silky undershorts and sagging pants. I couldn’t help it. I laughed myself silly. I’m sure they thought they looked very cool, but they looked like total dorks.

• Fandango June 25, 2021 / 10:37 pm

It’s amazing how our our own eyes can deceive us “…they thought they looked very cool….” 🤦🏼‍♂️