Truthful Tuesday — Whatever Floats Your Boat

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts, and this week Frank wants to know…

Aside from those with physical limitations that would impair their ability to actually read, does listening to audio books count as actually reading in your mind? Why or why not?

I’m not a purist when it comes to reading books. There are those who say that the only way to read a book is to pick up the book in your hands and physically turn the pages. They say that reading an ebook should not count as reading a book. I think that’s ridiculous. My entire book collection, these days, is on my iPhone in my Kindle app. And when I read an ebook, I consider it to be reading a book, even though I’m not actually holding a printed, physical book in my hands.

As to audio books, I haven’t partaken in that form of book reading. But I don’t see that there’s any big deal to be made of listening to someone read a book to you versus reading the book yourself. It still counts as having read the book.

To my mind, the point is to enjoy the contents of the book, so whether you require the feel and smell of a printed book, would rather enjoy the convenience of reading a book on your computer, tablet, or smartphone, or would prefer to hear someone’s voice reading it to you, it’s fine with me. I am pro-choice and as I often say, “whatever floats your boat.”

11 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Whatever Floats Your Boat

1. SandyL June 15, 2021 / 9:52 am

I agree 100% In terms of appreciating the written word, reading from a physical, an e-book or audio book makes no difference. Sensory appreciation differs though. Some folks like the tactile feel and smell of a book. Others like me, process more by reading than hearing. I find I can read for hours but will fall asleep in minutes, if I’m listening to an audio book.

• SandyL June 15, 2021 / 10:05 am

btw thanks for link to Truthful Tuesday. Now that I’ve found it, I may just post something on my own!

2. shail June 15, 2021 / 10:29 am

“To my mind, the point is to enjoy the contents of the book…”
    Exactly how I see it too.

3. Misky June 15, 2021 / 1:08 pm

Agreed. My entire library is now digital. Even recipes that I test are sent to me as PDFs, so I can make notations and easily send them back by email. A few years back, the recipes would arrive in the post. It was a complete faff. And did I mention that I can bookmark pages without strips of torn paper hanging out everywhere, or dog-eared pages?

4. Taswegian1957 June 16, 2021 / 12:59 am

I think that reading an eBook is the same as reading a print copy. I have quite a few eBooks on my Kindle now. Audio books, hmm, I have some of those too but I have the same problem as SandyL. If I listen to one in bed I will fall asleep and have to backtrack to where I got up to. I do enjoy them when I can stay awake though. Is being read to the same as reading is a harder question. Yes, you have learned what is in the book but you haven’t actually performed the act of reading the words. Regardless of that I think that as long as you enjoy books it doesn’t matter how you consume them.

5. Terveen Gill June 16, 2021 / 1:01 am

Hearing something has its distractions. Reading on the other hand is a focused effort. 🙂

6. leigha66 June 25, 2021 / 1:14 pm

When I had a 15 to 20 minute drive into work I would listen to audio books. I now have Kindle apps on my phone and computer. But I will always prefer the real deal in my hands. Of course theses days a lot of my reading takes the form of blogs instead of books.