TMP — Heat Wave

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. My peeve today is about the heat.

It’s not even the middle of June and in a few days we are going to hit triple digits (Fahrenheit). And, no rain in sight. So, it’s going to be a long, hot, dry summer. And that means a summer and fall prone to wildfires. Isn’t that special?

I guess I’ll be staying inside most of the time between now and October with the air conditioning on full blast. I have to ask myself at times why I moved from San Francisco to the East Bay, just 35 miles to the east. Especially when it’s forecast to be 103° on Thursday where I live now and the high in San Francisco is only forecast to be 73°.

17 thoughts on “TMP — Heat Wave

1. newepicauthor June 14, 2021 / 3:51 pm

I think you meat 3 digits, not 6 digits, as that would be really hot. The Sun is well up in the 6 digit range being 9,941°F,

• Fandango June 14, 2021 / 3:59 pm

Oops. Thanks, Jim. Math was never my strong suit. 😂 I just edited to “triple digits.”

2. amoralegria June 14, 2021 / 3:59 pm

As we say here in Chicago, it’s always “cooler by the lake.” I guess 35 miles in the SF area makes all the difference too!

3. Sadje June 14, 2021 / 5:36 pm

Perhaps family considerations were stronger than electricity bill?

4. rugby843 June 14, 2021 / 6:15 pm

Yup, SF cool all year round😄

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

5. Melanie B Cee June 15, 2021 / 7:36 am

When you question your decision to move over there, just go visit the grand kiddies for a while. It’ll remind you why you left what to me would have been Paradise (temperature wise). I love San Francisco though, always have. I’m sorry about the heat, but it is summer after all. Soon enough some of us will be grousing about how damned cold it is and how yucky the snow is! 😉 Take care Fandango! YAY for A/C, hmm?

6. RuthScribbles June 15, 2021 / 8:55 am

Hot here too. The feels like was 107° yesterday. This is August weather, and our state power grid is already having issues. OY

7. esoterica June 15, 2021 / 4:33 pm

Phoenix is pushing 120 this week, the skies are brown with wildfire ash, and they’re forecasting yet another year of no rain. I’m sharing your peeve today!

8. fgsjr2015 June 23, 2021 / 6:08 pm

Unfortunately, spending quality time at home with the air conditioner during a heat wave
    means extra power consumption and therefore a bigger bill. I say, maybe every residential/business structure should harvest at least some energy through solar cell panels, even if only as an emergency/backup source of power via independent storage system; albeit the idea likely would be opposed by various corporate interests. If solar-panel universality would come at the profit-margin expense of the traditional energy production companies, one can expect obstacles, including the political and regulatory sort. If it notably conflicts with corporate big-profit interests, even very progressive motions are greatly resisted, often enough successfully.

Of course there will be those, usually Internet trolls, who will mock the idea for ‘not being realistic’. One based his rebuttal solely on the flawed notion that if it were possible to have such independent solar-power generation and storage, it would have been done by now and made a few people very rich. When such illogic is widely accepted, it’s much easier for some big business entity to maintain an outdatedly problematic but still very profitable status-quo energy system.

Regardless, it may no longer be prudent to have every structure’s entire electricity supply relying on external power lines that are susceptible to being crippled by unforeseen events, including storms of unprecedented magnitude, especially considering our very vulnerable overreliance on electricity. Also, coronal mass ejections’ powerful EMF effects leave electrical grids vulnerable to potentially extensive damage and long-lasting power outages.

• Fandango June 23, 2021 / 10:44 pm

And you didn’t mention wildfires, common in the hot, dry, windy summers where I live, which can also play havoc with the power grids.

9. leigha66 June 24, 2021 / 8:24 pm

Been hot and dry here too. Southern Iowa is getting a little rain tonight but Northern Iowa is in a worse drought right now. The grass is all brown… won’t be long before rationing starts I fear.