Who Won the Week? 06/13/2021

FWWTWThe idea behind Who Won the Week is to give you the opportunity to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week’s Who Won the Week winner is the environment. It’s about time the environment started winning, isn’t it?

So how did the environment win? Well, have you ever heard of the XL Pipeline? The 1,200 mile Keystone XL pipeline was first proposed in 2008 by Canada-based TC Energy (formerly TransCanada) as a way to quickly pump 830,000 barrels of tar sands (a.k.a. oil sands) per day from Canada’s Alberta province across the border to Steele City, Nebraska.Once there, the Keystone XL expansion would extend converge with the existing pipeline infrastructure, traveling south to Texas for processing in Gulf Coast oil refineries.

When the idea for Keystone XL was first conceived, the project made a lot of sense — the U.S. economy depended on oil, and supporters of the pipeline claimed it was in both countries’ interest to find a way to transport oil efficiently across the continent.

However, many Indigenous rights groups and people from communities along the proposed route argued the pipeline extension would have disastrous impacts for Native communities in both Canada and the U.S. and on the environment.

Environmental groups took note of Indigenous opposition to the Keystone XL pipeline and the pipeline became a cause célèbre of the various stakeholders — Native communities, climate activists, scientists, policymakers, farmers, landowners, and everyday citizens — engaging in the broader debate about climate change.

Facing pressure from the anti-Keystone movement, President Obama finally canceled the pipeline in 2015, saying the pipeline wouldn’t make gas any cheaper or improve American energy security.

But in January 2016, TC Energy filed a lawsuit against the U.S. for canceling Keystone XL pipeline. And of course, In January 2017, just days into his presidency, Donald Trump issued an executive order inviting TC Energy to reapply for a presidential permit for Keystone XL to cross the Canadian border. He also promised a speedy approval process.

President Joe Biden issued an executive order revoking the pipeline’s permit on his first day in office, halting construction on the project. And finally, this past Wednesday, the Canadian developer TC Energy said that, after reviewing its options, the company had decided not to move forward. And so the embattled Keystone XL pipeline has officially been abandoned.

Good for the environment and good for the Indigenous people in both Canada and the U.S.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

20 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? 06/13/2021

1. rugby843 June 13, 2021 / 9:57 am

Agreed 100 percent! Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Agreed

2. Marleen June 13, 2021 / 2:53 pm

When I was taking political or governmental administration classes, I was often writing (by my own choice and being the only one doing so) on this subject matter. I LIKE YOUR SELECTION.

I’m going to share this just to be informative:

These two beat The NYT to be the top political podcast (the sound only version I think) in the USA.

This is about a brand new show called “Breaking Points” (which is independent) — but it’s a follow-up to when Saagar and Krystal hosted “Rising” (via The Hill news publication).

• Marleen June 14, 2021 / 11:13 am

Apparently, this young lady who used to work for the Donald Trump presidential administration won a job to replace a half in the pairing for the format of “Rising” (while The Hill’s new take has the female being the right-winger [whereas Krystal was and is on the left] and I don’t recognize these two people at all).

Emily Miller: Robert Redfield CANCELLED Over Lab Leak Theory

Sadly, while Emily gets it right that we were not supposed to even entertain the idea the virus may have come out of a lab before but are now allowed to think it’s possible, she goes on to overstate what is likely. I think it’s likely that it came from a lab, but I don’t think Fauci was trying to do something “to kill people” (and if that’s not what she meant she should’ve been more careful with her wording). What the lesson should be is that “gain of function” science is dangerous (even when harm isn’t intended). [Another quizzical question I have is, in fact, why we want to do things like that in a “rival” country. I happen to know also that a major American computer company moved a chunk of its operation to Russia during the Trump time; I just don’t get how these choices make sense.]

• Marleen June 14, 2021 / 5:22 pm

In case anyone hasn’t noticed or heard, Biden himself has recently acknowledged it might’ve come from a lab. (Something that isn’t, meanwhile, being said is that there were early reports it might’ve come from a lab in North or South Carolina.)

• Marleen June 16, 2021 / 11:13 am

Colin and Emily [thinking this is a different Emily]: Unemployment Benefits GUTTED, Working Class Left To FEND For Themselves

• Marleen July 1, 2021 / 1:09 pm

👍🏻 Excellent!

I was awakened with good news, after some not so good but water-under-the-bridge [passing health issue the person who was telling me went through] news delivered minutes before. I actually hooted like at a concert and yelled “halleluJah” and laughed and cried. Even did a little jig, but sitting up in bed.

• Fandango July 1, 2021 / 2:28 pm

I don’t know who this Clinton Herry person is, but I got half a dozen comments from him today, all of which said, “Hello there how are you doing today.” I think he’s a spammer.

• Marleen July 1, 2021 / 3:14 pm

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you’re right. But I am excellent and took the opportunity to say so. 😁

• Clinton Herry July 1, 2021 / 2:42 pm

Wow… that’s nice,where are you from

• Fandango July 1, 2021 / 4:58 pm

Are you a blogger or are you a spammer? You sent me a bunch of comments on my posts that all said, “Hello there how are you doing today.” And I noticed you sent that exact same message to others who commented on my post. So I’m inclined to believe you are a spammer.

3. bushboy June 13, 2021 / 5:50 pm

I have been following the pipeline for years and I for one am glad that common sense has prevailed.

4. Paula Light June 13, 2021 / 6:05 pm

Also the G-7 leaders, who didn’t have to deal with you know who…

Comments are closed.