Sunday Writing Prompt — Not My Circus

If you’re a hermit living in seclusion in a cave and are isolated from the rest of society, what I’m about to say doesn’t apply to you. For all of the rest of you, read on.

For this week’s Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Sunday Writing Prompt, Sara gives us a picture of the three iconic monkeys and the expression, “Not my circus, not my monkeys.”

But the reality is that it is our circus. We live in a world where each of us is affected, to one degree or another, by the actions, deeds, and words of others.

The symbolism of the three monkeys is that it depicts a lack of moral responsibility on the part of those who refuse to acknowledge impropriety, who look the other way, or who feign ignorance. Such people turn a blind eye to something that is legally, ethically, or morally wrong. These people see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil and pretend that they have not witnessed or are aware of wrongdoing, and, therefore, abdicate all responsibility for righting a wrong.

Today, those who exercise willful ignorance and cover their eyes, their ears, and their mouths and who are unwilling to see, hear, or speak the truth about Donald Trump’s Big Lie are the personification of the three monkeys in what is the circus of chaos that Trump has created and that they perpetuate.

Clearly almost all Republicans in the Congress of the United States of America, as well as GOP state and local elected representatives from around the country, have abdicated their responsibilities to uphold the U.S. Constitution and to act in the best interests of their constituents, the citizens of America.

And they are making monkeys out of the rest of us.

Photo credit: Pixabay.com

24 thoughts on “Sunday Writing Prompt — Not My Circus

1. Taswegian1957 June 6, 2021 / 3:29 pm

My mother, who was very fond of monkeys had a couple of these three monkey’s ornaments so I was familiar with them from an early age and learned “See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil”. But I never interpreted that way. I always thought it meant too look for good in others, not listen to gossip and not to badmouth others.

• Fandango June 6, 2021 / 7:23 pm

I think there are different interpretations of what the three monkeys are supposed to represent. Yours is much more optimistic.

2. Paula Light June 6, 2021 / 3:38 pm

I’m very worried that this “whatever” attitude that’s so prevalent is going to destroy our democracy. At least half of the eligible voters can’t be bothered to vote because… why? What the hell is so much more important? Even here in California, where it is SO EASY to vote, people shrug off their duty. Republicans are making it more difficult for people to vote in swing states, hoping to turn them blood red forever. It probably will happen because of the shrugging. I wonder if Biden will be our last Dem prez?

• Fandango June 6, 2021 / 7:26 pm

Biden and the Dems need to be more assertive before it’s too late to save democracy.

• Marilyn Armstrong June 6, 2021 / 8:03 pm

I don’t think any amount of assertion will change the numbers. Biden can’t force the GOP to behave like Americans. Only an OVERWHELMING loss at the polls MIGHT do it — and these days, I’m not even sure about that.

• Fandango June 6, 2021 / 8:43 pm

With how the Republicans are taking away voting rights, they may never again suffer an overwhelming loss.

• Marleen June 6, 2021 / 11:52 pm

They needs to be assertive or even aggressive — but at least assertive!

3. XingfuMama June 6, 2021 / 5:56 pm

Too true to be good. I’d add Manchin and Sinema to the GOP (they are not republicans because they do not believe the country belongs to the people). They are clearly closing their eyes to the evil of the GOP. They have lost sight of the fact that it is their job, and they are paid well above the going wage, to represent the people of their respective states not a party or philosophy.

• Fandango June 6, 2021 / 8:39 pm

Yes, you’re right about the two of them. 🙄

4. Sadje June 6, 2021 / 8:00 pm

Hear, hear! So well written Fandango. I totally agree with you

5. relaxitsallwrite June 6, 2021 / 9:15 pm

YES, Fandango! Fantastic take on the photo and prompt. I couldn’t agree with you more. An Ostrich, hiding their head in the sand, will ultimately get their big butt bit!

6. Marleen June 6, 2021 / 11:50 pm

I have another [a third from what I see] way of interpreting the three monkeys. And, then, somewhere in the back of my mind, I have a ditty about little monkeys jumping on “the bed” (each falling off and bumping a head).

You don’t take in evil from your ears or eyes, so you then don’t pass evil on for others (or even yourself) to carry through on. But I’ve appreciated reading other versions of the meaning. All instructive and illuminating.

7. Melanie B Cee June 7, 2021 / 8:55 am

I admire Vanda’s interpretation of the three monkeys a great deal. Especially the non-talking monkey, because to me also, that means not badmouthing others, gossiping, spreading lies as if they were truth (as that orange fathead continues to do), and the rest of the ugly spin a lot of folks put on being able to communicate. I don’t ‘see’ myself, because who functions at all if they’re so depressed by what they see and hear that they lose the point of seeing at all? I recently remarked to another blogger that it’s not that I don’t want to be informed (and tuck my sticking-out butt back in where it belongs), it’s that finding something worthy to listen to or to see is becoming impossible. Impotent rage? I know that feeling. What good does it do me? What good does it do anyone? It usually results only in violence. We’ve got more than enough of that thanks. I’m not contributing. I vote, even though in Utah I’m pissin’ in the wind for all the matter it makes. I speak up when motivated. That has to be enough.

8. Marleen June 7, 2021 / 10:15 pm

I see this relating to the the insistence that people not speak of what they see and hear, of what they know. I get it, because it usually is used to keep people hushed. The number of times, usually without the monkeys, that people are told not to “gossip” (when it means not to tell the truth so the liars can go on and lie), it’s too many.