First Line Friday — Reality Notwithstanding

“People see what makes sense to them, reality notwithstanding,” my wife said to me.

“But that’s just it,” I said. “None of it makes sense. How can it make sense to anyone?”

“He’s like Svengali to his supporters,” she said. “He has them under his spell and they believe his Big Lie.”

“And it doesn’t help that right-wing media outlets like Fox News continue to spew his lies,” I said, “How can entire community of seemingly ordinary people be bamboozled like that?”

“Well that’s the thing,” my wife said. “It’s not like he’s solely responsible. Republicans all across the country have enabled him and are buying into his whole kit and caboodle. It’s like they are stuck on some kind of funhouse carousel ride going round and round at dizzying speeds that makes them believe that he actually won the election and will be reinstated as president.”

“But that’s just not reality,” I insisted.

“I know, but as I said, people believe what they want to believe, even if it’s an alternate reality,” she said. “Just don’t allow yourself to be drawn into the fray.”

Written for the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie First Line Friday prompt, where the first line is “People see what makes sense to them, reality notwithstanding.” Also for these daily prompts: The Daily Spur (community), Word of the Day Challenge (ordinary), Your Daily Word Prompt (solely), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (kit), Ragtag Daily Prompt (carousel), and MMA Storytime (fray).

18 thoughts on “First Line Friday — Reality Notwithstanding

1. rugby843 June 4, 2021 / 11:22 am

How can we not be in the fray?  Our country depends on sane people!

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

2. newepicauthor June 4, 2021 / 11:29 am

I can visualize you and Mrs. Fandango having this conversation.

3. Marleen June 4, 2021 / 11:29 am

Fascinating photo — and great use of it.

4. Stephanie Colpron June 4, 2021 / 11:42 am

I’m not a US citizen but I must admit watching this with dread and fear. Democracy is such a fragile thing…
    While I understand the need to not get into the fray – discussing with idiot/bamboozled people is just frustrating and nail biting (I know I’ve tried) – at some point, one needs to, otherwise democracy and liberty die, not “with thunderous applause” but in silence and ignorance…

• Fandango June 4, 2021 / 1:36 pm

You’re absolutely right and we can’t allow that ignorance to take hold (if it’s not already too late) while we standby silently and let it happen.

• Stephanie Colpron June 4, 2021 / 9:50 pm

I’m a strong believer in a solid education system (maybe because my mom was a teacher 🤷‍♀️) as to me it’s the basis of democracy. Easy to set up a dictatorship when people aren’t educated enough to question policies…
        I’m also strongly against reality TV because it has no added value or educational purpose and in fact allows people to be complacent about their own mediocrity.
        Bread and games…
        I’m terrified of where we’re headed.

5. Paula Light June 4, 2021 / 12:01 pm

Bizarre to worship someone to that degree. I understand liking someone’s policies, but he has made mistakes like everyone else, and yet… they drool over him.

• Marleen June 4, 2021 / 12:17 pm

A “successful” man who embodies their own hypocrisies… with a brashness rather than their own sense of inner shame (and his, shame that is, except that he’s more of a sociopath who numbs the shame/a winner).

6. LoseWeightWithAng June 4, 2021 / 2:57 pm

People believe a lot of things that can’t be proven or disproven. But in the end, as long as it’s not hurting anyone, and it brings them some happiness, I don’t argue. Idolizing Trump is definitely something I would argue, though 😅

7. Carol anne June 4, 2021 / 3:49 pm

that is definitely true! people will believe anything, and he has them all brainwashed!

8. Sadje June 4, 2021 / 4:28 pm

It seems like a real conversation.

9. jilldennison June 4, 2021 / 9:32 pm

You did a damn fine job with this one! It’s a conversation that is totally believable.

10. leigha66 June 12, 2021 / 6:16 pm

Good take on the prompts. Stay away from the fray!

Comments are closed.