One-Liner Wednesday — Getting Old

“You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on your birthday cake. It’s like, ‘See if you can blow this out.’”

Jerry Seinfeld, American comedian

I’m pretty sure that when Jerry Seinfeld first said this it was before the COVID-19 pandemic. After all, who blows out the candles on their birthday cake and then passes out slices to their birthday party guests anymore? Um, thanks but no thanks.

Written for Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt.

8 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Getting Old

• Fandango May 26, 2021 / 11:29 am

Nope, it’s not my birthday, but if it were, I’d definitely have only one candle on the cake.

1. rugby843 May 26, 2021 / 9:31 am

I love Seinfeld, watch when I’m sad for a boost.  And no, no candle blowing here, we just don’t use candles anymore in cakes, weird after years of it.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

2. Marilyn Armstrong May 26, 2021 / 11:13 am

I think I’m still not fussy enough to worry about birthday cake, but I don’t like cakes with icing, so if it isn’t a cheese cake? But, if it IS a cheesecake, all bets are off.

3. Marleen May 26, 2021 / 11:49 am

At my second son’s recent birthday dinner, he found a candle in a single dessert he had chosen for himself while the rest of us chose whatever desserts we wanted. There used to be a sense that, even if you’d had dessert with a meal, there should be a “birthday cake” with candles (such as at the house later) or something was missing from the celebration. Anyway, there was a candle to blow out.

I kinda think the sense of seeing if they can blow it out could seem like a cruel joke in the context of people being affected in their breathing as a result of being infected — whether or not they are infected currently. As for me, I was fine after being infected; I got well. But I’ve had an annoying cough immediately subsequent to the second shot. I would be able to blow out a candle, though.

What to do for a first birthday party at home? When the child has not had a case of covid-19 (not that would’ve been noticeable), and the adults have been vaccinated. Some parents would want to continue on with the usual old tradition, because they can (and might think they should). We need to all rethink this, in my opinion. One or a few up to a point on a mini cake should always be fine.

I remember going to a party for someone I didn’t know who was about thirty. Once there, I found out he was recovering from a bout of hepatitis. I’d brought my two-year-old; don’t remember what was done about cake, do remember the guy seeming embarrassed but mindful to tell people. My son won a prize of a decorative horn. This guy blew into it, but put his hand around the mouth part.

Oh, great.

4. JT Twissel May 26, 2021 / 3:19 pm

Today is my birthday and no cake with candles for me. It would set the whole neighborhood ablaze.

5. leigha66 May 31, 2021 / 3:23 pm

Yeah, no more spreading germs on birthday cakes. Maybe you could fan the flames to put them out with a box lid or something?