Fandango’s Provocative Question #119

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

From the early days of our youth we are taught valuable lessons from our parents, grandparents, and other family members. As we grow, we learn from our teachers, our friends, our clergy, our spouses, our bosses, and maybe even from our own children.

So this weeks provocative questions asks you to look back at your life and ponder this question:

What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned in life and who did you learn it from?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

29 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #119

1. cagedunn May 26, 2021 / 3:02 am

Lesson: do it yourself, but ask for advice.
    Learned: the hard way.

2. cagedunn May 26, 2021 / 3:03 am

Lesson: profession is more than qualification.
    Learned: the heard way.

3. cagedunn May 26, 2021 / 3:04 am

Um, that should be ‘the hard way’ – or maybe I heard about it somewhere and then acted on it?

4. RebelliousStudent May 26, 2021 / 4:07 am

It was probably more a lesson from self-realisation; the only person who can really help you is yourself, i.e most of the time you need to rely on yourself and not on others. The lesson was essentially affirmed to me when we were even taught it in business, and I also picked it up from books.

• Marleen May 26, 2021 / 10:28 am

This isn’t about any chainsaw, but I was recently commenting on the fact that all dads (including my dad) used to have table saws (usually in the basement, in the Midwest); kinda nuts. It wasn’t too very nuts with me as the child, as I followed the rules (in this case, of not going into that part of the basement). Two things I remember my dad doing with that thing (which I don’t know if he bought or if it was a gift from, say, my mom’s dad): he made a nicely-finished octagon wood stand for an octagon-shaped aquarium; he built an extra bedroom, in another part of the basement (near the basement door to the outside in case of fire), for my mom’s twin to live in for a while after her divorce (while her two daughters lived in our third already-present bedroom upstairs). One of my cousins and I learned, then, about putting fine white sand in the ceiling paint in order to make swirls. (I’m pretty sure I’d already learned that from my dad, but this is how we tell the story.)

All of my sons used things like chainsaws while they were still growing up — but we didn’t have a table saw. I’m so glad they all survived intact, while the second oldest had something like twenty stitched in his scalp, one time, from…

> something about chainsaws, sort of, after all. That son ran into a bit of an apple tree where his dad had cut off some branches because of storm damage but hadn’t properly shaped the limbs smooth. Someone could’ve had an eye poked out.

5. rugby843 May 26, 2021 / 9:15 am

Just try to treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

6. kajmeister26 May 26, 2021 / 12:45 pm

My dad used to say: It doesn’t cost anything to be nice to people.

I’ve thought about that almost every day, especially this past year.