Share Your World — May 24th

Today is Monday and that means that Melanie has graced us with another edition of her Share Your World challenge. I decided, rather than trying to come up with pithy titles for my SYW posts, I’d follow Melanie’s lead and just add the date to the title. So away we go…

What are you most proud of in the last year?

Well, first that I, and no one I know in my family or my real world friends, contracted COVID-19. And second, that despite threatening numerous times over the past year to leave WordPress after they forced the block editor down our throats and because of bugs in the iOS app (for the iPhone) that remain unfixed, I’m still here.

If you see a puddle on the ground, do you walk around it or give in to the child within and splash about?

At my age, walking around them is my preferred way to deal with puddles. That said, we are suffering a severe drought where I live and I think, if I actual came across a puddle, I might be tempted to jump right in and splash in it.

Do you feel free? Why or why not?

That depends upon what you’re talking about. I do feel free to speak my mind (or to post whatever is on my mind). But I suppose there are some things that I don’t feel free to do because of the potential adverse consequences to what I might do if I felt entirely free to do whatever I wanted to do. I’ll leave it at that.

What life skills are rarely taught but are extremely useful?

How to manage one’s money. I remember one of my first supervisory jobs and I was asked by the head of “Personnel” (now known as “Human Resources”) to talk to an employee about her having written a bunch of bad checks. I called her into my office and had that discussion with her. As background, the company we worked for offered a “free checking account” as one of the employee benefits. Of course, what that meant was a “no-fees” checking account.

Anyway, when I called her into my office to ask her why she was bouncing checks, she was totally befuddled. “I can’t be bouncing checks,” she said. “We get free checking because we work at this company.” Apparently she believed that “free checking” meant that you could write as many checks as you wanted and it was all for free, including being free of having to have enough money in said checking account to cover the checks written.

After that incident, the company changed its nomenclature in the listing of employee benefits from “free checking account” to “no-fees checking account.”

This incident happened decades ago, and I use this as an example of the failure of our educational system to prepare students to function in the real world after they leave school. Maybe things have changed over the years, and students to do get exposure to the basics of money management these days. I certainly hope that is now the case.

What am I grateful for?

I am grateful that yesterday my wife and I were able to invite around a dozen and a half family and friends, all of whom were fully vaccinated, over to our place to celebrate our grandson’s first birthday.

22 thoughts on “Share Your World — May 24th

1. margaret21 May 24, 2021 / 1:33 pm

Happy birthday to your grandson! I’m seeing our young grandchildren for then first time in 9 months, but have yet to se the latest arrival, now over 4 months old. Covid has a lot to answer for
    😦

• Fandango May 24, 2021 / 1:37 pm

I know. For the first nine months of his life, we saw him mainly via Zoom!

2. rugby843 May 24, 2021 / 3:48 pm

Oh, happy birthday to him!🥳❤️

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

3. Sadje May 24, 2021 / 5:28 pm

Money matters should be included in school curriculum! HBD to your grandson Fandango.

4. Shweta Suresh May 24, 2021 / 7:10 pm

Money management is a very necessary skill indeed. Happy Birthday to your grandson!

5. Marilyn Armstrong May 24, 2021 / 8:08 pm

That’s why in mine I wrote “compound interest.” Not only do kids not understand money, their parents don’t understand it either. No one teaches us the realities of money or what credit cards can do to your life. I still don’t entirely understand compound interest. I mean, technically I understand it but I don’t understand how they can get away with it and actually be supported for doing it.

• Fandango May 24, 2021 / 10:24 pm

Compound interest is a killer. It’s legal usury.

6. Marleen May 24, 2021 / 10:09 pm

🍰

I only had fruit and no cake a time or two on a birthday. Here is a little of both.

7. Melanie B Cee May 25, 2021 / 10:17 am

Thanks, Fandango for Sharing Your World. It’s good to indulge our ‘inner child’ now and then, by being silly and splashing in a rain puddle or (if one is limber) jumping into a pile of Autumn leaves.. I think it reminds us of how young we were. I could splash a puddle, but jumping into leaves is far in my rearview now. I’d never get up again! Happy Birthday to your grandson, I’m am very glad you could get together and enjoy each other’s company like that! Finances are one life skill that educators ought to have offered to young people, particularly those getting ready to join society as young adults. You can really ruin your future by bad choices with money. Have a great week!

• Marleen May 25, 2021 / 12:29 pm

I did what I could to prepare my children in the area of money management. (I do mean I did this; their dad has been no help.) I did a fine job of it, too… except with my last one. He joined the army. I thought he would do fine money-wise, as his dad had been in the army and was aware of his son joining. This is our biggest failure. I should have told my son not to join. As for his father, he’s not good at being a father. We had a truly bizarre conversation in which he (the dad) was wondering what was going on with – – the son. The wondering was with a judgmental attitude. I kept trying to have a good-faith discussion, until the dad said that the people in the army always have trouble with money unless they stay put on base or are muckety-muck officers. I responded with, “Why didn’t you tell him that?”

Of course, he (the dad) couldn’t process this query.

That didn’t stop him from continuing on with the superiority question of what’s going on with – –

• Fandango May 25, 2021 / 4:55 pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my grandson. It was a very pleasant day.

8. Bulbul May 25, 2021 / 11:42 am

It somehow was soothing to know about your life, Fandango. I am happy to know that everyone is safe. Thank you for sharing.
    Cheers:)

9. J-Dub May 25, 2021 / 5:22 pm

Happy first birthday to your grandson birthday 🥳

10. leigha66 May 30, 2021 / 8:47 pm

I completely agree, some sort of adult finance class should be taught. Checkbook balancing, taxes, credit cards and what to look for, saving for retirement, etc.

Comments are closed.