Fixed — Well, Almost

For the past six months I’ve been trying to get WordPress to fix a bug that was introduced in November when WordPress launched version 16.0 of its iOS app for the iPhone. If I visited another blogger’s post, either from my reader or from a pingback to one of my prompts in my notifications, I was unable to like or comment on the post in question unless it had “.wordpress.com” in its URL (blog address). I couldn’t even like or comment on my own posts because my blog’s address is fivedotoh.com and not fivedotoh.wordpress.com.

Well, it appears that the fix is in. Well, kind of, anyway. As of today, when I attempt to like a post, this shows up on my iPhone’s screen:

I’m asked to log in to my WordPress account, which is weird because I’m already logged in to WordPress on the iOS app. But when tap on “Continue,” I am returned to the post in question and — hallelujah — I can like the post. Yay!

And sometimes I can leave a comment on the post, too. But for some reason, on some (but not all) posts, I will see this:

Again, I’m already logged in to WordPress, and I already came from the log in screen just to like the post, but when I tap on “You must be logged in to post a comment,” that same log in screen as shown previously appears, but when I tap on “Continue” and it takes me back to the post, the same “You must be logged in to post a comment” is still there and I can’t post a comment.

I am happy that the WordPress happiness engineers addressed the inability for me to like posts in the iOS app, although it has that extra step to do so. And while I can now also comment on some posts, I can’t on all posts.

So thank you, WordPress, for fixing the problem I’ve been bellyaching with you about for the past six months. Well, thank you your almost fixing it. There are still a few issue to be resolved.

17 thoughts on “Fixed — Well, Almost

1. J-Dub May 19, 2021 / 12:18 pm

Mine still isn’t working. I’ve been getting the continue screen above for some time now. I click continue and nothing happens. But it should not block me anyway. I too am already logged in like you. Hope those happiness engineers keep going for a true fix.

2. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing May 19, 2021 / 12:36 pm

I get all of the above mentioned and go through all the rigamarole of logging in etc. etc, I write my comment, sometimes more than a few words and then hit the send button, only to be told the comment cannot be posted. Or, it says it is a duplicate comment. When I check, an original post isn’t even there so what the heck is it duplicating. In some cases it shows up on another’s blog as someone “Anonymous” instead of me. I could tear my hair out. I get it whenever I use the App. which is really quite worthless. 😡

3. lifelessons May 19, 2021 / 1:03 pm

I occasionally have this problem but it passes.. irritating. You have such patience.

4. rugby843 May 19, 2021 / 2:52 pm

Same here.  Finally I don’t have to refill one or resign in!🙄

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

5. Marilyn Armstrong May 19, 2021 / 4:31 pm

Do you get double or triple comments — or none? I get duplicate comments from other people and from myself to myself and on other people’s sites. They have a lot of glitches. it works. When it works. If it works. Most of the time. Usually.

• Fandango May 19, 2021 / 8:12 pm

I think they spend too much time coming up with new, whiz bang gestures that few people want or need and not enough time making sure the fundamentals are working properly.

6. SelmaMartin May 19, 2021 / 10:35 pm

Oh goodness. This is a thing! I’ve had that problem for always. On my phone. Always. Yes, I have ios on phone but explaining the steps like you just did has opened my eyes — I have a problem.
    Instead of working with wordpress engineers who, by the way are amazing humans, I’ve been doing what needs to be done on my desktop. That’s another reason why sometimes it takes me a while to like and comment. Cannot from my phone.
    Thanks for this post, Fandango. I’ll keep reading to hear you got it fixed at last. All the best, my friend.
    (I want to write blogs and publish from my phone too– one day)

7. Carol anne May 21, 2021 / 4:33 am

I get that you must be logged in thing too sometimes, only on a few blogs though, maybe its some setting in those blogs that the bloggers have turned on?