Checking In

I usually check my spam and trash comments daily. First, I want to make sure that some legit comments didn’t inadvertently get swept up into my spam folder or bypassed spam and went directly to trash. And second, because I’m anal and I want to keep my blog neat and tidy, free of spam and trash.

But I somehow missed doing my spam/trash cleanup yesterday and when I went to tidy up today, this is what I found:

Between spam and trash, there were 129 bogus comments in 24 hours. And within 30 minutes of taking the above screenshots, I received three more comments in my spam folder and one more in trash. Do these spammers really think they’re fooling anyone when they say something like “You guys are doing a great job.” What guys? Anyone who has read my blog knows that I’m a sole practitioner.

Or how about “My bother found your weblog on MSN and strongly recommend it to me.” My weblog? Really? On MSN? Seriously?

And then there are the spammers who ask what blogging platform I use, if I created my own theme, or if I have trouble with spammers.

Oh well, while annoying, these spammers are, so far anyway, harmless. I just need to remember to check my spam at least daily so I don’t end up with spam and trash by the hundreds.

How often to you check and clean out your spam and/or trash folders?

29 thoughts on “Checking In

1. Jen Goldie May 15, 2021 / 4:59 pm

Knock on wood. I rarely get any Spam. Maybe it’s because I don’t have that many followers? I used to get some..but not now. I dunno

• Fandango May 15, 2021 / 8:53 pm

Some days I get very few, but other days I get a boatload of spam comments.

• Jen Goldie May 15, 2021 / 9:05 pm

Strange. Don’t you have the spam blocker. I didn’t install it as I recall it was automatic.

• Fandango May 15, 2021 / 9:57 pm

Yes, WordPress has Akismet, which does a very good job of catching probably 90+% of spam comments and depositing them into my spam folder rather than publishing them as comments on my posts. And that’s where those 97 spam comments were. But I do check my spam folder daily (most days, anyway) because every once in a while, a legitimate comment gets sent into the spam folder and I need to manually approve those.

2. newepicauthor May 15, 2021 / 5:01 pm

I had a serial Post and Comment liker today ask me to be his friend and to help him with his video, which is not going to happen.

3. Renard Moreau May 15, 2021 / 6:14 pm

😯 Wow! Ninety-seven spam messages; that is a lot!

I am in the habit of checking for spam (or comments that were wrongfully placed in spam) approximately every six hours (The same thing applies to my trash folders).

4. Mister Bump UK May 15, 2021 / 11:48 pm

About once a week. Comments identified as spam are maybe up to 2, but usually 0. Usually, WP has misidentified them, and I end up approving them manually.

I get a lot more feedback because of my contact form. Maybe 12-15 per week. WP always identified them correctly and so it is just a case of scrolling down and hitting “empty”. Ideally, I’d block all those emails but (a) I’m not bothered enough to do that and (b) the “block” function appears to work only for comments, not for form submissions.

But, here is a funny. New followers arrive at my blog slowly enough for me to notice. The last few times I looked, the most recent followers are all clones! All the same photo. Doesn’t bother me but equally I take these “milestones” that WP sends out with a pinch of salt. Sorry, long comment. You did ask.

• Fandango May 16, 2021 / 6:51 am

Interesting. When I go to that link to “Users,” there’s only one, and it’s me. How many “Users” do you have?

• Fandango May 16, 2021 / 9:00 am

500 users? Other than me, my blog has zero users.

• Mister Bump UK May 16, 2021 / 9:08 am

This is the Stats page, top right corner. If says Followers: 537 and if I hit that, it ooks like I see a page which scrolls to show all 537. Not conna count but I see your name one of the first.

• Fandango May 16, 2021 / 9:40 am

Okay, that’s followers. Users is something else.

• Fandango May 16, 2021 / 6:46 am

Thanks for answering. I don’t think I’ve seen “clone” followers yet. At least not that I’ve noticed.

5. Taswegian1957 May 16, 2021 / 1:10 am

I probably don’t check mine often enough. Whenever I do it’s all obvious junk, rarely a legit comment.

6. Carol anne May 16, 2021 / 2:15 am

well, I havent done it in a while, so best get to it! Hoping there arent lots of spam comments for me to trash!

• Fandango May 16, 2021 / 8:41 am

Ha! Yes, under “Comments.”

7. pensitivity101 May 16, 2021 / 6:58 am

I clear mine every day, and the most I had was about 20 I think, practically all from the same person if I remember correctly. I’ve given up deleting ‘followers’ on a daily basis as they just bounce back, but I’ve noticed the same picture on several. You log onto their ‘site’ and it doesn’t exist, or says welcome to your new site! I’ve also got one that seems to sign up to follow me every other day.
    I find it amusing when someone says my blog is identical to theirs. My header is my own picture and I’m sure they don’t do a Three Things Challenge, which according to other spammers is very useful and informative, and I’m to keep up the good work!

8. Melanie B Cee May 16, 2021 / 7:03 am

I only check when I remember to look. Mostly I find legitimate bloggers have ended up in there, people I know who follow me or whom I follow. I have had one or two ‘black listed’ pop up, which proves that the black list/block option actually works. It’s annoying though when ‘real’ comments get eighty-sixed like that. Speaking of which, I need to go look now. I didn’t check today! 😉

9. Jay May 16, 2021 / 12:27 pm

Ha, I check it whenever I remember to, or when I get a new comment and have the time. I do get a lot of comments on how great my blog is, and lots of offers on enlarging my (non existent) package and curing my (also non existent) baldness. I’m very grateful for their kindness towards me and concern for my health, naturally. 😀

• Fandango May 16, 2021 / 1:17 pm

Hmm, could you pass some of those cures for baldness my way? 😉

• Jay May 16, 2021 / 5:20 pm

Sure, I’ll be happy to! I’ll send those lovely and generous people your way! 😉

10. Amita August 7, 2021 / 3:12 pm

M new in this, thanks to you I got know spams are here too, from now on I will keep it eye on that..

Comments are closed.