Sunday Writing Prompt — A Beautiful Mistake

We had decided to wait. We’d been dating for two years, living together for a year, and had finally gotten married. But neither of us wanted to rush into parenthood. We were both working, establishing ourselves in our respective careers, and we were still getting used to the idea of being a married couple.

Then, just a month after the wedding, she told me she was late. By a week. Then two weeks. She got the pee-on pregnancy test thing and, sure enough, she was pregnant.

We were always careful. She wasn’t on the pill for health reasons, and I was not big on condoms, so I made sure to pull out right before. Well, except for that one night. I made a mistake. And that was all it took.

We debated a course of action, but in the end, we decided to face the consequences of my mistake. Nearly eight months later, our daughter was born. And she was beautiful.

This post about what was an accidental pregnancy that turned out to be a wonderfully happy accident, was written for yesterday’s Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Sunday Writing Prompt. And yes, I know that today is Monday, but yesterday was Mother’s Day and we were celebrating that day with our daughter, our beautiful mistake.

23 thoughts on “Sunday Writing Prompt — A Beautiful Mistake

1. relaxitsallwrite May 10, 2021 / 12:28 pm

LOVE this, Fandango!! I met a man in March (2018), he moved into my place in May. I travelled Iceland for all of June, and we became pregnant upon my return in July. COMPLETELY unexpected as I had health issues where docs told me I would never be able to have a baby without medical intervention. We now have two BEAUTIFUL MISTAKES 🙂

2. Marleen May 10, 2021 / 7:35 pm

It’s great that you got to spend time with your daughter, yesterday. 😃

3. Stephanie Colpron May 15, 2021 / 2:02 pm

It’s funny; I wasn’t going to comment because I don’t like to be a killer joy 😜.
    I find the story beautiful but even now I do have 2 medical miracles of my own I can’t help thinking of the pain it always is to hear people saying “oh it wasn’t planned, it just happened.” I know it never comes from a place of indifference but it can sound a bit callous. Mostly because people don’t know – we don’t usually advertise the pain, the struggle, the trauma, the guilt… and even when we are happy for the expecting couple, it always comes with either a twinge of envy or pain. Sometimes both. I must admit for me, at least on one occasion, it was anger.

Yesterday was mother’s day (in France it’s later this month), and I always think of the women who want to be mothers but can’t, who were (or were to be) mothers and lost their precious little one…
    So yeah, lovely story but bittersweet as well.
    Sorry I should maybe have refrained from posting after all ☺️.

• Marleen May 15, 2021 / 4:59 pm

These topics can be difficult all around. My mother thinks she’s being funny to say things along the lines that I didn’t know how “things” work,* and, so, that’s why I have five children: “Oh, I have no idea how that happened,” she whines, as if speaking for me. Maybe I could have more patience for her bizarre attitude if she hadn’t basically harassed me the whole time I was thick in the work of being a mother.

I think the real key is to welcome children into our families or the world generally. Each of our experiences on the biological side are valid and what we really went through. I used to get annoyed with people, like complete or near strangers, who would ask if I was trying for a girl (I have all boys). But I stopped being bothered and decided to simply answer the fact of the matter, that I actually was wanting a large family. (It so happens that I was the only child of my parents, but that didn’t mean what people often assume that means. I wasn’t “spoiled” as everything centered around my self-absorbed mother [who got herself pregnant to marry my dad and then divorced him when I was approximately twelve]).

* This is even “funnier” when you consider that she signed me out of the requirement to participate in sex education at my religious schools on more than one occasion. I could go on and on about this. But I will share that she said, decades later, that she “found out” the subject matter was the same at my Lutheran schools as with the public school system in which she worked — such that there was “no reason” to keep me out of the coursework. This coming from a woman who called herself a conservative and presented herself as anti-feminist. Yes; none of this adds up. (Thankfully, two things happened such that I wasn’t an ignoramus in this area. For one, I asked my dad some questions. I don’t remember how it came up, but he answered with reality. Secondly, I think my mom missed the take-home notice once or twice; I was exposed to the curriculum. There was a relatively minor factoid of anatomy that I hadn’t learned, isn’t a main point of such sessions, and would more likely have been something I’d heard had she never banned me from the learning. But she literally shamed me when I told her I had figured it out — shamed me for not already having known, even though there was no harm whatsoever.)

There’s always somebody to see things differently from how we do. Why aren’t you on the pill? You shouldn’t be on the pill. Why don’t you have your baby on a bottle? Why do you have your baby on a bottle? Put your kid on a bus to school and free yourself to be hot to trot earlier in the day (when I was taking none of her “tips” any time of the day to snag a new man). Whatever. If we’re parenting for the right reasons, let other people be happy that they get or got to be parents.

Congratulations on having two children and not needing to be content with [or, worse, being resentful about] one.

When I had my first child, I was living in California. The first time I came to visit my mother (in the city where I came from in the Midwest) with my child, I called from one room to the next inside, “Mom?” For what, I don’t recall. But, unbeknownst to me, there was someone in the area in whom she was sexually interested; she told me to shut up. She didn’t want to take the chance on someone overhearing a twenty-four-year-old with a baby call her a mother. I should’ve walked out of her home and never looked back. But now she wants credit for the things I’ve done. She even converted to Catholicism at appropriately eighty so she could tell herself she’s holier than thou (while continuing to say the same or similar stupid things). Oh, the kicker is she has talked, on more than one occasion, like I should have more children now. You have more children now, YMCA hole [you might’ve “had to be there” to get this reference]. She’s a lost soul.

And none of this should’ve been sparked because of a lovely man sharing happy memories.

• Stephanie Colpron May 15, 2021 / 9:36 pm

I am so sorry about your experience with your mother. I definitely wasn’t trying to trigger anything so negative or painful. I can’t even begin to understand because – however imperfect she may be – I’ve always had a wonderful relationship with my mom.
        Thank you for sharing your experience. I guess I relate to the “are you going for a girl?” in the reverse: “why don’t you have kids already? You’re not getting any younger” type of comments. Either can be extremely painful and both are mean.

I think you’re right; it’s about what you (and your partner when there is one) want. I’m also very much for the idea of letting people be. We can never truly know what’s happening because we haven’t had the same life experience.
        Unfortunately today the saying “it takes a village” has become a sham: it’s a judgment game instead of a true raising a child together and supporting each other endeavor. 🤷‍♀️😢 Or even a competition.
        I hope you won’t mind if I send you virtual hugs. No one should be belittled by those who are supposed to make them stand tall.

• Fandango May 15, 2021 / 6:42 pm

Hi Stephanie. Thank you for your comment. There are women, couples, and families all over the world who desire to have children but, for whatever reason are unable to. There are also those who had plans about the timing and circumstances of their children but whose plans are cast aside by something unexpected, such as what my wife and I experienced. My post was not directed toward anyone else’s situations and/or experiences. And it was certainly not intended to trigger negative or painful feelings in others. My intension was merely to relate, as the prompt suggested, a personal experience that my wife and I came to consider to be a beautiful accident. I’m truly sorry if my post caused you any pain or guilt.

• Stephanie Colpron May 15, 2021 / 10:09 pm

I know your post came from a place of love and happiness and that is why I hesitated commenting.
        It mostly triggered some thoughts and musings; trying to verbalize those as late at night as it was might not have been the best idea (especially for a sleep deprived mom 😂)… maybe I should have kept that to myself but well…

After all, life happens… and sometimes the best laid plans go out the window. Don’t we all know that?
        And someone’s happiness cannot be suppressed because of someone else’s pain, which more often than not isn’t known or shared.

The irony isn’t lost on me that the first short I wrote for the prompt was on this particular theme, though the events that led to that short story were co-written some 17 years ago long before I imagined I would ever want to be a mom. 🤷‍♀️ Still…

It is a beautiful accident… and one that has long lasting happy repercussions. I’m very happy for you that you got to spend Mother’s Day with your daughter.

• Stephanie Colpron May 15, 2021 / 10:12 pm

I was tired indeed – instead of writing “last Sunday was Mother’s day” I wrote “yesterday” (in reference I think to your mentioning of being with your daughter on the day) 🤦🏼‍♀️