TMP — The Down Side of Streaming

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. My peeve today is not so much about something that pisses me off as it is about something that surprised me.

Back in late March I decided to “cut the cord” with my cable TV provider. I switched to streaming using a Roku Streaming Stick and streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Prime TV, HBO Max, etc. It was a lot cheaper than it was to pay for the cable TV package from Comcast/Xfinity. The monthly cost would be less than half about of what my cable TV bill was running.

Of course, I still needed an internet service provider (ISP) and because the only game in town is Comcast/Xfinity, I must use that for internet access.

Here’s the rub. I found out that my internet plan “limits” me to 1229 gigabytes of data per month, a fact I wasn’t aware of before I started streaming instead of using cable. It was never an issue. But then I received this email on April 29th: What? Holy shit. That’s a lot of data usage. And the only thing I can attribute it to is the switch from cable TV to streaming TV.

I checked the status of my account this morning and saw this:My first thought was “Phew, I came in just under the wire in April.” My second thought was that I used 64 gigabytes of data in just the first two days of May. And that was over a weekend when I watch much less TV than I do during the week. At this rate, I’m going to have an overage in May.

Okay then. I guess the lesson here is to turn off the goddam TV and read more books. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

19 thoughts on “TMP — The Down Side of Streaming

1. Lou Carreras May 3, 2021 / 10:59 am

I run an access TV station in a community served by Comcast and have a history in video that dates back to the mid ’80’s when I was a stringer for Comcast’s corporate ancestors. The small city I live in has Fios and Comcast. I have flatly refused to have Comcast inside my house. In the ’80’s a General manager, I knew stated that customer dissatisfaction was the industry’s largest problem. People who I knew back then that have parted ways with them in recent years say that nothing has changed. The left hand does not know what the right is doing – ever.

2. pensitivity101 May 3, 2021 / 11:58 am

I remember years ago a neighbour being so pleased he’d found a cheap broadband package and tried to get us to sign on. We were happy with our current provider, but listened to what he had to say.
    Two days later he was fuming because he hadn’t realised he had limited access, and had used his full month’s quota in 2 days. What was worse was that he was signed in to an eighteen month contract.
    I guess it’s a learning curve and seeing where your usage actually goes and when. Good luck.

3. Marilyn Armstrong May 3, 2021 / 12:21 pm

Do you have the option of getting a different ISP? We don’t, so we’ve got Charter — which is highly defective AND very expensive and no choice unless we could use Direct TV. We can’t use satellite because there are a lot of oak trees in the way, so it’s Charter or nothing. We could use the telephone service, but it doesn’t come down this road — not enough people on the road to make it worth their while to run a cable. Soooo … however wildly expensive cable is, that’s what we’ve got. Until it becomes a utility and there’s some control over prices, we’re stuck with it.

• Fandango May 3, 2021 / 1:32 pm

When I lived in San Francisco there were options, but since moving to the burbs, Comcast is all that’s available in my town.

4. Sadje May 3, 2021 / 1:57 pm

There’s always a catch somewhere!

5. Marleen May 3, 2021 / 2:13 pm

That would be so frustrating. (I’m thankful I don’t have to deal with that. The worst thing I have going on is that the Hulu aspect {bingo on using a fandango word prompt} — one small part of all the things I stream — requires me to put up with [mostly stupid] commercials.)

• Marleen May 3, 2021 / 7:16 pm

Oh, I also see commercials when I watch the kind of YouTube videos I often share. I’m sure some people pay so they don’t have to see commercials. I think there’s a way to decrease the commercials by signing up with an email address; this would also allow commenting or even just liking videos. But the signing up never seems to work.

6. Taswegian1957 May 3, 2021 / 6:18 pm

It’s certainly a subject that requires careful study and the ability to shop around which unfortunately you don’t seem to have.
    I “cut the cable” some time ago. I used to have Foxtel, the only cable service available through my ISP but I barely watched it and decided to get rid of it to save money. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime if I want to watch TV shows and movies. It’s only live sport that I can’t get and I only care about that in summer when I like to watch cricket. I can get a package on a month by month basis that covers that. I can live without it. The $75 a month I pay my ISP covers my internet and phone and seems enough for my needs. I guess I don’t really watch much TV.

• Taswegian1957 May 4, 2021 / 1:21 am

I never run out of data but the ISP has been giving me a larger and larger allowance. It’s currently at 500GB and with 4 days to go this month I haven’t even used 100GB.

• Taswegian1957 May 4, 2021 / 1:22 am

On the other hand their mobile phone plans are outrageous. I barely use my mobile so when they wanted to up my $30 a month account to $ 50 I quit and got a prepaid.

7. Melanie B Cee May 4, 2021 / 7:29 am

That’s horrible, BUT I can’t say I’m terribly surprised. Comcast (which used to fly under another name) crapped on my shoes one too many times back in the early 90s and I refuse to have them as providers. The same with DirecTv and Dish. Those are the three up here. I got sick of the continual snafus and the increase in prices for things they couldn’t explain (fees, line charges, etc) auugghh. So I cut the cord in May of 2019 and I haven’t been sorry. But you might have explained to me why my stream is cruddy sometimes. I’m supposed to have unlimited access and it is fiber optic cable so it’s supposed to be fast and problem-free. Phooey. I think any of that stuff comes with built-in frustration and hidden fees and so forth. Pays to read the really fine print I guess! I hope you are able to solve your issue without too much more fuss!

• Fandango May 4, 2021 / 9:52 pm

Thanks, Melanie. I hope so too.

8. leigha66 May 10, 2021 / 2:22 pm

I had a friend visiting and they liked to stream Youtube and Netflicks that month I about went over on data but have never come close since then. Streaming uses a lot. Hope you get it down a little… overages add up fast!

Comments are closed.