Friday Fictioneers — Another Direct Hit

“This is like a bad dream,” Max said as he surveyed the damage, “a goddam recurring dream.”

“More like a recurring nightmare,” Peg said. “This is the third time just this season.”

“Yes, and the season isn’t even over yet,” Max said.“Honestly, Peg, I think we need to consider selling the place. It’s not worth the aggravation.”

“Well, I’m the one who convinced you to move to Florida,” Peg said, “but I think you’re right.”

“I knew going in that Florida is prone to hurricanes,” Max said, “but I didn’t think they’d always take a direct hit on our house.”

(100 words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ Friday Fictioneers prompt. Photo credit: Dale Rogerson.

21 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Another Direct Hit

1. Mason Bushell April 30, 2021 / 8:36 am

Sometimes bad weather seems magnetised to the exact spot you’re standing on doesn’t it! Good story!

2. newepicauthor April 30, 2021 / 9:01 am

I have been living in Florida for ten years and I have not seen an alligator yet and the worst storm damage I had was losing the power for a few hours.

3. James McEwan April 30, 2021 / 11:30 am

They say that bad luck strikes in threes, give it another go, I say. Who will buy the place in any case?
    A story that is based on true events these days.

4. neilmacdon April 30, 2021 / 12:54 pm

Science would say that two hits is a coincidence. The chances of a third are vanishingly small

5. msjadeli May 1, 2021 / 7:05 pm

I fear that in a matter of years most coastal areas will be under water. Better to sell now and head for high land.

• Fandango May 1, 2021 / 11:16 pm

Yep. Maybe when I moved from sea level in San Francisco to about 1,000 ft. elevation in the East Bay I was being prescient. 😉

6. Brenda's Thoughts May 3, 2021 / 2:06 pm

Great dialogue. I felt their understandable angst and frustration at what appears a deliberate attack by nature. Well done!

7. leigha66 May 6, 2021 / 7:44 pm

That sounds like more than a bit of bad luck. Hope they can sell.