Y is for “Yellowstone”

“Yellowstone” is an American drama series created by Taylor Sheridan and John Linson. It premiered on June 20, 2018, on the Paramount Network.Kevin Costner stars as John Dutton, a sixth-generation patriarch of the Dutton family, which operates the Yellowstone/Dutton Ranch, the largest contiguous ranch in the United States. Wes Bentley plays Jamie Dutton, John’s oldest son, an attorney, and an aspiring politician. Although completely loyal to his father and family, he is constantly frustrated by their apparent intolerance of him. Jamie has an intense love/hate relationship with his sister Beth, who is played by Kelly Reilly. Beth is John’s daughter and a financier. Although well educated, highly intelligent, and a master manipulator, Beth is bitter, emotionally unstable, and suffers from a substance abuse problem.

Kayce Dutton, John’s youngest son, is played by Luke Grimes. He is  a former Navy SEAL. He initially lived on the local Native American reservation with his Native American wife (Kelsey Asbille) and son, but in the second season, he and his family moved to live at the Dutton Ranch.

Cole Hauser plays Rip Wheeler, the ranch foreman and John’s right-hand man and enforcer. Rip is fiercely loyal to John after being taken in by Dutton as a young runaway. He and Beth have and an on-again, off-again romantic/sexual relationship.

Rounding out the ensemble cast is Gil Birmingham, who plays Chief Thomas Rainwater, the nearby Native American tribal chief. He seeks to reclaim the Yellowstone ranch from John and his family, land that he considers stolen from the Native Americans who originally inhabited it.

The series follows the Dutton family, led by John Dutton, whose ranch is constantly under constant attack by those it borders — land developers, an Indian reservation, and America’s first National Park. It is an intense study of a violent world far from media scrutiny, where land grabs make developers billions, and politicians are bought and sold by the world’s largest oil and lumber corporations. Where drinking water poisoned by fracking wells and unsolved murders are not news: they are a consequence of living in the new frontier. It is the best and worst of America seen through the eyes of a family that represents both.

This soap-opera-ish, contemporary western drama is well acted and intense, with a lot of violence. But it’s quite an addictive and compelling TV show. Unfortunately, since it doesn’t air on a traditional broadcast network or on a cable network, it is only available to those who currently stream on NBC’s streaming service, Peacock, if you have Peacock Premium or Peacock Premium Plus.

Previous BATZAP 2021 posts: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X

21 thoughts on “Y is for “Yellowstone”

1. Sadje April 29, 2021 / 6:15 am

I have written about the Yellowstone park!

2. rugby843 April 29, 2021 / 7:11 am

I’ve loved this series mostly because of the beauty of the scenery.

• msjadeli April 29, 2021 / 8:58 pm

My library has it, yay! I have put in for season 1.

• Fandango April 29, 2021 / 10:22 pm

I hope you enjoy it. It can get a bit violent.

3. Iain Kelly April 29, 2021 / 11:01 am

Not even heard of this one, but sounds like something I would enjoy. Highlights a problem with all the streaming channels around today – impossible to have them all and keep across them all.

THE STATE TRILOGY A-Z GUIDE: Y

4. Marleen April 29, 2021 / 9:11 pm

I was going to say I hadn’t even heard of this, but I think I’ve seen bits of previews that I’ve pretty much skipped over to get on with the show I’ve been tuning in to watch whenever it was popping up. It sounds more complex than it appears on the promotions. Perhaps I will watch. It might depend upon how heavy the soap opera ambiance comes across. I generally avoid those, but I have watched a season of something for which I said, from time to time, that there were hints of soap opera.

5. Carol anne May 2, 2021 / 12:44 am

We don’t get peacock here in Ireland, so I cant watch it, but it does sound like a good show!

6. Vidya Tiru May 5, 2021 / 10:26 am

I had not heard about this show at all; but the premise and the fact it has Costner tempts me. We do have Peacock (but not sure which version) so I am going to look for it..
    Lady In Read Writes

7. leigha66 May 5, 2021 / 7:21 pm

I have seen ads for it, but don’t have Peacock at all. Somedays I really miss the old days of just a handful of channels to watch so you often didn’t miss much. Now a days it is so many different cable, premium and streaming platforms there is no way to keep up with them all!

• Fandango May 5, 2021 / 10:49 pm

Yeah that is true. And to subscribe to all of them would be too damn expensive.

• Fandango May 11, 2021 / 1:39 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying “Yellowstone.”

Comments are closed.