Fandango’s Provocative Question #25 Revisited

FPQDuring the month of April, in addition to my regular topical posts as well as my prompt posts, I will be participating in the 2021 A to Z Challenge. I will post my A to Z post daily at 6 a.m. my time (Pacific). During this month, I will be revisiting four of my Provocative Question posts, which will be published on the four Wednesdays in April at 3:00 a.m. my time. If you didn’t respond to the original provocative question post, or would like to post a new response, please feel free to do so. Or you can read the responses of other bloggers who did post responses to the original. Anyway, here goes:

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

Today I am borrowing my provocative question from Ursula at An Upturned Soul. In a recent post she indicated that one sign of “existential intelligence” is that you “regularly wonder what happens to us after death as well as where we were before we were born.”

I’m not sure I even understand what “existential intelligence” is, but I do have a position on where we were before we were born (nowhere, we didn’t exist) and what happens to us after death (poof, we’re gone and no longer exist). I guess that’s not very existential of me. Oh well.

But I thought it would be fascinating to find out what all of you think.

So today’s provocative question is all about the before and after:

“Where do you believe you were you before you were born and what do you believe will happen to you after you die?”

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

And most important, have fun.

13 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #25 Revisited

1. Paula Light April 28, 2021 / 5:43 am

Same as you. It’s hard to think about sometimes and dents the ego, which is why imo so many fantasies are conjured up to distract from the cold reality…

2. Taswegian1957 April 28, 2021 / 5:53 am

I have never thought about where I was before I was born. I do wonder about what happens at the end. I am not religious so I don’t think about that all that much. I hope there is no reincarnation because I don’t think I want to come back particularly. I do have trouble imagining the absence of existence though.

3. Marilyn Armstrong April 28, 2021 / 1:10 pm

I started out to slightly rewrite my original post and then completely rewrote it. It really doesn’t say anything different, but it says it differently. And the pictures are new.

4. Marleen April 30, 2021 / 1:06 pm

(No matter what anyone says.) ✅

5. Marleen April 30, 2021 / 1:43 pm

Here’s kind of a light-hearted and serious (at the same time) look at where I “am” lately in response to this topic. Does “am” mean my feelings or perceptions (of facts and reality here in earth)? Both. A little of what is in the video is more specific to the U.K. right now and not as much the U.S. yet. But, effectively, the same technical things are happening. It appears to me that whether I leave this life or stay (no matter how long I or anyone else live), we will be data and recordings and manipulatable fields. I’m concerned that such a field for the person who is gone won’t be much different from that for the person who is still here. Really, I do believe in a future after death; I’m not a hundred percent sure of whether it waits until there is a new earth or if there is something nebulous in the interim first (or only). I’m not very worried about that. What I’m saying is that this world is looking less hopeful even while there are some more progressive outlooks recently. I think it might be too late. We have prioritized the rich or neoliberalism, which is really so-called conservatism (and weaponized that even if we didn’t know it). Thus, our newest technologies are being used for dehumanization and evil. Musk says A.I. is a great threat — as in, just a warning, here I come. (I don’t mean that to single him out. It’s an example. Absolutely everything is going to be commoditized and withheld to include our very breath). I don’t know. A picture of the time I was saving my three middle children [as my husband stood idly by] from the tide of the ocean comes to mind in my contemplation. In the midst of it, I didn’t know for sure if I would succeed; I hope the generation of all of my children will be able to overcome.

… You’ve been RECORDED

• Marleen May 1, 2021 / 10:46 am

Bill Gates and Farming — WHAT’S GOING ON?

• Marleen May 1, 2021 / 11:22 am