Taking Responsibility

“You are so stubborn,” Vicky said, sitting across the kitchen table from her boyfriend. “How can you expect anyone to be sympathetic toward you with an attitude like that?”

Ken pounded his fist on the table, causing coffee to spill from both of their cups. “Talking with you, Vicky,” he said, “can be so monotonous. You are such a drama queen, and you have no zest for your God-given freedoms as an American anymore.”

“What a bunch of drivel,” Ken,” Vicky said. “It’s because of my zest for freedom and for life that I am insisting that you get vaccinated. You need to step up and start acting like an adult and shoulder some responsibility, if not for your own health, but for the health and possibly the lives of your friends and family.”

“This is not my fault,” Ken protested. “These vaccines have not been thoroughly tested and it could turn out to be a case where the cure is worse than the disease. But of course, it’s inevitable that you would take their side over mine.”

“The only side I’m taking,” Vicky insisted, “is science and common sense over conspiracy theories. And If you don’t agree to get vaccinated with all deliberate speed, you’re going to spending your adult life without me on, or by, your side.”

Written for these daily prompts: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (sympathetic/monotonous), MMA Storytime (attitude/zest), The Daily Spur (queen/shoulder), Your Daily Word Prompt (drivel), Ragtag Daily Prompt (inevitable), and Word of the Day Challenge (speed).

10 thoughts on “Taking Responsibility

1. newepicauthor April 23, 2021 / 4:53 pm

Vicky doesn’t need that pigheaded Ken, she should dump him now.

2. leigha66 April 28, 2021 / 9:08 pm

This conversation is happening in too many households I fear.

3. Marleen May 5, 2021 / 1:41 pm

For the record, five days after my second Pfizer shot… I’m still having reactionary symptoms. I would describe them as being like having covid-19 (like when I was actually infected in March of 2020 but not in an extreme version requiring hospitalization). Quite unpleasant. I didn’t have a test, then, but this is more confirmation that it was that. At that time, one of my sons went for a test (because he had symptoms) and was told (rather than being given a test) to come back “when” he was “on your deathbed.”

I hope I don’t end up with what they’re calling “Long Covid.”

• Marleen May 5, 2021 / 7:48 pm

Typed in: … like having covid-19 (like when I was actually infected in March of 2020 but not in an extreme version requiring hospitalization). Quite unpleasant. …

Better presentation: … like having covid-19 (like when I was actually infected in March of 2020), yet not in an extreme version requiring hospitalization. Quite ….

I wasn’t anywhere near needing to be hospitalized; am not now, either. But I’m not up to par. They do say you’re not set until two weeks after 🤞 … or 🧘‍♀️

• Fandango May 5, 2021 / 10:21 pm

Yikes, I hope not also.

4. Marleen May 14, 2021 / 4:40 am

At 56:50, the last segment of this David Pakman video concerns “mixed-status” relationships or socializing. It’s not “deep” but represents a new consideration. From May 11, ‘21

Comments are closed.