T is for “Taxi”

“Taxi” was an American ensemble sitcom that originally aired on ABC from September 12, 1978 to May 6, 1982 and on NBC from September 30, 1982 to June 15, 1983. The show focused on the everyday lives of the employees of the fictional Sunshine Cab Company, and took place almost exclusively at the company’s fleet garage in Manhattan.The employees of the cab company were a motley crew, including frustrated actor Bobby Wheeler (Jeff Conoway), struggling boxer Tony Banta (Tony Danza), art gallery receptionist and single mother Elaine Nardo (Marilu Henner), and tyranical dispatcher Louie De Palma (Danny De Vito). For almost everyone, the cab company was just a temporary job that could be left behind when they made it in their chosen professions. Only Alex Reiger (Judd Hirsch), who was disillusioned with life, considered cab driving his profession. The others viewed it as a temporary job. Other characters were “Reverend Jim” Ignatowski (Christopher Lloyd), an aging hippie minister who is burnt out from drugs, so the others help him become a cabbie, and Latka Gravas (Andy Kaufman), the innocent, wide-eyed mechanic from an unnamed foreign country.

A number of episodes involved a character having an opportunity to realize his dream to move up in the world, only to see it yanked away. Otherwise, the cabbies dealt on a daily basis with their unsatisfying lives and with Louie’s abusive behavior and contempt.

Despite the humor of the Emmy award winning show, “Taxi” often tackled such dramatic life issues as drug addiction, single parenthood, obesity, animal abuse, homosexuality, racism, teenage runaways, divorce, sexual harassment, PMS, gambling addiction, and grief.

Previous BATZAP 2021 posts: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S

22 thoughts on “T is for “Taxi”

1. Lisa M. Boyd April 23, 2021 / 9:14 am

Okay how funny got this series for my husband for his birthday in March. We are old school, and still buy the boxed sets. We just started it because we were finishing Coach (another great one). I had seen a few series of Taxi, but not many as it is a little bit before my time. I absolutely love it. I love all the characters, and it was very well done. It chills me out more than some series. The music at the beginning is so 70’s, and gets chill mode going instantly. Love Taxi!

• Fandango April 23, 2021 / 11:39 pm

It was a fantastic show with an outstanding cast. And “Coach” was another great show.

2. Lisa Elliott April 23, 2021 / 9:49 am

This is a great theme for April A to Z! You are helping me to remember shows I haven’t watched in years! We saw Judd Hirsch in a play in Washington DC about 34 years ago. It is always interesting to see someone in a different character role.

• Fandango April 23, 2021 / 11:41 pm

Thanks. Judd Hirsch is a good actor.

3. rugby843 April 23, 2021 / 11:25 am

Christopher Lloyd is a unique actor🥰

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

4. J.E.M. Wildfire April 23, 2021 / 12:49 pm

Taxi was another great show & great ensemble cast. My favorite, I think, was Rev. Jim. Latka was a close 2nd.

5. Marleen April 24, 2021 / 9:24 pm

I watched this show, not infrequently. But my feeling when remembering it is as a little depressing. And now there’s Uber.