Scratching My Head

I am scratching my head, wondering if I’m losing my mind or if WordPress is gaslighting me. As I announced in this post, I decided to embrace the block editor on my iPhone. Well, actually, WordPress decided for me when they removed the classic editor from their iOS app, as I explained in this post.

I’m not a novice blogger, but when it comes to using the block editor on my iPhone, I am definitely a neophyte. But I decided the best way for me to master the block editor is to just do it. And I was doing okay using the block editor without suffering undo agony. But I got to a point where I was unsure how to do something in the block editor, so I thought I’d call up the more familiar classic block. But the classic block was nowhere to be found on the iOS app. So I sent a message to the happiness engineers.

I’ve been trying to use the block editor on my iPhone, but I can’t seem to find the classic block in the latest version (17.1) of the app. It’s not listed as a block when I hit the plus sign and there’s no “search blocks” field that allows me to find it. So can you tell me how to add the classic block, as has been suggested, when it’s not there?

And this is the response I got.

I’m glad to know that you’ve taken the initiative to try out the block editor! I hope the experience was good. Regarding adding the classic block in the app, unfortunately, it isn’t supported in the latest version of the iOS app.

What? For months WordPress has been saying that we could use the classic block in the block editor in the iOS app to help us “bridge the gap” between the classic editor and the block editor, but now they’re saying that the classic block, which I know used to be in the block editor on the iOS app, is no longer there. Seriously?

I think we are being gaslighted.

20 thoughts on “Scratching My Head

1. Sadje April 22, 2021 / 4:34 pm

I don’t know why they want people to use only one type of editor? Why not give the user the option to select what they want? It’s frustrating

• Carl Setzer April 22, 2021 / 4:54 pm

Sadje, well, I’m pretty sure the reason they want to keep one interface is simple maintenance cost. It takes more effort to maintain two editors. However, from a user interface perspective, I think it’s a bad idea. Putting the users first has been critical to their success. Now is not the time to change that.

For me, personally, I’ve had issues uploading images with the iOS WordPress Block Editor and the ONLY work-around has been to shift back to classic. They need to fix all the bugs BEFORE they discontinue some function. Our challenge, as users, is that we don’t have much in the way of options. I might need to write a post about migrating from WordPress to Joomla.

• Sadje April 22, 2021 / 5:44 pm

I think that they are making a bad choice. I’ve heard that you can get to use the classic editor on high paying plans.

• Fandango April 22, 2021 / 8:55 pm

Yes, there is a classic editor plugin but you have to be on the Business Plan to use plugins.

• Fandango April 22, 2021 / 8:53 pm

No it doesn’t…except when it comes to WordPress, that is.

2. Paula Light April 22, 2021 / 11:15 pm

I love my iPhone, but I have been mostly blogging from my Lenovo laptop and things are working out better. But there are still waaay too many glitches. For example, every time I redo a post, WP updates the “slug” (the link), so that it reflects the new title and date. EXCEPT TODAY when it messed up my post for Lynn’s Tuesday Picture Prompt. I had to manually fix the slug and repost it. Gah!

3. Marilyn Armstrong April 23, 2021 / 4:08 pm

Use “Paragraph.” It’s the same thing, but a bit more versatile. I hated the “classic” format. It’s immovable. You can’t delete it, cut it and move the text, or do any of the normal things any paragraph ought to do. You can’t even add a picture. Paragraph basically does the same thing, but you can delete it, cut and move it, and add a picture. It’s a much better structure than classic.

• Fandango April 23, 2021 / 11:57 pm

You seem to be a fan now of the block editor.

4. jilldennison April 23, 2021 / 5:09 pm

WordPress seems to have gotten a bit too big and has forgotten that old saying that ‘the customer is always right’. They expect us to conform to whatever changes they decide to make, whether we like them or not. I suppose in part it is because there really isn’t another viable alternative, but still … every change they have made has cost us time and frustration. I wish there were a better option!

• Fandango April 23, 2021 / 11:59 pm

You’re right. And sadly, there isn’t a better alternative. At least not one I have found.

• jilldennison April 24, 2021 / 1:09 pm

Nope, there isn’t. A friend tried another route and lost about 90% of his followers. So, I’ll stick with WP and keep trying to convince them that our opinions really ought to matter to them. Maybe we should all go on a week-long strike if things get worse!

5. leigha66 April 26, 2021 / 10:41 pm

That doesn’t surprise me that they pulled the classic. Hmm, a week off… but they still get all the yearly fee money so I don’t know that taking a week off would hurt them.