S is for “Seinfield”

“Seinfeld” was an American sitcom television series created by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld. It aired on NBC from July 5, 1989, to May 14, 1998, over nine seasons and 180 episodes. The show starred Jerry Seinfeld as a fictionalized version of himself. He was the main protagonist and the show focused on his personal life with three of his friends, George Costanza (Jason Alexander), former girlfriend Elaine Benes (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), and neighbor across the hall Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards). It was set mostly in an apartment building in Manhattan’s Upper West Side in New York City.“Seinfeld” was often described as “a show about nothing,” focusing on the minutiae of daily life. But in 2014 Jerry Seinfeld said that the real pitch for the show when he and Larry David went to NBC in 1988, was that they wanted to show how a comedian got his material.

Most episodes revolved around the characters’ involvement in the lives of others with typically disastrous results. And unlike most sitcoms, there were no moments where the audience was made to feel sorry for any of the characters, who were thirty-something singles with vague identities, no roots, and conscious indifference to morals.

“Seinfeld” broke several conventions of mainstream television. Larry David was credited with refusing to follow the predictable sitcom formula that would have a blossoming romantic relationship develop between Jerry and Elaine. The show offered no growth or reconciliation to its characters, and eschewed sentimentality.

“Seinfeld” was widely regarded as one of television’s greatest and most influential sitcoms, and has been ranked among the best television shows of all time.

Previous BATZAP 2021 posts: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R

19 thoughts on “S is for “Seinfield”

1. newepicauthor April 22, 2021 / 6:15 am

I loved watching this show, but when I moved down South there was nobody to talk with about it, so it must have been a Northern thing.

2. Lisa M. Boyd April 22, 2021 / 8:15 am

I just bought the whole series for my husband this last Christmas. Then came Kramer’s lobster shirt which is so awesome! Every time he wears it it is a huge comic relief, and hit! Great series!

3. rugby843 April 22, 2021 / 11:07 am

I still watch the outtake videos

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

4. msjadeli April 22, 2021 / 3:24 pm

Just like All in the Family, I think Seinfeld is woven into the fabric of American culture. I was never a fanatic about the show, but I enjoyed watching it. Favorite character: Kramer.

5. Taswegian1957 April 23, 2021 / 10:06 pm

I watched quite a few episodes, David liked it. I have to say that I didn’t find any of the characters particularly likeable so I didn’t really enjoy the show. I see what they were trying to do but it wasn’t for me. Kramer was gross.

6. leigha66 April 26, 2021 / 9:31 pm

This is one that I never really got into. It was alright, but just not a favorite of mine.