An Old Dog Apparently Can Learn New Tricks

I have been resistant to using the block editor on my iPhone because I thought it would be close to impossible to use on the relatively small screen of an iPhone. But then the powers that be over at WordPress decided to remove the option to use the classic editor on the latest update to its iOS app. This is forcing me to either embrace the block editor on my iPhone, to quit using my iPhone for my blog and to start using a Windows laptop, or to quit blogging altogether.

While pondering my options, last night my wife and I picked up some Chinese take-out for dinner, and when I opened up my fortune cookie at the end of the meal, this is what I found inside of it:

So, I decided to heed the message in my fortune cookie and not be afraid to try something new. To that end, I’m using the block editor on my iPhone to create this post. In fact, this is my fourth post that I’ve created on my iPhone using the dreaded block editor since yesterday.

And do you know what I have discovered? I have discovered that it ain’t that terrible. It will take some getting used to, and it will take me a bit longer, at least for now until I do get used to it, to write my posts.

So I guess an old dog like me really can learn some new tricks after all.

Now if only WordPress would get around to fixing that damn bug that was introduced in its iOS app last November that prevents me from liking and commenting on some other bloggers’ posts, I’d be a happy camper.

38 thoughts on “An Old Dog Apparently Can Learn New Tricks

1. annieasksyou April 21, 2021 / 11:56 am

I knew this would happen, but it’s a great relief to hear you’ve passed the maybe not stage.

Proud of you, Fandango—and all it took was a fortune cookie!

2. KL Caley April 21, 2021 / 12:26 pm

Fortune cookie fate. I’m used to the block editor now (I think) but I can’t live without the wp-admin page that they changed a few weeks ago, after spending two frustrating days without I contacted wp support and was relieved there was a setting to put it back. Phew! KL ❤

• Fandango April 21, 2021 / 1:09 pm

Yeah, I guess that is what it means. Thanks, Jim. Your comment means a lot to me.

3. bushboy April 21, 2021 / 3:09 pm

I knew you would give it a go. I have resisted nagging you to just do it.

4. mosckerr April 21, 2021 / 5:46 pm

Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, whose death was initially believed to be caused by rioters during the Jan. 6 insurrection, succumbed to natural causes stemming from a stroke the day after the violence, according to the top medical examiner in the nation’s capital.

Francisco J. Diaz, the chief medical examiner for Washington, D.C., told the Washington Post that Sicknick died on Jan. 7 after suffering two strokes and he did not suffer an allergic reaction to any chemical irritants.

This is an undeniable blow to the assertions that Sicknick died as a result of something that happened to him on January 6th. Not only did he suffer multiple strokes, but those strokes also were not brought on by any chemical irritant such as pepper spray. That was a going theory by prosecutors until this point. The medical examiner determined the death was via natural causes and there appears to be nothing that connects the event to the crowd that day.

It is absolutely disgusting to think back to how the news media, Joe Biden, Democrats at large, and some Republicans used Sicknick’s death to score political points. And they did so without one ounce of evidence to do so. Sicknick lay in state at the Capitol under the guise that he had been murdered by Trump supporters. We now know that story was completely false. What now? Will there be apologies to the family for using their loved one as a political prop? Will there be apologies to those who wanted to wait and see what was actually true in regards to the claims of “insurrection” that day?

• Marleen April 21, 2021 / 6:39 pm

The story was completely false? I guess your point is that the attack on the Capitol and on the police, including spraying the police officer (Sicknick), was fine or normal. You’ll be happy if someone comes and sprays bear repellent at you. And, so long as you aren’t directly allergic to the chemicals, you won’t be stressed about it.

• mosckerr April 22, 2021 / 12:39 am

Based upon the presented evidence … the DemoRATS staged the “”riot”” ( folks dolled up in Halloween costumes) to discredit Trump whose rally — some 2 miles distant.

• Fandango April 22, 2021 / 8:45 pm

Sadly, he’s not the only one who believes that.

• mosckerr April 22, 2021 / 10:21 pm

Since when did politics descend unto a theological belief system. ‘Boy ya just got to believe … brother! Now give me an Amen”. Bullshit.

• Marleen April 22, 2021 / 1:19 pm

Diaz’s ruling does not mean Sicknick was not assaulted or that the violent events at the Capitol did not contribute to his death. The medical examiner noted Sicknick was among the officers who engaged the mob and said “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

The Capitol Police said in its statement that the ruling “does not change the fact Officer Brian Sicknick died in the line of duty, courageously defending Congress and the Capitol.” The agency said it will “never forget Officer Sicknick’s bravery, nor the bravery of any officer on January 6, who risked their lives to defend our democracy.”

• mosckerr April 22, 2021 / 10:22 pm

Died in the line of duty due to a stroke.

• mosckerr April 22, 2021 / 10:44 pm

Folks dressed in Halloween costumes frolicking inside Congress compare to the US imperialist disaster directly comparable to Vietnam incompetence. As of 18 May 2020, there have been 3,502 coalition deaths in Afghanistan. Did these rioters plant IED’s like Ho Chi Minh & the Taliban commanded? No. The comparison falls totally flat b/c it does not even exist.

• mosckerr April 24, 2021 / 9:21 pm

How did you determine the story as “completely false”. Personally, simply do not trust the Corporate media. I do not know, for example, that Sicknick suffered any type of chemical attack. Again, personally did not witness this and do not trust the trash published by the media. Something on par with normal Russians living in the USSR dictatorship, did not trust the News published by Pravda. Would you jump for joy if someone pepper sprayed you in the face? LOL

• Fandango April 21, 2021 / 6:54 pm

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the stroke “by natural causes” was a direct result of the violent and brutal attack from the day before? You need to stop reading all that bullshit from the far right.

• mosckerr April 22, 2021 / 12:41 am

Googled “stroke by natural causes”: not a single hit on “the violent an brutal attack”.

5. Carol anne April 21, 2021 / 10:44 pm

Fandango, thats awesome!
    can you tell me how to add photos using the block editor? I cant find a place to insert media? any help on that? xoxo

• Fandango April 21, 2021 / 11:19 pm

There is a block labeled “Image.” That’s the block you should use to add photos.

• Carol anne April 22, 2021 / 12:08 am

Okay, but do you have to add the blocks to your post? Or are they already there or do I have to add them as I go

• Fandango April 22, 2021 / 4:25 am

The default block is the paragraph block and you can just start typing your text. To see other blocks, like images, hit the plus sign to see all of the block options.

6. Jay April 22, 2021 / 4:34 am

Well done! And here’s hoping WordPress fixes the bug soon!

7. Renard Moreau April 22, 2021 / 5:49 am

🙂 That is good news, Fandango. I am pleased to know that you are getting the hang of the Block Editor (The truth is that one needs to get comfortable with it before they can grow to like it).

By the way, did you contact the Happiness Engineers in regards to that iOS bug that prevents you from commenting and liking on some of the blogs of bloggers on WordPress?

• Fandango April 22, 2021 / 6:47 am

I have been in continual contact for the past five-plus months with the Happiness Engineers who say they are working on a fix but have no definitive time frame.

8. Marilyn Armstrong April 22, 2021 / 11:12 am

The other day, Garry wrote a post for me. He used the block editor. I don’t think he knew what he was usring. he just wrote the story and handed it off to me for editing — which is what we always do. He didn’t have any problems with it and to be fair, they have definitely made some improvements to it in the past few weeks, especially for graphics and also in making the menus less chaotic. I discovered if I essentially ignore it and more on, it’s not great but it’s okay. It required that I be less complicated with graphics, but probably that’s okay too.

I just figured if GARRY could use it, surely so could I!

• Fandango April 22, 2021 / 8:44 pm

It is different, but different doesn’t necessarily mean better.

9. telugubloggersreenadh April 24, 2021 / 8:55 am