Q is for “Quincy, M.E.”

“Quincy, M.E.” was an American mystery medical drama television series that aired on NBC from October 3, 1976, to May 11, 1983. Jack Klugman starred in the title role as a Los Angeles County medical examiner (coroner) who routinely engaged in police investigations.Quincy’s job was to determine the reasons for suspicious deaths. His theories about the cause of death often put him at odds with his boss and the police. Quincy was a stubborn, crusading medical examiner who solved cases using forensic analysis, crime scene investigation techniques, and sharp intuition years before the popular “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” franchise began.

“Quincy” was originally broadcast as 90-minute telefilms as part of the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie rotation in the autumn of 1976, alongside “Columbo,” “McCloud,” and “McMillan & Wife.” The series proved popular enough that after four episodes of “Quincy, M.E.” had aired during the 1976–1977 season in the extended format, “Quincy” was spun off into its own weekly one-hour series without a typical 60-minute pilot. Instead, a two-hour episode kicked off a thirteen-episode shortened run of the series, which concluded the 1976–1977 season, while the Mystery Movie format was discontinued in the spring of 1977.

“Quincy, M.E.” focused largely on using medical methods in criminal investigations. It was one of the first, if not the first, to use in-depth forensic methods and crime scene investigation techniques to analyze evidence, provide facts, and support theories about why crimes were committed. It was also one of the first dramatic series to use a format like this to further a social agenda. Quincy would find himself involved with police investigations that revealed situations such as a disreputable plastic surgeon and the reasons his poor surgeries were not stopped, flaws in drunk driving laws, problems caused by aviation safety issues, dumping of hazardous waste, the proliferation of handguns, autism, Tourette’s syndrome, orphan drugs, and anorexia, among others.

The “Quincy, M.E.” series was distinguished from other shows in the genre in one obvious way — the show often used the same actors and actresses in different roles in various episodes.

Previous BATZAP 2021 posts: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P

28 thoughts on “Q is for “Quincy, M.E.”

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 2:35 pm

Klugman was always do intense ob this show.

1. Marleen April 20, 2021 / 7:22 am

I watched it, sometimes. He was a good character. (I watched The Odd Couple more.) Later, I sometimes watched House; this was because my teenage sons liked it.

• Marleen April 20, 2021 / 7:26 am

I tried to watch the full Chauvin trial (with all the medical people). I had a lot of distraction over the past couple weeks. I hope the jurors don’t really think it’s complicated.

• Marleen April 20, 2021 / 9:47 am

In the defense’s closing arguments, reference was made to that part of town. It was reported, ahead of time, that neither side would make reference to blackness. But Chauvinism’s defense talked about the dangerous area.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvOTlhDp-qQ Let’s talk about where his parents were….

And we’ve accrued another incident and set of excuses (although this one is significantly different).

2. rugby843 April 20, 2021 / 8:42 am

You are reminding me of old favorites, thank you!🤓

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

3. msjadeli April 20, 2021 / 6:33 pm

Great to get a recap on the story origin and special distinguishing features. Totally didn’t know it was added to the holy trinity of Columbo, McCloud, and McMillan and Wife. I watched and liked all of them. So Quincy was first on forensic crime investigation. Very cool. So many imitators have followed since then…

My “Q” song for the day:

A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 17 Quizz Kid (from Too Old to Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young to Die!) (1976)

4. Carol anne April 21, 2021 / 12:13 am

I’ve never seen this show! I’d like it though as I like that sorta thing!

5. Marleen April 21, 2021 / 9:10 am

The term M.E. was in the news a lot, yesterday. I don’t remember calling this show “Quincy, M.E.” (only “Quincy”). When I heard the designation on television, real time, it was often sounding like “Emmy.” It seems some people in medical and legal professions accent it differently than I would figure, at least sometimes.

6. J-Dub April 22, 2021 / 3:30 pm

I loved Quincy! Well anything Jack aka “Oscar” was in was something I wanted to watch.

7. leigha66 April 25, 2021 / 11:00 am

It was a great show in its time. It is kind of fun to look back at it now after watching CSI and alike shows… Quincy rarely using gloves is the biggest glaring oversite I noticed, but many cross contamination issues too. Good choice Fandango!