Damn You, WordPress

Now you’ve gone and done it, WordPress. You’ve removed the “Use Block Editor” toggle on the settings menu in the latest update (version 17.1) of the WordPress iOS app.

Up until yesterday, if this toggle was set to off, I could create new posts on my iPhone using the iOS version of the classic editor, or what I referred to as “classic lite.” Now those of us, like me, who blog primarily from our iPhones, have no choice when creating a new post other than to use the block editor. There is no longer an option to switch to the classic editor.

Interestingly, there are still ways to access the classic editor when using wordpress.com in a browser on a laptop, but that option is no longer available in the iOS app.

Yes, because you’ve given me no choice, I’m struggling to write this post on my iPhone using the block editor. And at this point, I’m going to have to try to push my way through this because I am not ready to quit blogging.

But I have always felt that when the day comes that blogging on WordPress becomes more of a chore than a pleasure, it will be time for me to leave. And with this latest decision on your part to remove the classic editor altogether from the iOS app, that day may finally have come.

At the risk of sounding overly melodramatic, I feel like I’m standing at the precipice and all I see before me is a blogging abyss.

63 thoughts on “Damn You, WordPress

1. Lou Carreras April 20, 2021 / 4:02 am

I mostly use my desktop, but some of their changes a royal pain for me as well. What platforms do you see as an alternative?

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 2:12 pm

Some former WordPress bloggers have moved to Wix.

2. Astrid April 20, 2021 / 4:10 am

Oh, that sucks big time! I’ll try to see if there’s a workaround. I mostly blog on my desktop, but I’d really like to still be able to blog on my iPhone too.

3. dharkanein April 20, 2021 / 4:12 am

Don’t quit please. And if you do, let us know the alternative you’ve opted for. So, we can find you there too.

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 2:14 pm

I am hoping to stay, but if I do go, I’ll let you know where.

• dharkanein April 20, 2021 / 6:12 pm

Thank you. WordPress is loosing many good bloggers just because of this block editor. I hope it changes back.

4. Mason Bushell April 20, 2021 / 4:24 am

Gah! They have to keep messing about with it, don’t they. They updated the post colour options on mine and made it a nightmare to get the colours I need last week. The platform was fine why did they have to keep messing with it, it’s so annoying! I don’t blame you for wanting to quit, my friend. You will be missed if you go though.

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 2:28 pm

They seem to embrace the concept of change for the sake of change.

• Mason Bushell April 21, 2021 / 2:05 am

I agree. each change is seldom better than what it was previous that’s for sure. Annoying buggers!

5. Renard Moreau April 20, 2021 / 4:31 am

🤔 On a positive note, you handled the Block Editor rather well.

It will take a bit of practice for you to get accustomed to it.

• Sadje April 20, 2021 / 4:42 pm

Do I have a choice? I thought it updates automatically.

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 10:47 pm

That depends upon whether your iPhone settings are set for auto updates.

• Sadje April 20, 2021 / 11:10 pm

I think it probably is on auto updates. I’ll check and see.

6. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing April 20, 2021 / 4:59 am

Please don’t go! I think it’s amazing that you blog on a; iPhone. I just cannot do it. iPad at least, but preferably laptop. I struggle with both iPhone and iPad as WP does not let me Like or Comment on so many sites if I use the app. I get messages from bloggers saying they cannot post to my blog either. Probably because they are using the app too. If 8 use iPhone or iPad I have to use Safari to pen WP in order too be able to like and comment. My question is, “What’s the point of a WP app?”. It gives many of us so many problems lately. 😧

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 2:32 pm

That inability to like or comment on a lot of posts with an iPhone is due to that bug that WordPress introduced with version 16.0 of its iOS app last November and which I e been fighting with them about since then.

7. lifelessons April 20, 2021 / 5:30 am

I feel the same way re/ using WP. If it ever comes to their removing the classic on the computer version, I will probably end my blog. It’s been a good run, but enough is enough. What can be their purpose in forcing us to use a platform we do not like? This is happening more and more frequently on every front in the Internet. It seems to me to be change for change’s sake.

• Lou Carreras April 20, 2021 / 5:57 am

WordPress is so big on the internet today that they think they can now arbitrarily present things to us and make us accept them. Power corrupts .

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 2:33 pm

You’re right. They think they’re too big to listen to their users.

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 2:32 pm

Change for change’s sake is exactly right. 😡

8. Alice DeForest April 20, 2021 / 1:58 pm

I cannot write on the iPhone with any editor, just can’t figure it out, the only thing I can do is post photos

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 10:39 pm

It just takes getting used to using a virtual keypad and having a small screen.

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 10:48 pm

I’m not sure yet. I haven’t found another blog hosting site that has the same interactive community of bloggers.

9. Marilyn Armstrong April 20, 2021 / 6:23 pm

The mighty do fall and so will they. I can get along with the block editor at this point, but I can see where it absolutely wouldn’t work on a telephone. It requires a lot more space than a phone allows. They’ve fixed a lot of the graphic issues that were making it impossible for me to work.

But. That being said, I dislike being pushed around especially when I’m paying for the privilege. Also, this HAS been a good run. A LONG run. I’m not sure I want this level of commitment every day — no matter what format they decide to use. I may drift along so when I feel like writing, I can and when I have pictures to show off, I can do that too. I’ve been posting daily — except when I was too sick to work — for 9 years. The glory days of blogging are drawing to a close anyway, It’s just hard to abandon something into which i put so much effort for so long.

I think my problem is not even about formats anymore. They are about feeling that I’m being pushed around and disrespected. And feeling that somehow, this has changed from being fun to being another obligation and responsibility. I guess I’ll figure it out. But with you guys gone, I’m not sure it will be much fun anymore. Too many losses.

• Fandango April 20, 2021 / 10:54 pm

I agree about feeling pushed around. They’re turning a deaf ear to their users.

10. Jay April 20, 2021 / 8:16 pm

I think the block editor (almost wrote bollock editor, which… wouldn’t be too bad) is one of the most unpopular decisions the WP team has made. I have hated it ever since it showed up, and even more as I lost the option to use the classic editor without going into the admin panel. Sadly, it seems like it’s here to stay. 😦

Seconding and thirding everyone who asked you to let us know where you’re going!

11. RuthScribbles April 21, 2021 / 7:53 am

I’ve been using the block editor on my iphone. i’m finding it ok, especially when I hit return, a new text block starts. I also like the add image block and the heading block and the verse block.

12. ghostmmnc April 25, 2021 / 7:59 am

It’s truly sad the way things are going on WP these days. I tried the block and hated it, so I’ve been still using classic – for as long as I can. I only use my desktop for blogging.
    What is this Wix?
    I still have my Blogger account which I could use, but there is just no comparison with the interaction with other bloggers who are so friendly over here.
    I hope you continue as long as possible.

• Fandango April 25, 2021 / 10:48 am

I agree with you about the lack of interaction with other blog hosting sites like Blogger. I know of a few bloggers who have moved to Wix, but I don’t know much about it yet.

13. leigha66 April 25, 2021 / 10:42 am

I am willing to bet since WP is such a popular site they feel invincible and can do what ever they want and still have enough users they have not alienated to thrive. Their ego is bigger than their loyalty. I do hope you can make the block editor work for you. If you do decide to go to another site PLEASE let us know where it is, I would hop over just to read your posts. If you decide to give up blogging know you will be greatly missed!

• Fandango April 25, 2021 / 10:53 am

Thanks, Leigha. Umm going to try to master the block editor, and we’ll see what happens.

• Ari October April 25, 2021 / 10:38 pm

Spamming other people’s posts with this is very ineffective and makes them even less likely to actually check out your blog.

• Ari October April 26, 2021 / 9:47 am

Didn’t think you did, which is precisely why I told you! All it takes for people to notice your blog is patience and dedication 🙂 WordPress is a slower site, not like instagram and twitter. It takes a lot longer to grow a following here so just do it cause you enjoy it!

14. Ari October April 25, 2021 / 10:37 pm

Goodness, makes me glad I’m already used to the block editor. I’m on Android but I’m sure they’ll role out that crap to us too.

15. Rabia Akram April 29, 2021 / 4:27 am

I was thinking there was some kind of problem with my phone. I never knew it was a WordPress doing. I am also missing a classic editor. I, myself, not a big fan of the block editor. To avoid using block editor, I am back to HTML mode. It’s tricky though but I like the plain style of writing a blog post. So, yes, damn you WordPress!

16. Aarsh Talati May 4, 2021 / 10:54 pm

I liked block editor better! I start my blogs on my phone and complete them on my desktop. I also use Google sites, and they also use block editor. In my 14 years of experience blogging on WordPress, I think this is by far the best enhancement they have made.

• Fandango May 4, 2021 / 11:03 pm

I have to admit that, now that WordPress forced me to use the block editor when they shitcanned the classic editor option on the iOS app, it’s not as bad as I thought it was when I first tried it. Still, for my purposes, though, I was quite content with the classic editor.

• Aarsh Talati May 4, 2021 / 11:10 pm

I do this and I hope this helps you. On my phone, I just use Google Docs app to gather my thoughts, distraction free.
        Then re-arrange, format as needed in WordPress for drafting & publishing.