Sadje’s Sunday Poser — Listen Carefully

Sadje asks us today if we are good listeners. When I was a kid, I was a terrible listener. I really didn’t care that much about what other people were saying. All that was important to me was what I had to say.

But when I joined my high school debate team, my coach called me aside and told me that if I wanted to be successful on the debate team — and in life — I should learn to listen for understanding, not for rebuttal.

I took his advice to heart and it served me well, both on the debate team and throughout my life.

But now that I’m a septuagenarian, I don’t really care that much about what other people are saying. All that is important to me is what I have to say.

14 thoughts on “Sadje’s Sunday Poser — Listen Carefully

1. newepicauthor April 18, 2021 / 12:52 pm

My ex used to say that I never listened and then I would ask her what she said.

2. Marleen April 18, 2021 / 1:02 pm

I recently said to someone, “Are you getting the key word, here, listening? You don’t do it.”

3. Sadje April 18, 2021 / 4:32 pm

Your coach gave you great advice. I’m also given this advice, mostly by my daughter. I am improving on my listening and not interrupting abilities. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Fandango

4. dharkanein April 18, 2021 / 6:48 pm

Ha ha. In the end, you returned back to who you were.

5. Melanie B Cee April 19, 2021 / 7:56 am

There is a comic strip that reminds me of your post today…and since I can’t put graphics in the comments section, I’ll briefly describe it. The first panel shows a baby, diapers and bottle; the second a little boy, the third a gangly teenager, the fourth a man, the fifth an older man, a bit bald and with a slight paunch, and the sixth shows an old old man, in a push chair, (presumably) wearing diapers and with a bottle. It’s pretty funny if you think about the cycle of life..we end up where we were.

• Fandango April 19, 2021 / 8:56 am

Yep, I do feel more child-like the older I get. 🙄

6. leigha66 April 24, 2021 / 8:11 am

If someone has something to say, I think I am a good listener. But there are those who drone on and never really get to a point. Great post!

Comments are closed.