SoCS — M is for Mash

No, this isn’t a part of this month’s A to Z Blogging Challenge. It’s actually in response to Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, where she gives us the word “mash.” But since I’d already used my “M” prompt with “Mork & Mindy,” I thought I’d just highlight another great TV show that started with the letter “M” on today’s SoCS post.

“M*A*S*H” (an acronym for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) was an American war comedy-drama television series that aired on CBS from 1972 to 1983.

The show was an ensemble piece revolving around key personnel in the 4077th MASH unit in the Korean War (1950–53). The MASH team cared for the injured during the war and used humor to escape from the horror and depression of the situation. Among the 4077th’s people are Captains Benjamin “Hawkeye” Pierce (Alan Alda), and “Trapper John” McIntire (Wayne Rogers), B.J. Honeycutt (Mike Farrell), Majors Margaret “Hot Lips” Houlihan (Loretta Swift) and Frank Burns (Larry Linville), Corporals Walter “Radar” O’Reilly (Gary Burghoff) and Maxwell Klinger (Jamie Farr), and Colonel Sherman Potter (Henry Morgan).

“Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen” was the final episode of “M*A*S*H.” It aired on February 28, 1983, and was 2 1/2 hours long and was watched by 125 million viewers.

21 thoughts on “SoCS — M is for Mash

1. Taswegian1957 April 17, 2021 / 4:24 am

David and I were both big fans of M*A*S*H. He introduced me to it although we often found different aspects of it entertaining. The cast was great, even the minor characters were well rounded I thought. I do like a show that makes you laugh, sometimes makes you cry and makes you care about the characters. And there was no swearing!

• Fandango April 17, 2021 / 7:45 am

It was very entertaining and the ensemble cast was excellent!

2. Sadje April 17, 2021 / 5:00 am

I saw a lot of reruns of MASH. Hilarious show

3. Mister Bump UK April 17, 2021 / 5:42 am

At the time, we got some of them shown without canned laughter. They were naturally good.

With the explosion of channels, some of them showed episodes *with* canned laughter, presumably as they had been shown in the US. Forced.

4. Marleen April 17, 2021 / 6:11 am

This is the first show my oldest son was somewhat attached to, as he approached age two. I didn’t play television shows throughout his day, on mother’s milk from the moment he was born. When we moved, a couple months before his second birthday, watching reruns of MASH in the early evening became a habit.

• Marleen April 17, 2021 / 6:20 pm

Another beginning television memory, but really at the beginning with this one, was The Olympics — after another son was born in a January (1994).

5. rugby843 April 17, 2021 / 6:29 am

Excellence in television

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

6. Danielle Falcon April 17, 2021 / 1:44 pm

One of my favorites! And it’s amazing how well they did showing some of the antics…definitely similar to the stuff we did while deployed!

• Fandango April 17, 2021 / 11:01 pm

I’ve heard that it was sort of representative of how things were at those MASH units.

• Fandango April 17, 2021 / 11:08 pm

It’s classic.

7. leigha66 April 21, 2021 / 11:39 am

I am so glad you could include this in you SOC post as it is such a great show. One of my favorites was the black and white one they did while being “interviewed” about the war. So many wonderful episodes!

Comments are closed.