Friday Fictioneers — Constant Flow

“Ta da!” Ryan said, extending his arm toward the end of the corridor at the shopping mall. “What do you think?”

Fran looked where Ryan was pointing and then back at Ryan. “What is it?”

”It’s a work of art,” Ryan said. “The owners of the mall commissioned me to create something for this dead space.

“Oh,” Fran said.

“I call it ‘Constant Flow’ because it uses a recirculating pump to keep the water flowing from the fire hose nozzle to the pool below and back up,” Ryan explained.

“I’m impressed,” Fran said, “that anyone would pay you for that.”

(100 words)

Written for the Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisigoths-Fields. Photo credit: Anne Higa.

25 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Constant Flow

1. msjadeli April 16, 2021 / 8:23 pm

I like the punchline at the end. No accounting for taste. You have to admit it looks better than a dark corner!

• Fandango April 16, 2021 / 11:36 pm

I suppose anything is better than a dark corner at a mall! 😉

2. GHLearner April 17, 2021 / 4:31 am

Yeah, far too many people look at art and say, ‘my three-year-old could have done that’ – or like here, ‘they paid you for it?’ The thing is, that the artist has the idea and carries it out, the others don’t. Good piece.

3. abigfatcanofworms April 17, 2021 / 4:36 am

I tried art classes for a while. I was so excited to discover that I could draw! But I felt like a fraud because I really don’t get a lot of art. Like the character in your story, I wouldn’t understand what makes it art as opposed to just a rearranged fountain. I like amazing paintings and sculptures. I can appreciate colour and shape. But I don’t really get art that needs a page of text to explain it or to give it meaning. Why not just write the text?

4. Nobbinmaug April 17, 2021 / 1:22 pm

There’s nothing like having supportive friends.

Malls aren’t that far from being dead space in our virtual world.

5. leigha66 April 21, 2021 / 1:16 am

Not everybody gets all art… it sure is better than blank space though.