Fandango’s Provocative Question #11 Revisited

FPQDuring the month of April, in addition to my regular topical posts as well as my prompt posts, I will be participating in the 2021 A to Z Challenge. I will post my A to Z post daily at 6 a.m. my time (Pacific). During the month, I will be revisiting four of my Provocative Question posts, which will be published on the four Wednesdays in April at 3:00 a.m. my time. If you didn’t respond to the original provocative question post and/or would like to post a new response, please feel free to do so. Or you can read the responses of other bloggers who did post responses to the original. Anyway, here goes:

Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question. By provocative, I don’t mean a question that will cause annoyance or anger. Nor do I mean a question intended to arouse sexual desire or interest.

This week’s provocative question deals with the concept of death with dignity.

Do you believe that terminally ill people should be allowed or encouraged to end their lives via physician-assisted suicide? If so, under any circumstances or should there be restrictions? If not, why not?

Optionally, if you were diagnosed with a terminal condition, would you consider physician-assisted suicide for yourself?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

And most important, have fun.

12 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #11 Revisited

• Fandango April 14, 2021 / 10:24 pm

Sorry about your snowy, mid-April weather.

• Melanie B Cee April 15, 2021 / 9:40 am

Thanks, Fandango! The snow did melt, but it began to rain. It snowed all afternoon and I thought “Brother. We’re in for it now.” It’s extremely strange weather wherever one lives though, isn’t it?

• Fandango April 15, 2021 / 10:31 pm

Not where I live. It never snows, rarely gets below freezing in the winter, but can reach triple digits in the summer. And we’re in the middle of a severe drought, so we’ll likely have a lot of wildfires this summer and fall.

1. Marleen April 14, 2021 / 8:18 am

First, I’m not generally in favor of this. I’m definitely not in favor of people being encouraged to commit suicide (assisted or whatever); how cruel and dismissive. I can understand that an individual might themselves prefer to end things in a controlled way, if said person has a painful and functionally-debilitating brain cancer (for example). Meanwhile, I myself would not want to go to extraordinary (or even ordinary but extreme) lengths to treat disease. I’m not interested in going through cancer treatment in order to then die of liver failure anyway. (That choice of action, inaction, is not really suicidal. But some people act like it is.)

2. pensitivity101 April 14, 2021 / 12:09 pm

This was my original response:

IMO it all comes down to quality of life and dignity. We wouldn’t let a beloved pet suffer, and I think there are circumstances where this option should be permitted without fear of prosecution. If it were me, I would not want to be a burden, and would like the choice to decide.

My opinion has not changed. I value and enjoy life as much as the next person, but if someone is in constant pain or their quality of life is non existent, then I think there should be a choice.

3. RuthScribbles April 15, 2021 / 8:07 am

very good question. my answer-it depends. i would not be able to administer such meds for someone to die when they have more life to live. but when in death bed and in pain, i say just give pain meds as needed to be comfortable even if it means the spirit departs from the body (hospice).

Comments are closed.